2004 - 2008 F-150

*** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm waiting for the procedure the Ford techs use. They must have some specs they work to.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:30 PM
My sincere thanks to rms8! Finally the bain of my truck ownership is gone!

I love everything about my truck except the brakes. From day one I thought that they were pretty pittiful given the girth of the vehicle. After visiting three different dealers I still had no resolution and was left with the feeling that is just how they are and I'd have to learn to live with it. 2 years later and I have finally been saved! 5 mintues and only 3/8 of a turn and already they are 1000% better. I will keep adjusting to get to the sweet spot but I think I am almost there. Now when someone asks me I can honestly say that I love EVERYTHING about my truck!

Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I dropped my truck off to the dealer this morning. I had to take the tech out for a ride to show him my problems. I told him i would not take my truck back from the dealer, until the brakes were right. I told him to adjust the rod, and he said he would not do it unless Ford agrees to it. I told him about this info on this site and told him to read on. I said that several members here are doing it and that there needs to be a TSB on it. He said the brakes feel normal. I said B.S.! We'll see what happens... By the way, If any one from the Ford plant or any of their engineers are reading this, Put better seat cushions in these trucks!!!! Man i'm pissed... They replaced my seat cushion and cover at 7000 miles, then at 11,000 miles, and it collapsed at 12,000 Miles!!! I only weigh 240lbs. This is Bull!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krpster
My sincere thanks to rms8! Finally the bain of my truck ownership is gone!

I love everything about my truck except the brakes. From day one I thought that they were pretty pittiful given the girth of the vehicle. After visiting three different dealers I still had no resolution and was left with the feeling that is just how they are and I'd have to learn to live with it. 2 years later and I have finally been saved! 5 mintues and only 3/8 of a turn and already they are 1000% better. I will keep adjusting to get to the sweet spot but I think I am almost there. Now when someone asks me I can honestly say that I love EVERYTHING about my truck!

Thanks again!

You're VERY welcomed! Glad to see so many happier F150 owners !!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by FX4ME2
I dropped my truck off to the dealer this morning. I had to take the tech out for a ride to show him my problems. I told him i would not take my truck back from the dealer, until the brakes were right. I told him to adjust the rod, and he said he would not do it unless Ford agrees to it. I told him about this info on this site and told him to read on. I said that several members here are doing it and that there needs to be a TSB on it. He said the brakes feel normal. I said B.S.!

My dealer wasn’t nearly as arrogant as that! I was dealing with the service manager 1-on-1. He and I took another F150 on the lot and test drove it, we then hoped in mine so he could see the difference in the brake pedal. Have this genius of a mechanic do a comparison test drive of your truck vs. another on the lot.

Oh, and show him this reply too!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:02 AM
im going to make this attempt today if not tomorrow.. Ford installed a new MC, and blead the intire system felt good for 10 miles them right back low again.. plus my master was mysteriously leaking with 1900 miles on it.. im glad that we have members like RMS8 to help us with theseminor but sometimes major issues.. i have an 07 super cab all black that i leased to tow my all black 03 Lightning, i just picked up an EDGE programmer, and an airaid intake.. i am on the reserve list for the outlaw intake but i got tired of waiting.. anyway i love my Ford trucks .. the best never rest!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Well i called the dealer and they are tearing down my rear end now. I asked about the brakes, and they said it was normal for that vehicle. They told me that they called Fords Hotline, and they are not to do anything to it, and that its normal. I told him that my brakes suck, and i have been unhappy since day one. Even Mike Troyer said my brakes are soft when he backed it on the Dyno a couple of months ago. I gave them the number of the dealer that fixed it and said call him. If this **** keeps up, I might start looking at other Manufacturers. I'm getting tired of all the nickle dime **** with this truck. The big three wonders why they are in trouble...

Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I asked about the brakes, and they said it was normal for that vehicle. They told me that they called Fords Hotline, and they are not to do anything to it, and that its normal. I told him that my brakes suck, and i have been unhappy since day one. I gave them the number of the dealer that fixed it and said call him.

Just do the test drive comparison with the Service Manager! Once he is FORCED to feel the difference, what else can he say???? David (my service manager) has been nothing but helpful throughout my ordeal! Get that JAG to test drive another F150 then immediately drive yours (each time with you in the trucks and test driving also).

Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Well i stopped at the dealer today to see how they are doing on my truck. I asked about the brake pedal issue, and he said that Ford stated that this is normal. Here is the response from fords hotline....
Tech's question: customer is concerned with a soft brake pedal. We have verified it and it compaired it to like units, both the same. The customer has read on the internet that some dealers have been adjusting the master cylinder rod about 1/2 to 3/4 turn and has taken care of the problem. I was wondering if you have heard of this and if this is a recommended fix...
Question were you able to verify the concern?
Answer yes
Question Is there an appropriate pinpoint test in the WSM for this concern?
Answer Yes
Hotline recommendation: Based on the information provided, Ford does not recommend modifing the vehicle. The concern you are seeing is what is called brake booster step through and is considered normal as long as the performance is not effected. The more pressure you apply the further the pedal will go down. If needed contact the technical hotline to review this concern. Use CONTACTID 315571255.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Well if your brakes are doing what mine are.....putting extra pressure on the brake pedal does squat as far as making you slow down more. I'd say at 3/4 of the way down...I'm getting as much braking power as I'm gonna get. Pressing it all the way to the floor just gives my leg a workout. I'm not sure why they don't recommend adjusting the rod if that has helped several people here. I'm probably gonna try doing this in pretty soon and see if it helps me out. Thanks for the updates guys.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Well i stopped at the dealer today to see how they are doing on my truck. I asked about the brake pedal issue, and he said that Ford stated that this is normal. Here is the response from fords hotline....
Tech's question: customer is concerned with a soft brake pedal. We have verified it and it compaired it to like units, both the same. The customer has read on the internet that some dealers have been adjusting the master cylinder rod about 1/2 to 3/4 turn and has taken care of the problem. I was wondering if you have heard of this and if this is a recommended fix...
Question were you able to verify the concern?
Answer yes
Question Is there an appropriate pinpoint test in the WSM for this concern?
Answer Yes
Hotline recommendation: Based on the information provided, Ford does not recommend modifing the vehicle. The concern you are seeing is what is called brake booster step through and is considered normal as long as the performance is not effected. The more pressure you apply the further the pedal will go down. If needed contact the technical hotline to review this concern. Use CONTACTID 315571255.

Well FX4ME2, all I can say is that the rod adjustment solution worked for all those that have implemented it. I was fortunate enough to have a very cooperative and understanding Service Manager. He too spoke with Ford on this, although I don’t know what ever became of that.

In the end, I have “normal” brakes now on my truck. No more single pump to get a solid pedal. Worst case is that you just do it yourself. It would be well less than 30 minutes and it WILL resolve this pedal issue *IF* this pedal issue was present from day ONE!

Robert

Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Well i'm not done with this issue. I told them at the dealer that i'm not taking the truck off the lot until something is done PERIOD. I know how to do the fix, but i'm going to force them to do something about it. I'm standing my ground on this. It takes people like me to press this issue for all of us. This will force Ford to look into this. If more people get involved and do the same thing, they will have to do something about it. The dealership is just covering their butts by following what Ford says. They understand my concerns, and they have treated me excellent in this issue. They have talked with the dealership mgr. that found the fix for this. I feel that they are following Fords procedure, and that no one wants to attach their name to this repair until Ford deems this repair is proper. The dealership is not giving up, they are finishing all of my other problems with my truck, then they are going to look into this further.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i'm not done with this issue. I told them at the dealer that i'm not taking the truck off the lot until something is done PERIOD. . . .
to you for standing your ground. I am sick and tired of Ford failing to acknowledge known, proveable defects.

If your truck is under warranty, you should check Michigan's lemon laws. In California, you can threaten them with having to buy your truck back from you. Safety-related problems are treated harshly under our laws. Michigan, being home of (what used to be) The Big Three, may have softer laws, but it's worth checking.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Well i'm not done with this issue. I told them at the dealer that i'm not taking the truck off the lot until something is done PERIOD. I know how to do the fix, but i'm going to force them to do something about it. I'm standing my ground on this. It takes people like me to press this issue for all of us. This will force Ford to look into this. If more people get involved and do the same thing, they will have to do something about it. The dealership is just covering their butts by following what Ford says. They understand my concerns, and they have treated me excellent in this issue. They have talked with the dealership mgr. that found the fix for this. I feel that they are following Fords procedure, and that no one wants to attach their name to this repair until Ford deems this repair is proper. The dealership is not giving up, they are finishing all of my other problems with my truck, then they are going to look into this further.

Let us know what they (your dealer) do about the brakes!!!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Well i think tomorrow is judgement day. I stopped at the dealer today, and they finished up all of the other repairs. They are doing comparison test drives, and they are going to compare stopping pressure between my truck and others on the HEKA machine. (Heka is machine that they drive on and stop on to measure braking,etc) They have had a couple of test drives today, and they will get back with me tomorrow. So far, there is not a procedure or guideline to check the rod adjustment. All they say is that these newer style calipers are designed to have the pistons suck all the way back inside, so there is no brake drag of any kind. If the rod is adjusted the slightest bit to far, it is possible that it might cause brake drag and possibly burn up your brakes. So i encourage everyone that is doing this adjustment, do it carefully. If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it. Let's see if Ford gets involved here. I got to believe that somewhere is the specs on this adjustment. I think that the manufacturer of the brake booster and the master cylinder has these specs, and these trucks need to be checked.

Quick Reply: *** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***