2004 - 2008 F-150

*** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, i stopped at the dealership today. They had a guy call off sick, so they did not work on my truck. I did test drive a brand new f150, and to say the least, the brakes sucked on it too. I am going back tomorrow, they are going to switch tires off a new truck and put them on mine for a test drive. There is a whining sound coming from the rear end of my truck. It might be the tires, so they are going to rule that out with these other tires. I will try to drive another truck and hopefully it will be different. The problem is with f150's. I told him to drive the tauras that they gave me to drive. It has a nice hard, not spongy pedal. I don't want to drive a f250, because i will probably buy it.....

Old 03-28-2007, 05:50 PM
No worky on truck today they still were short handed again... Supposed to be tomorrow.... I think they are trying to get me to buy that f350 i was looking at $47K

Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4ME2
No worky on truck today they still were short handed again... Supposed to be tomorrow.... I think they are trying to get me to buy that f350 i was looking at $47K

If it's the new superduty, I say go for it!!!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Well...... The tire switch has proven there is a sound coming from the rear end, not my tires. The brake pedal issue still has not been decided... They have sent my truck out to get the rear power slider pulled and reinstalled because of the rattle. I told them i need it back tomorrow, i'm going to VA. to pick up my travel trailer on Monday.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Well the back window is supposed to be fixed, i haven't heard it rattle yet. The Brake issue just flat PISSES ME OFF. The dealer called FORDS hotline and they said thats normal again. WELL FORD CAN KISS MY ***. I will never buy another FORD product again. I brought my truck home and adjusted the rod 1 full turn, And it's A TOTALLY different NOW!!! I just wanted to say thanks to the guy that started this thread, and his service mgr. for fixing this issue. I have had my truck in 2 times for the brake pedal, 3 times for the rattling back window, 2 times for the rear end that still whines, 3 drivers seat cushions, 2-3 radios, 2 0r 3 times for injectors, 2 times for the driveshaft thunk, 1 set of cam phazers, headliner replacement, pcm reflash. 2 times for power steering leak, WHAT"S NEXT??? Oh by the way it only has 12,500 miles...This last time it has cost me $29.00 worth of gas for test drives that didn't fix ****.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I attempted the fix and there seems to be quite a bit of resistence in pulling the MC from the booster. I don't know if the brake lines causing this or something else. It seperates about 1/8 if an inch, so I don't think it would be pressure from the MC. I don't want to damage anything, the brake lines have a braided section, so I would think they would move easily.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by ckforker
Not to hijack the thread, but I attempted the fix and there seems to be quite a bit of resistence in pulling the MC from the booster. I don't know if the brake lines causing this or something else. It seperates about 1/8 if an inch, so I don't think it would be pressure from the MC. I don't want to damage anything, the brake lines have a braided section, so I would think they would move easily.
I don't think you're highjacking the thread, I think you're helping get it back to the topic.

If you continue with the adjustment, can you post some photos of the process?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by ckforker
Just push the master cylinder sideways back and forth or just pull on it while rocking it. You will here air leaking, that is normal it is held on by vaccume. Once the vaccume is released, the master cylinder will move out of the way easily. Then you will need to have someone apply the brake pedal or wedge a piece of wood to hold the pedal to the floor. This allows the rod to be extended fully in order to make the adjustment. I then took a silver sharpie and marked the rods current location on the threads. I then took a pair of pliers and held the rod on the teeth and backed the adjustment rod out 1 turn. Release the brake pedal, reassemble and test drive...Then you will be like this

Old 04-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Just push the master cylinder sideways back and forth or just pull on it while rocking it. You will here air leaking, that is normal it is held on by vaccume. Once the vaccume is released, the master cylinder will move out of the way easily. Then you will need to have someone apply the brake pedal or wedge a piece of wood to hold the pedal to the floor. This allows the rod to be extended fully in order to make the adjustment. I then took a silver sharpie and marked the rods current location on the threads. I then took a pair of pliers and held the rod on the teeth and backed the adjustment rod out 1 turn. Release the brake pedal, reassemble and test drive...Then you will be like this

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><>

Ecstatic to hear yet another has finally cured their unresolved mushy brake pedal by following this thread! I’ll say it again, this thread is such a benefit to this sort of medium that it needs to be made a sticky. Instead it continually gets segregated towards the end so we can all see threads about “Raced a Titan…” or “Everyone reply with their Orange F150…”.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Well i decided to go back to the dealer today with my newly adjusted brake booster rod. I had the service writer take my truck out for a spin, and he was surprized on how much different my brake pedal was. I then had them drive my truck on the HEKA machine again, and check how the brakes are now. SURPRIZE SURPRIZE, it improved my braking power! The ideal braking power on the front axle is 70%, and for the rear is 30%. My braking power BEFORE the adjustment was 80% on the front axle, and 20% on the rear axle. Now after doing the adjustment it is 74% on the front axle, and 26% at the rear. Then i had the service mgr drive it also. He agreed that my brake pedal is much better. I then told him how i adjusted the rod, step by step. He had copies made of both reports on the HEKA machine and is going to pass it along to Ford.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Well i decided to go back to the dealer today with my newly adjusted brake booster rod. I had the service writer take my truck out for a spin, and he was surprized on how much different my brake pedal was. I then had them drive my truck on the HEKA machine again, and check how the brakes are now. SURPRIZE SURPRIZE, it improved my braking power! The ideal braking power on the front axle is 70%, and for the rear is 30%. My braking power BEFORE the adjustment was 80% on the front axle, and 20% on the rear axle. Now after doing the adjustment it is 74% on the front axle, and 26% at the rear. Then i had the service mgr drive it also. He agreed that my brake pedal is much better. I then told him how i adjusted the rod, step by step. He had copies made of both reports on the HEKA machine and is going to pass it along to Ford.

That's really a shame. You should not have gone to the trouble to correct the problem yourself. There should be some sort of compensation of sorts to keep you a happy Ford customer. I would be extremely p*ssed and would start barking up the Ford food chain until I got some satisfaction!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Whats a HEKA machine? Do all dealers have one?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by ozcar2
Whats a HEKA machine? Do all dealers have one?
A HEKA machine is a machine that is mounted in the floor of the service write up area. Not all dealerships have them, probably the bigger dealerships might. this device you drive across and stop on it. It measures different things like stopping pressures on all axles, alignment, and suspension movement.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Just an update on how my brakes are. I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip to the east coast area. My brakes were awesome, especially pulling a 6620 lb. travel trailer back home. I also had a Prodigy brake controller and weight distribution and sway control hooked up for controlling the trailer. I have NEVER been as Happy about my Brakes until i made the adjustment to the booster rod. I had ZERO issues stopping, and i felt Totally SAFE. This is the way they should of been from the beginning. I stopped after an hour or so and checked each rim to see if they were heating up and they all were fine. Absolutely no brake drag whatsoever. My fuel mileage wasn't too bad for running 70-80 mph uphills/ mountains. I got 15 mpg on the way there, and got 7.3 mpg on the way back pulling a 6620 lb. travel trailer at 70 mph plus.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Just an update on how my brakes are. I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip to the east coast area. My brakes were awesome, especially pulling a 6620 lb. travel trailer back home. I also had a Prodigy brake controller and weight distribution and sway control hooked up for controlling the trailer. I have NEVER been as Happy about my Brakes until i made the adjustment to the booster rod. I had ZERO issues stopping, and i felt Totally SAFE. This is the way they should of been from the beginning. I stopped after an hour or so and checked each rim to see if they were heating up and they all were fine. Absolutely no brake drag whatsoever. My fuel mileage wasn't too bad for running 70-80 mph uphills/ mountains. I got 15 mpg on the way there, and got 7.3 mpg on the way back pulling a 6620 lb. travel trailer at 70 mph plus.

Awesome NEWS!!! BTW....was that a typo for the mpg figure on the way back...7.3mpg??? That's like an M2 IFV

Quick Reply: *** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***