2004 - 2008 F-150

F.Y.I Something I learned about our transmissions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiah
Please explain how downshifting is killing the transmission?
Some of the things that are being said is that if you are cruising around in 4th, and you try to downshift by using the console stick, you'll go from 4th to 2nd. Its not intuitive for people to press the button to go to 3rd, then go to 2nd if needed. If you are going 48, floor it, it will probably drop out of OD and go straight to 2nd, I dont really see a problem with that myself.

Since the computer took over, I shift the tranny with my right foot. I've never seen a reason to shift it. I used to shift my c4 all the time. Even hit reverse instead of neutral. That was interesting.

Either the C4 or the C6 had a second gear start. If you put one in second from a stop, you had second. If you put the other in second from a stop, it would shift up from first to second, then it would stop there.

If you want to have some fun with the tranny, go WOT from a dead stop. Lift completely just before it shifts and then stab it again. Nice, firm and high rpm 1-2 shift.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiah
Please explain how downshifting is killing the transmission?
Hi J;

Here ya go...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...89&postcount=5

Hope this helps.

How's that Edge workin' for ya?

Cheers
Bubba

Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi J;

Here ya go...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...89&postcount=5

Hope this helps.

How's that Edge workin' for ya?

Cheers
Bubba
Great link MGD. While I have sold my Troyer tunes, I am absolutely loving the Edge. I never thought the pod looked so great in pictures but it's fantastic when it's in your truck. Another lifted F-150 in town wouldn't race me because the pod was sitting right there. I thought my first race w/edge was going to be with an identical truck...guy just would not get on it. The Xcal2 was good, but I can downshift @ 45mph rather than 40mph now. And that is into 1st gear (37's & 3.73's remember). It does seem to pull somewhat harder, it's definitely not subpar to my troyer tunes, if anything they're neck and neck. It's cheaper, I have no idea why, but it is and it comes with a very sleek looking pod. I'm very thrilled, the Edge, bedlights and HID's are now my favorite mods. The spotlight is up there. Another thing I forgot to mention about the Edge, it watches my engine temperature and alerts me if it goes over the specified degree. No more overheating when the fuses explode on my Troyer e-fan kit, it warns me before and is probably going to save my engine! I was in an intersection and my truck started shuddering, smoke was EVERYWHERE, coolant as well. I really dislike my efans, but I do like the room they made.

Lastly, around town the edge behaves far better than the Troyer tunes. The XCal2 would constantly have me shifting @ 3000+ RPM's. When A N T H O N Y bought it from me, I had to show him. He too was scratching his head. I just really did not like the way my pedal felt with the XCal2, I would say that is the major difference in switching from the XCal2 to the Edge.

Last edited by Josiah; 03-21-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the update J.

I am glad everything worked out for you. Being happy is the most important thing. You've had your share of problems for sure.

On the fans - have you considered another brand of controller? DCControl or SPAL? You overheating with 2 16" fans is very unusual - try Redline Water Wetter, possibly have your cooling system checked, and also possibly use a shroud for the fans ( if you haven't already considered those things) ...

Take care.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
I think the confusion is the idiot proofing done on a lot of computer controlled transmissions of the past. Most of them would not allow 2nd to be 2nd until the computer decided it was ok.
Thankfully 2 means 2, 1 means 1 on these trucks. What I can't stand is the way it readjusts the throttle response.

As for shifting on the fly, engine braking is a good thing. Of course I supposed there are idiots who will try to do it at 60mph.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
The computer control/tranny connection on these trucks is definitley different.

I can stab the throttle on mine from a dead stop in D and not so much as chirp a tire. I can pull it down into 1 and then stab the throttle at a dead stop and it will slide me into a curb or ditch if I'm not careful.

You would think that taking off at WOT is the same either way. There is definitely something going on with the shift or traction control that says otherwise though.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
The computer control/tranny connection on these trucks is definitley different.

I can stab the throttle on mine from a dead stop in D and not so much as chirp a tire. I can pull it down into 1 and then stab the throttle at a dead stop and it will slide me into a curb or ditch if I'm not careful.

You would think that taking off at WOT is the same either way. There is definitely something going on with the shift or traction control that says otherwise though.
that's interesting

i haven't tried to spin them in 1st gear, but i think my experience would be the opposite of yours

i can break them loose at will in drive--but judging from my experience with 1st gear, the electronic throttle control requires me to put a lot more travel into the pedal for an equivalent amount of throttle

Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Thanks for the update J.

I am glad everything worked out for you. Being happy is the most important thing. You've had your share of problems for sure.

On the fans - have you considered another brand of controller? DCControl or SPAL? You overheating with 2 16" fans is very unusual - try Redline Water Wetter, possibly have your cooling system checked, and also possibly use a shroud for the fans ( if you haven't already considered those things) ...

Take care.

Cheers
Bubba
Redline Water Wetter, is that a type of antifreeze? I will look into that if so. I have looked at Mad's controllers, and probably should go that route. At the moment one fan went out on one of my escapades, I believe out @ Pismo. I'll have to get some pics of what happens when the fuses blow on these e-fans, damn near cause a fire. Even then, you do not know and continue to drive. I have looked at other controllers but I know they are pricey so I want to stick with just rewiring them to come on with the key. I'll need to get that fan replaced, both of my controllers are broken anyway (the temperature pots, which is common on troyer controllers), but one manages to work anyway (always on).

Be sure to check out my HID writeup, I'll throw a pic of the fuse in there.

Quick Reply: F.Y.I Something I learned about our transmissions.