2004 - 2008 F-150

Project: Fire/ Rescue F-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project: Fire/ Rescue F-150

Last edited by Copeland!; 07-02-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: ...
Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Sounds awesome! I've got the first 2 items on your list in my truck

Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Subscribing to see how the project progresses.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Now these are mods that the wifey can't yell at you about wasting money and installing them in the truck

Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Sound awesome, ive got the whelen slimlighter right now on my truck and love it, they definatly make some great lights. Good luck with the install, TAKE LOTS OF PICS!!!

ps. where are you a firefighter at?? paid, Vollie,??

Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 AM
I understand what you are doing with your truck, but you better make sure that Ford doesn't void your warranty. Something about the vehicle not being suitable for use as an ambulance? I know it's not really an ambulance, but you know how large corporations with lots of lawyers can be. Otherwise, pretty freaking sweet! I want to see the pics when you're done.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't seen him on the boards in a while, but DrPaul84 had strobes and stuff on his Screw, if I remember right, he's a firefighter.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Im looking forward to seeing where you mount the speaker, Mine is in the front. Mounted to a beam that was protecting my radiator. Couldent really find many places to put it.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish you all the best in your installation(s). I do hope you have some serious wiring experience though because if you don't, the first fire you respond to might be your own. If you've done any wiring on your truck at all, you've probably already discovered that the fuse box location is a royal pain in the butt. You'll also learn that the electrical system has somewhat limited upside capacity. So, good luck and be careful out there!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM
That will be cool. I have a buddy who did this with his Chevy Crew a while back.

Robb

Old 03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I wish you all the best in your installation(s). I do hope you have some serious wiring experience though because if you don't, the first fire you respond to might be your own. If you've done any wiring on your truck at all, you've probably already discovered that the fuse box location is a royal pain in the butt. You'll also learn that the electrical system has somewhat limited upside capacity. So, good luck and be careful out there!
First of all, let me thank everyone for the well wishes, support, and thread subscriptions. Hearing such feedback is a very positive thing and only makes my future work on this truck more enjoyable.

I am currently out of town until Monday. When I return I will begin my center console mod and do a write up on the Whelen Compact Speaker install. I am debating a new location for the speaker(s) since I will be purchasing a Ranch Hand Grille guard.

Could use some opinion on this debate on the speaker(s) location. Pro's of mounting the speaker(s) on the grille guard would be the better clarity and improved range of sound detection. The only downside that I can foresee with mounting them on the grille guard would be theft. Do you think theft should be taken into consideration when the decision is being made on it's mounting location?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Last edited by Copeland!; 07-02-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: ...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck. Which high school did you go to. A buddy of mine is trying to get in the academy in SA. I mounted my siren behind the front bumper right underneath the headlight. I found that it was the best place. It keeps it out of plain sight nice clean look, not exposed to water, not visible for theft.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're asking for advice, the first thing I'd suggest is taking a giant step backwards. The placement and mounting of stuff is important, but in my experience, the more important thing is having an overall plan with an install this complicated. What I would start with is a list of equipment that inculdes power consumption and special requirements such as "switched with the ignition or always hot." Although you're using all LED lighting (and they have a very low current draw), you want to know how much juice you're going to need so you can size wiring, relays, fuses, etc. properly. Once you have that, you can start looking for ways to route the wiring and places to mount stuff. Believe me, when I started poking around my '05 looking for locations, I had to change a number of my plans. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
If you're asking for advice, the first thing I'd suggest is taking a giant step backwards. The placement and mounting of stuff is important, but in my experience, the more important thing is having an overall plan with an install this complicated. What I would start with is a list of equipment that inculdes power consumption and special requirements such as "switched with the ignition or always hot." Although you're using all LED lighting (and they have a very low current draw), you want to know how much juice you're going to need so you can size wiring, relays, fuses, etc. properly. Once you have that, you can start looking for ways to route the wiring and places to mount stuff. Believe me, when I started poking around my '05 looking for locations, I had to change a number of my plans. Good luck!

Wow - that's great advice right there.

Good choice on the laptop - the CF series is damn near bulletproof.

I've got two great neighbours - adjacent and right across the street - both firefighters. And a detective down the block. Boy, do I feel safe - well worth all of my beer they drink

Good luck

Cheers
Bubba

Quick Reply: Project: Fire/ Rescue F-150