2004 - 2008 F-150

motorized rear slider

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:12 AM
|
motorized rear slider

for the guys that have the electronic slider for the rear window, do you like it, and is it worth it?

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:26 AM
I don't know about the rest of the guys, but mine squeaks. Constantly while open, occasionally when closed. I use it very little, so I could live without it if I had to.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Dribone
for the guys that have the electronic slider for the rear window, do you like it, and is it worth it?
I just bought my F-150 2 weeks ago and the electronic rear slider was one of the few "must have" options for me. I love it, my wife loves it, my dogs love it, and I use it all the time. It's very convenient. Just about my favorite feature on the truck next to the chrome package. I definitely think it's worth the price paid.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:50 AM
I've got the electric rear slider. Mine squeaks as well when opening and closing. It has actually stopped working at times. Had the local dealership look at it, and they just greased the hell out of it. Still squeaks! It HAS come in handy when transporting long lumber and moulding though!

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by TXScrewZHD
I don't know about the rest of the guys, but mine squeaks. Constantly while open, occasionally when closed. I use it very little, so I could live without it if I had to.
That is a concern of mine, what will it be like a few years from now.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:55 AM
Moderator &
It's a must have in my opinion...

I, personally, installed one on my 2001 and knew that my 05' would have it as well. I use it absolutely all the time and have never had any issues with it.

It is great to have on those slightly cool days when you can pop the moon roof and open the rear glass... the flow of air is great through the compartment -- not too much, not too little.

Like I said, in my book, it's a must have!

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:56 AM
I have a supercab, and I can say without the power slider, it would never be open. Unlike my old reg cabs, I can't just reach over my shoulder and open it and still be able to keep my eye on the road. Would not have a supercab or screw without it.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:57 AM
definitely a must have! I love it- even after the 'squeak' problem, which there is a TSB for [05-24-03] rear slider squeaks and rattles....
the new rear window which they put in is much stronger than the original one

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:08 AM
|
based on opinions, I could assume that its worth $300? (not installed)

I'm not too worried about the reach, based on the short cab, this is the only truck i've had that doesn't have a rear slider, and I haven't noticed that I want to open it. the two side windows are plenty, but if it's a good deal, i would hate to lose it.

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:20 AM
I have one. There was a TSB on the squeek. They fixed mine. I also went through a motor, they fixed that too. Wouldn't be the same truck without it though...really nice to have.

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

My 07 has one, didn't want it but it was on the truck already. I would rather have the solid window with the defroster, I live in Cleveland so a defroster is more practical than a window you'll never open.

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I, personally, installed one on my 2001
How hard was this to install and where did you get the motor? I have the manual sliding one but it is a pain in the rear to open up the back door just to slide the window open. I would love to install a motor for it

Old 04-03-2007 | 03:07 PM
TNC
I have it. Window doesn't squeak, but the cables rattle around a little, especially when it's cold out. Love it otherwise. Not sure I woulda ordered one for 300 but it was already on mine. In a Screw, you just can't reach over and open it. With the moonroof, it's pretty much mandatory to open something when the roof is open, so the slider in the back is perfect.

Old 04-03-2007 | 03:38 PM
Moderator &
Originally Posted by NHSP-06
How hard was this to install and where did you get the motor? I have the manual sliding one but it is a pain in the rear to open up the back door just to slide the window open. I would love to install a motor for it
I couldn't tell you what it'd be like on the new body style but, on the 01' it wasn't hellish -- not simple but not hellish either.

There are some 'installed' pics in my gallery (click on the little camera icon up and to the right under my screen name). It is a two man job as the window was bulky and difficult to remove.

Not sure if they still have them but, www.truckininstyle.com is a great source for this item. You'll see a pic of my truck there but, I'm in no way associated with the site (ie: I make nothing by mentioning them)

He sells CR Laurence sliders so, you may also check there... CR is who made the 2001 to 2003 slider for Ford (and some earlier I believe as well)... they don't make the 04+... not sure who does but, it's not them.

RP

Old 04-03-2007 | 03:41 PM
RP thanks for the info I'll have to look into it.

Quick Reply: motorized rear slider