2004 - 2008 F-150

'Retained Power' problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Retained Power' problem

Did a search but nothing came up...

My problem is...I pulled into the driveway after work with the stereo on as usual. I removed the key from the ignition and opened the door...the stereo didn't shut down.. I got out and went to go in the house and I could still hear the stereo pumping away. I figured if I used the remote locks it might shut down...but, it didn't. Jumped back into the truck and waited for the 'retained power' to shut down(about 10minutes) and it did.

Has anyone had this happen??? Was worried if it didn't shut off, I'd end up with a dead battery.

btw...it's an '04 Lariat Screw

Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I would start with the door switch. Possibly it is not telling the vehicle the door is open. Do the dome lights come on when the door is opened? Does the radio turn off when the passenger door is opened?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5
I would start with the door switch. Possibly it is not telling the vehicle the door is open. Do the dome lights come on when the door is opened? Does the radio turn off when the passenger door is opened?
Yep...the interior lights came on and went off when the door was shut again. I didn't try the passenger door though. Will have to try.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Guess no one has had this problem before???

Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Done any electrical mods lately? When I was adding my aftermarket door locks, I ended up making the ground for the stereo to not be in good contact, and the stereo would come on by itself with the truck off. Not sure if this is at all related to your issue (probably not), but if you've done any mods lately, maybe check your grounds? Just my 2 pesos, and it's probably not even worth that much

The ground I had been dealing with was the one in the driver kick panel by the emergency brake lever.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LariatNut
Did a search but nothing came up...

My problem is...I pulled into the driveway after work with the stereo on as usual. I removed the key from the ignition and opened the door...the stereo didn't shut down.. I got out and went to go in the house and I could still hear the stereo pumping away. I figured if I used the remote locks it might shut down...but, it didn't. Jumped back into the truck and waited for the 'retained power' to shut down(about 10minutes) and it did.

Has anyone had this happen??? Was worried if it didn't shut off, I'd end up with a dead battery.

btw...it's an '04 Lariat Screw

Let me guess here...you have electric fans right????

Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, people. I have not done any mods(electrical) to my truck. I was playing with the info center menu buttons and was scrolling through. I got two error messages. One for the autolock and one for autolamps which said...'Data Error'. So it looks like i'm off the the dealership next week and my truck is outta warranty by less than 2 weeks.

Well...i'll bring some K-Y just incase.

Last edited by LariatNut; 04-07-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Whoops, double post..

Last edited by Ricktye; 09-13-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I have sort of the same problem........ Did you get it fixed, what was it?

Rick

Originally Posted by LariatNut
Thanks for the replies, people. I have not done any mods(electrical) to my truck. I was playing with the info center menu buttons and was scrolling through. I got two error messages. One for the autolock and one for autolamps which said...'Data Error'. So it looks like i'm off the the dealership next week and my truck is outta warranty by less than 2 weeks.

Well...i'll bring some K-Y just incase.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:09 PM
on mine, you can take the key out sometimes and the ignition hasnt been totally turned off. i can stick the key back in and turn back a little more and it clicks and locks the wheel like it should. or with the key out i can use my finger and turn it off to the lock position like it should. it just hangs up every now and then.

maybe that will help...

rob

Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM
This isn't as bad as the couple times i pulled out my key and the truck was still running. I was baffled, i had to pull the PCM fuse to shut down the truck.

Quick Reply: 'Retained Power' problem