2004 - 2008 F-150

Alignment Issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:35 PM
|
Angry Alignment Issues!!!

I installed my 2.5 as leveling kit and took to the shop and they aligned it. Well the truck isnt aligned still pulls to the right. So i took it back and they showed me that everything was in spec and that it was the leveling kit. They told me to call Autospring and tell them that their product was causing the geometry of my truck to be thrown out of wack and that they can not get it to stop drifting to the left!! The shop is claiming that it is the leveling kit and not their alignment job!! Is this a load of bs or what?? Has anyone else had this problem?? Please help!!!!

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:36 PM
|
Started a thread in Aftermarket Suspension but i figured it would get looked at more in this section!!

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Another reason I'm leaning away from getting a spacer...

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:45 PM
Suspended
Dude, tell them that you wan't your money back and go some where else. All leveling kits due the same to the suspension geometry, they are blowing smoke up your behind. I've personally had a Daystar and Autospring spacer on my previous truck with no alignment issues. I even have adjustable Bilsteins in my truck right now that are cranked 2" and had no problem with getting it alligned, hell a Ford dealer even did it and got it spot on. Anyways, tell them to go take a hike and get your money back!

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:48 PM
I had the AS before and they just had to correct the "toe in" or something like that and it was back to specs. I'd take it somewhere else and see if they can get it right.

Old 05-22-2007 | 11:09 PM
Hey 06flamefx4,

Did they give you a printout of the alignment results, just because it is within specs, doesn't mean that it is correct. Some places just set the toe and let it go. There is more to a proper alignment.

If you have the printout, could you post it?

cya

Old 05-23-2007 | 07:27 AM
|
I dont have a scanner but i do have a print out and i can tell you all the settings. Just let me know which ones you want!!!!

Old 05-23-2007 | 07:31 AM
Have you tried rotating the tires. It does not have to be the AS or alignment. It could be a bad tire.

Old 05-23-2007 | 09:11 AM
I do agree that the leveling kits throw the front suspension out of whack. However, they do it evenly on both sides so it should not prevent the truck from being properly aligned and NOT pull to either side. It should track straight down the road.

Originally Posted by 06flamefx4
Well the truck isnt aligned still pulls to the right.
Originally Posted by 06flamefx4
...can not get it to stop drifting to the left!!
Is it pulling to the right or left?

The alignment printout should show actual readings and also the specs with a tolerance. Look at the alignment printout and make sure the actual readings for camber, caster, toe, total toe, and SAI are within the specification tolerances.

TOE: The toe should read pretty close to zero for both tires.

TOTAL TOE: Just the combined toe of both sides. Example: If the L tire was toed out to the limit of the spec and the R was toed out to the limit of the limit of the spec, it would fail total toe.

CASTER: I don't know what the caster spec is for our trucks, but it should be pretty close from one side to the other. I personally would aim for no more than 0.5º difference between sides. The vehicle will pull to whichever side has the most negative/least positive caster.

CAMBER: Again, I don't know the spec but it should be pretty close to zero. Also, both sides should be either positive or negative; if one side is positive, the other should be positive as well. Generally camber won't cause too many pulling/drifting issues unless it's excessive in which case the vehicle will pull to the side with more positive camber.

On a side note... that place is full of BS. No reason for a "properly" aligned truck to pull at all unless there's some frame damage.

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:49 AM
I installed my leveling kit, had it aligned and everything was all good...

Well about a week later i went offroading, and obviously hit a rut or somthing, as my truck was pulling to the right after that..

So i went back to the alignment shop, as they have a 30day warrenty on their alignment. They threw my truck up on the rack and tried to align it again.

They hold me they adjusted it as much as they could.... however it still pulls right, and i've just been living with it for the past 4k miles.

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:54 AM
No issues with my alginment and AS 2.5", after 25K miles and lots of off roading. Still wanders to the right on a crowned road, goes straight as an arrow on a reasonably flat road...

Of course off road for me is beach, and deer lease, following washed out trails back to camp. Not overly harsh stuff.

And your alignment shop is blowing smoke up your skirt if they tell you the alignment is okay. If it was, it wouldn't pull, and the steering wheel would be STRAIGHT. They mucked something up.

Old 05-23-2007 | 05:49 PM
|
It is pulling to the right, and i checked the spec sheet and everything is in spec range!! Should i take it to a offroad shop and see if they cant get it right??

Old 05-23-2007 | 06:01 PM
When my truck was knocked out of spec off roading I had the local alignment shop re-align since I had a tire that was out of balance as well. They could not get the truck to stop pulling to the right. I took it to 4 Wheel Parts and they had it corrected in an hour. Been 3k since and still runs dead straight.
I would try a shop that specializes in lifts, etc.

Old 05-23-2007 | 06:37 PM
I'm beginning to think that it may be something to do with your new tires. Is the air pressure the same in all 4? I'm not sure if it matters, but are your tire treads directional? Just thoughts....:o

Old 05-23-2007 | 08:55 PM
|
Yes all the tires have 38 psi in them. Does anyone have their spec sheet to compare with mine. I have mine in front of me and it just doesnt make since!!! Everything is different from left to right. Different degrees on both sides!

Quick Reply: Alignment Issues!!!