2004 - 2008 F-150

Amsoil going in tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but still....for the amount of time it takes to get an oil sample, why not just take another 5minutes and do a complete oil change? sorry i just dont get it.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
but still....for the amount of time it takes to get an oil sample, why not just take another 5minutes and do a complete oil change? sorry i just dont get it.

Basically, you only need to do UOA's for the first time that you use that particular oil. That gives you evidence of whether or not the oil is up to par. For example, if I do 2 UOA's (12,000 miles & 16,000 miles), and both come back great, then next time I use that oil I will NOT do UOA's if I'm using it within the same parameters.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Basically, you only need to do UOA's for the first time that you use that particular oil. That gives you evidence of whether or not the oil is up to par. For example, if I do 2 UOA's (12,000 miles & 16,000 miles), and both come back great, then next time I use that oil I will NOT do UOA's if I'm using it within the same parameters.
Keep us updated on your UOA results

Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I've been using Mobil 1 since first chg and was thinking of switching to RP or Amsoil. I see by the RP 5/20 online $$$ I can get cheaper than Mobil 1. (at least here in the great white north) Any pref on which one to choose, or are they both good and it' don't really matter?

Hey bamorris2 whcih Bilsteins did u put on the front? The HD's or the 5100? I called the Bilstein # and he said for heavier loads the HD's are better than the 5100's?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I've been using Mobil 1 since first chg and was thinking of switching to RP or Amsoil. I see by the RP 5/20 online $$$ I can get cheaper than Mobil 1. (at least here in the great white north) Any pref on which one to choose, or are they both good and it' don't really matter?

Hey bamorris2 whcih Bilsteins did u put on the front? The HD's or the 5100? I called the Bilstein # and he said for heavier loads the HD's are better than the 5100's?

I'm sure that both RP & Amsoil are great oils. But if you're going for extended change intervals (like I am), then I'd go with Amsoil simply because their oil (the ASM 0w20) is guarenteed for 25,000 miles/1 year. Should your engine fail or get damaged as a result, they will replace your motor for free. It doesn't happen very often at all, but I did hear about 1 instance where a motor took a dump when extending OCI using Amsoil, and they paid for new motor WITHOUT the threat of anything legal.

Regarding my shocks, I have the Bilstein HD's up front. The 5100's are more about stance/appearance. But if you're going to be handling heavy loads, you definately want their HD's (if you want Bilstein).

Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 PM
RP Or Amsoil should be good for your engine. There are a lot of ppl who swear by RP. Mobil 1 (Extended performance only) is great too for our trucks. Motocraft synth Blend is decent too if you don't want to spend a lot of money. There is a semi that went on one Amsoil oil change. The only thing they did was change the oil filters at regular intervals and top the fluid lost by changing the filter. I think it was over 300k before they decided to take a look at the engine wear. The engine could have gone even further according to the people in charge of the experiment. They used some kind of heavy duty oil for diesel engines. The thing was supported by Amsoil company, I don't know how much truth is in the story.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
I'm sure that both RP & Amsoil are great oils. But if you're going for extended change intervals (like I am), then I'd go with Amsoil simply because their oil (the ASM 0w20) is guarenteed for 25,000 miles/1 year. Should your engine fail or get damaged as a result, they will replace your motor for free. It doesn't happen very often at all, but I did hear about 1 instance where a motor took a dump when extending OCI using Amsoil, and they paid for new motor WITHOUT the threat of anything legal.

Regarding my shocks, I have the Bilstein HD's up front. The 5100's are more about stance/appearance. But if you're going to be handling heavy loads, you definately want their HD's (if you want Bilstein).
There is some people recommending that you do not go over 12-15k for the first oil change with Amsoil. They say that your engine may have contaminant from the old oil put in the truck, that may shorten the life of the Amsoil. The second oil change would go the 25k/1year with no problem.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ilovemyford
There is some people recommending that you do not go over 12-15k for the first oil change with Amsoil. They say that your engine may have contaminant from the old oil put in the truck, that may shorten the life of the Amsoil. The second oil change would go the 25k/1year with no problem.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing (I think over at BITOG)... I guess I'll decide that at a ~12,000 mile UOA.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Mobil 1 for mine every 3000. Filter change every 6000. Keeps it runing good.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=bamorris2]I'm sure that both RP & Amsoil are great oils. But if you're going for extended change intervals (like I am), then I'd go with Amsoil simply because their oil (the ASM 0w20) is guarenteed for 25,000 miles/1 year. Should your engine fail or get damaged as a result, they will replace your motor for free. It doesn't happen very often at all, but I did hear about 1 instance where a motor took a dump when extending OCI using Amsoil, and they paid for new motor WITHOUT the threat of anything legal.

Regarding my shocks, I have the Bilstein HD's up front. The 5100's are more about stance/appearance. But if you're going to be handling heavy loads, you definately want their HD's (if you want Bilstein).[/QUOTE

I'm curious, why didn;t you go with the 9000xl's in front too? Price? I imagine the Bilstein HDs were about 1/2 the $$$.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Anyone know where I can buy the amsoil oil filter online for cheap as possible?

Old 06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Amsoil online store. Add the perferred customer (6 mo) into your basket, then add the oil and filter.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Go over to www.bobistheoilguy.com and contact a member by the name of "Pablo". He's an Amsoil dealer, and I'm sure he can hook you up with a much better deal that Amsoil's online store.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:07 AM
amsoil is kinda like amway (did not say they were the same in anyway...just the way they do business..yes the pyramid company.....amsoil is a pyramid company also)...the price is the price is the price...yes a very close friend could sell you some at a discount, but it should be msrp or risk lossing your dealer rights to sell it

Old 06-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by troberts6874
the price is the price is the price...yes a very close friend could sell you some at a discount, but it should be msrp or risk lossing your dealer rights to sell it
I do agree that is one of the main problem of their business model. If you can't get the oil at a fair price (wholesale price), keep away.

Quick Reply: Amsoil going in tonight!