2004 - 2008 F-150

Question about shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about shock replacement

Can I reuse the original mounting bolts for the front and rear shocks or do I need to replace as the manual states? If I have to replace, what hardware do I need to get (nuts, bolts, washers, etc)? I've got the Ranchos ready to go on the rears (going to let professionals do the front struts).

Old 06-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Not sure about the rear shocks.

For the front, I don't see why you would have to replace the lower bolt. At the top of the front shock it's probably not a bad idea to replace the 3 nylock nuts.

Any nylock nuts are probably what the manual is referring to; they're supposed to be replaced after each use.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
The Haynes Manual has a warning which states "The manufacturer states to discard removed suspension component fasteners (nuts and bolts) and replace them with new ones."
I would think that as long as the nuts and bolts for the upper and lower shock mounts were in good shape and not damaged, I would be able to reuse them. I have read they could be difficult to remove, though.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Technically, every time a bolt is tightened/torqued, it stretches a little and doesn't return to it's original length.

Cylinder head bolts I wouldn't ever reuse, but the suspension bolts would most likely be ok. I don't want to tell you not to reuse them because if a fastener in your suspension fails and you get into an accident because of it, I don't want to be the one who told you to do it.

Saying that... I would just reuse the fasteners on my own vehicle.

Quick Reply: Question about shock replacement