2004 - 2008 F-150

Difference between having Limited slip and not??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007 | 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I love how people say that Ford LSDs are weak and unreliable. Funny, I've never had a problem with any of mine or know anyone to have a problem with theirs.

Didn't Josiah have a problem with his?

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:01 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by etrevino103186
Didn't Josiah have a problem with his?
I'm not sure but I could see why. I doubt he changed the fluid every time the thing was submerged underwater!

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:17 PM
I'm not sure but I could see why. I doubt he changed the fluid every time the thing was submerged underwater!

fair enough

edit: actually I specifically I remember a post prior to his lift. I don't know if he did any submarining then.

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:27 PM
Suspended
Axle seals usually are good enough on never trucks to prevent water intrusion. Thats why the breathers are higher on 4x4 models. Assuming the seals are in good shape a minute or 2 in deep water will not get water in the diffs. I cross deep water here in houston about every time it rains and have had no issues

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:30 PM
Personally I think the stock Ford LSDs are a little on the lousy side when you compare them to other brands. Somehting like the GM G80 locker that came in rigs like the Silverados, Tahoes, etc.....the Ford LSD is a POS compared to that IMO anyway.

By the way....a Spool locks both rear tires together at all times. Unless you have a harcore trail or track only rig, dont even look at one.
I didnt see it mentioned so I though I would throw that out there, I saw it being discussed.

Old 09-05-2007 | 04:27 PM
I love how people say that Ford LSDs are weak and unreliable. Funny, I've never had a problem with any of mine or know anyone to have a problem with theirs.
That may be because at 19 years old, you've only owned two F-150's in your short period of driving. Don't take that the wrong way. Do a search on this forum alone for Limited Slip Problems and see how many links pop up.

Old 09-05-2007 | 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
By the way....a Spool locks both rear tires together at all times. Unless you have a harcore trail or track only rig, dont even look at one.
I didnt see it mentioned so I though I would throw that out there, I saw it being discussed.
That's it. They were spooled cars I was trying to push and turn into a parking spot. They don't like to turn, in the least.

Old 09-05-2007 | 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Personally I think the stock Ford LSDs are a little on the lousy side when you compare them to other brands. Somehting like the GM G80 locker that came in rigs like the Silverados, Tahoes, etc.....the Ford LSD is a POS compared to that IMO anyway.
the eaton g80 isn't anything that great, imo...i've owned vehicles with both, and i wouldn't envy one over the other...there are people who've had problems with the g80 not unlocking fwiw, which isn't good as one approaches higher speeds

Old 09-05-2007 | 05:28 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Sackett
That may be because at 19 years old, you've only owned two F-150's in your short period of driving. Don't take that the wrong way. Do a search on this forum alone for Limited Slip Problems and see how many links pop up.
I'm not taking it the wrong way. But. I've been around cars/trucks/tractors my whole life, I've been around the people who live for it, I've never seen a well cared for LSD go out other than the reported ones online.

Old 09-05-2007 | 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by ()smoke()
the eaton g80 isn't anything that great, imo...i've owned vehicles with both, and i wouldn't envy one over the other...there are people who've had problems with the g80 not unlocking fwiw, which isn't good as one approaches higher speeds
My friends wife had the G80 go bad in her Tahoe shortly after the warranty ran out.It had never been offroad or driven hard on the street.It may have been a rare instance but he has nothing good to say about the G80.

Old 09-05-2007 | 05:35 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ()smoke()
Yeah that g80 is serious stuff, it is a true locker and it is rather harsh. My cousin wheels his 3/4 single axle 4x4 GMC and that thing will catch and jerk the truck foward. Not very smooth, but def provides power to both wheels

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:31 PM
Very true, just about any factory limited slip is nothing to brag about, including the G80. I seem to find its better than the Fords factory LS at least...

Everything has its faults, some just more than the other

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:49 PM
I messed with mine today and I think it really depends on your speed when trying to get it to engage. If I just gun it I have no luck. If I ease it nice and slow it seems to engage better and work. Kinda sucks they can't just give us a nice locker.

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:52 PM
Suspended
Its really more complicated. You need something electric like the Eaton on the H2 to truly get the best of both worlds. In terms of auto lockers/LS you have to decide between harsh and locked or smooth and slips. Give and take

Old 09-06-2007 | 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by mbogosia
I messed with mine today and I think it really depends on your speed when trying to get it to engage. If I just gun it I have no luck. If I ease it nice and slow it seems to engage better and work. Kinda sucks they can't just give us a nice locker.
I don't understand what your trying to get to "engage"? A limited slip is always working. There's a clutch pack and a spring that keeps pressure on the clutches which ties both rear axles together at all times. The "limited slip" part comes when you turn. The spring maintains enough pressure to keep power to both wheels but not so much that one wheel can't turn faster when needed to make a turn. This is why it's so important to use the correct amount of friction modifier to allow the clutches to slip when needed. If you have one wheel on ice and the other on dry pavement you can overpower the clutch pack if you stomp the throttle, causing the wheel on the ice to spin while the other stays stationary. Some power will still transfer over just not enough to be noticeable.

Quick Reply: Difference between having Limited slip and not??