2004 - 2008 F-150

Difference between having Limited slip and not??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007 | 12:48 AM
The Ford LS is around a 70/30 split. You can rebuild it with more clutches and get a 50/50 split if you want. The newer GM LS has only caused problems in my experience. My brothers would lock up when ever it wanted in his 99 Chevy. And I have seen many others come through our shop.

Old 09-06-2007 | 02:43 AM
I had a 411 posi on my '66 Bronco, but it had been modified to a locker. It was sweet for doing donuts and wheeling, but yeah, it made a little noise going down the road.

Old 09-06-2007 | 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
I don't understand what your trying to get to "engage"? A limited slip is always working. There's a clutch pack and a spring that keeps pressure on the clutches which ties both rear axles together at all times. The "limited slip" part comes when you turn. The spring maintains enough pressure to keep power to both wheels but not so much that one wheel can't turn faster when needed to make a turn. This is why it's so important to use the correct amount of friction modifier to allow the clutches to slip when needed. If you have one wheel on ice and the other on dry pavement you can overpower the clutch pack if you stomp the throttle, causing the wheel on the ice to spin while the other stays stationary. Some power will still transfer over just not enough to be noticeable.
I guess I just worded it wrong. Seems like it should have been pretty easy to understand what I was saying. I was trying to make one wheel slip and then get the limited slip to work and have the other wheel with traction take over.

Old 09-06-2007 | 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by mbogosia
I guess I just worded it wrong. Seems like it should have been pretty easy to understand what I was saying. I was trying to make one wheel slip and then get the limited slip to work and have the other wheel with traction take over.
Hook up a trailer on a hill on grass. Make sure the grade is enough that would cause one wheel to spin. I just happen to do this regurly during the summer. It works perrty darn good

Old 09-06-2007 | 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by mbogosia
Obviously you didn't understand what I said. A limited slip doesn't work that way, a locking diff however, does. The clutch pack transfers power equally between both wheels at all times except in situations where a little bit of slip is needed, ie:making a turn. It is still possible to have just one wheel spin and the other doing nothing if you stomp the throttle, overpowering the clutch pack. This is a sure fire way to burn up an LS if it's done enough times. A locking diff, such as the one GMC uses is basically open until one wheel starts to spin. This engages the locker transferring power to the other wheel to get the vehicle moving.

Last edited by Tbird69; 09-07-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2007 | 01:00 AM
Truck of the Month
you can change the pattern of the driven/friction plates for more lockup ratio.

Quick Reply: Difference between having Limited slip and not??