2004 - 2008 F-150

Edge and Windows Vista

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge and Windows Vista

Been 8 months since I updated mine so tried to last week. It wouldn't update. I e mailed Edge Tech support and after a week this is what they said;

Our current Lightning Software will not work with Windows Vista. We are working on a new software that will be compatible with Vista that should hopefully be out soon, depending on how development and testing goes.

Thanks,

Cody Chatelain
Edge Products
1080 South Depot Drive
Ogden, UT 84404

You would think that after 9 months that Vista has been out they would have found a fix!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by mkinttrim
You would think that after 9 months that Vista has been out they would have found a fix!

You'd think... But it is still not supported by a lot of software vendors, just not Edge.

Just download VM and run a older windows version in VM, then do your update.

Last edited by ford2004F150; 09-12-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mkinttrim
Been 8 months since I updated mine so tried to last week. It wouldn't update. I e mailed Edge Tech support and after a week this is what they said;

Our current Lightning Software will not work with Windows Vista. We are working on a new software that will be compatible with Vista that should hopefully be out soon, depending on how development and testing goes.

Thanks,

Cody Chatelain
Edge Products
1080 South Depot Drive
Ogden, UT 84404

I agree with what you have said, very poor on their part. But, why do you want to upgrade? From what others have said, they felt later upgrades were lesser performance. I have not upgraded since i bought mine in July, 06. It runs great, so I would be concerned i was taking a step backwards, or would create a problem.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
How does the Edge physically connect to your computer? USB or Serial?

You could always run a virtual copy of Windows XP using Microsoft's free "Virtual PC 2007" software.

You could also make a shortcut of the Edge executable, right-click the shortcut and go to the "Compatibility" tab. You can tell the app from that tab to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2 or whatever.

If you're relatively savvy and/or interested, holler.

AJ

Old 09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nitzer280
How does the Edge physically connect to your computer? USB or Serial?

You could always run a virtual copy of Windows XP using Microsoft's free "Virtual PC 2007" software.

You could also make a shortcut of the Edge executable, right-click the shortcut and go to the "Compatibility" tab. You can tell the app from that tab to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2 or whatever.

If you're relatively savvy and/or interested, holler.

AJ
Ahhh, but Virtual PC 2007 will not support USB attached devices. I know, I've tried, and found the blurb in the documentation where it says just that.

I think vmware does though. Of course, this stuff is not for your every day computer users. Comes in really handy for us software architects though!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah you're right: Virtual PC doesn't do USB and VMWare does. VMWare does have a free virtual "player" that would work this application. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle, though.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
This is exactly why I will not buy an Edge product. Why on earth did they ever make this product so difficult to upgrade with glitchy software and compatibility issues that not everyone knows how to solve. If these things were more user friendly, then I would definitely consider it. Also, why do they always have a new version out, anyways. This tells me that they may not know exactly what they are doing.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KSpencer
This is exactly why I will not buy an Edge product. Why on earth did they ever make this product so difficult to upgrade with glitchy software and compatibility issues that not everyone knows how to solve. If these things were more user friendly, then I would definitely consider it. Also, why do they always have a new version out, anyways. This tells me that they may not know exactly what they are doing.

Not really sure WTF I'm defending this product, but here goes.

> Small team = long development cycle times.

> The Vista O/S issue is not Edge's fault - it's Microsoft's. Far from this being the only app with compatability issues.

> New versions are needed because FORD issues dozens of new strategy codes each model year. Blame FORD, not Edge. See small dev team, above.

> Glitchy software - got me there.

> To be brutally honest, SCT has some of these issues with LiveWire right now - but are diligently working through it.

All you can ask - of any company - with a complex product and such a vastly diverse user base ...

bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-12-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MGDfan

> The Vista O/S issue is not Edge's fault - it's Microsoft's. Far from this being the only app with compatability issues.

> New versions are needed because FORD issues dozens of new strategy codes each model year. Blame FORD, not Edge. See small dev team, above.

> To be brutally honest, SCT has some of these issues with LiveWire right now - but are diligently working through it.

All you can ask - of any company - with a complex product and such a vastly diverse user base ...

bubba
Good Grief! This is really exciting!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

bubba
I'm not at my desk right now. I'm currently hiding beneath it because the world as we know it is coming to an end.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Dribone
I'm not at my desk right now. I'm currently hiding beneath it because the world as we know it is coming to an end.

yep, it's scary! But, I figured it out. He just likes to argue and the only way he could be a PIA was to switch sides.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dribone

Thanks, buddy - I really needed to wash coffee off my monitor anyway !

Just wait until the next Volant discussion pops up

bubba

Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 PM
no problem, just tryin to keep it real.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Who needs GD when you have MGDfan.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Sorry to get my panties in a wad, but I am always seeing posts about how the Edge seems to have problems. Granted, these are usually solved by just reading the owner's manual before posting, but there are some that are legit.

Quick Reply: Edge and Windows Vista