2004 - 2008 F-150

Question about financing and taxes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about financing and taxes...

Let's say I wanna buy a new vehicle in another state and bring it back to Mississippi to register it. I know I will have to pay taxes here.

Here's the question...can I buy the car in that other state and not pay any tax on it there? Can I still get the good financing rate if I don't pay TTL in the state where I take delivery?

If I pay any taxes in the other state, I will still have to pay taxes here in MS. There is no reciprocity. Is there anyway for the dealer in the other state to pay taxes directly to MS so I can finance TTL with the good rate?

Kinda confusing?

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are making it too difficult. You pay the taxes on where you register the vehicle, not where you buy it (unless they are the same state). There shouldn't be too much difference in your finance rate between states. Your credit history and loan term determine your APR more than anything else. The main difference you may see is rebates, which can vary depending on region.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by SVT Pilot
You are making it too difficult. You pay the taxes on where you register the vehicle, not where you buy it (unless they are the same state). There shouldn't be too much difference in your finance rate between states. Your credit history and loan term determine your APR more than anything else. The main difference you may see is rebates, which can vary depending on region.
Exactly...you pay tax based on your home state/county rate. At least here in GA thats the way it works.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DarinFred
Let's say I wanna buy a new vehicle in another state and bring it back to Mississippi to register it. I know I will have to pay taxes here.

Here's the question...can I buy the car in that other state and not pay any tax on it there? Can I still get the good financing rate if I don't pay TTL in the state where I take delivery?

If I pay any taxes in the other state, I will still have to pay taxes here in MS. There is no reciprocity. Is there anyway for the dealer in the other state to pay taxes directly to MS so I can finance TTL with the good rate?

Kinda confusing?

Thanks!
where are you shopping at? i use to live there and didnt really like any dealer in the area. premier, starkville either one. now i have done what you are wanting to do. my wife and i bought an 06 explorer at moyer ford in foley AL, but we live in MS. what they did was check to see which region had the best rebates since AL and MS are in different regions. we were a lil ned in equity so we bought the gap insurance and it was cheaper in AL anyway. now when we returned home to MS, we paid all taxes when we bought the tag. i hope this helps.....but if you really want a good place to buy from, take a vacation to gulf shores, al and go to moyer ford and see Newman. he will hook you up. that is where i will always buy from for now on. hope this helps.....

Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks!

That's exactly what I was looking for...

Do you remember what you paid for all TTL? I know sales tax is 5%. Thanks!

I'll let you know where and what I got once the deal goes through.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 AM
I bought mine in Idaho and live in Washington. The only thing you have to watch out for is dealer incentives and rebates. My truck (XLT) had $10,000 in incentives and rebates combined. So I paid 23k on a 33k sticker price. In WA, they have a BS tax law, where instead of paying taxes on the 23k I paid for the truck, I had to pay taxes on $28k. They said this was due to 5k being a factory rebate (not taxed) and 5k being a dealer incentive (taxed).

If I had known this ahead of time, I would have tried to get them to write up the contract differently. I don't know if its the same in MS, but I wasn't too happy when I found out I had to come up with an extra $400.

Oh yeah, usually the dealer mails the title to the licensing dept. in your state. Once they receive the title, they let you know and you have to go to the licensing agent and pay up, to get your plates.

What's next? They gonna charge you tax on $33 dollar jeans you bought at a half-price sale from your favorite store? Seems kinda like taxation w/o representation to me.

Good luck

Last edited by alfack; 09-14-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by alfack
I bought mine in Idaho and live in Washington. The only thing you have to watch out for is dealer incentives and rebates. My truck (XLT) had $10,000 in incentives and rebates combined. So I paid 23k on a 33k sticker price. In WA, they have a BS tax law, where instead of paying taxes on the 23k I paid for the truck, I had to pay taxes on $28k. They said this was due to 5k being a factory rebate (not taxed) and 5k being a dealer incentive (taxed).

If I had known this ahead of time, I would have tried to get them to write up the contract differently. I don't know if its the same in MS, but I wasn't too happy when I found out I had to come up with an extra $400.

Oh yeah, usually the dealer mails the title to the licensing dept. in your state. Once they receive the title, they let you know and you have to go to the licensing agent and pay up, to get your plates.

What's next? They gonna charge you tax on $33 dollar jeans you bought at a half-price sale from your favorite store? Seems kinda like taxation w/o representation to me.

Good luck
here in MS you pay a $5 title fee and they give you all paperwork to take to the tag office. and it is only based off the bottom, out the door final price of the truck.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
New vehicles do not have a title. The dealer supplies a "Certificate of Origin" and the state Motor Vehicle Division creates a title.

When I did some time in the Air Force I bought new vehicles but planned ahead and had the motor vehicle folks in Austin, Texas send me all the documents and I gave them to the dealer in Maryland to fill out and send back to Austin.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Speaking as a Canuck, when I was looking into importing a vehicle from the US, I researched a bunch of different states to find out about taxes. I found that it depended on which state you bought from. Some states would still charge me their state tax even though I'm not a resident. I could have gone through customs etc to apply and receive those tax dollars back (as long as there also wasn't some rediculous county tax cuz that tax you won't get back), but needless to say, I didn't want the hassle so I narrowed it down to which states DIDN'T charge an out of state/country buyer taxes and those were the states I was concentrating on.
This applies to those of you that actually reside in the US as well, so make sure you know what you're getting into before you make the plunge.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
I walked...

I walked...the dealer quoted me for $400 under invoice yesterday with a $1000 military incentive for 0% at 60 months. They fax me the purchase order today and there are an extra $400 tacked on for "window etching" and a $600 fee for processing. Yeah right! I talked to a sales manager and they said they wouldn't budge. While it's the truck I wanted, it pisses me off that my military incentive would go right back into the dealers pocket. Oh well, the perfect truck and 0% will come along again. Or I might wait till next summer and just buy a Vette.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:19 PM
I hate dealers. They rape people all the time. And you have great credit and they still are tryign to rape you.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Holy Double Post

Old 09-14-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by DarinFred
I walked...the dealer quoted me for $400 under invoice yesterday with a $1000 military incentive for 0% at 60 months. They fax me the purchase order today and there are an extra $400 tacked on for "window etching" and a $600 fee for processing. Yeah right! I talked to a sales manager and they said they wouldn't budge. While it's the truck I wanted, it pisses me off that my military incentive would go right back into the dealers pocket. Oh well, the perfect truck and 0% will come along again. Or I might wait till next summer and just buy a Vette.
where did you go? have to tried aberdeen, sp, or even up in tupelo or iuka....my brother is a new dr in iuka and i think he was look there and had pretty good deals.....shop around.....other dealers can buy that truck you want if you can close a deal.....

Quick Reply: Question about financing and taxes...