2004 - 2008 F-150

CB, 102" whip, install done. Changing again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007 | 03:41 PM
|
CB, 102" whip, install done. Changing again...

Okay, so I have the radio in the truck, and the install is pretty sweet so far. The radio is...

Radio Shack TRC-465 AM / SSB 40 channel with noise canceling power mic.
18 ft 100% double shield RG8x coax with Amphenol PL-259s and reducers.
Aluminum 3 way mirror mount with SO-239 stud.
Hustler C-29 Stainless Steel Pot Belly spring.
Radio Shack 102" Stainless Steel antenna whip.

The power is tapped directly off of the cigarette lighter power. The fuse in the fuse box is 10amps, the fuse to the radio is 3, and it is a FAR cry from near its limit when the radio is going full bore.

SWR on the antenna system reads 1.0 flat across the band.

UPCOMING CHANGE:
I came up with a need to free up the space in the cab I have been using to put groceries, jumper cables, recovery straps, etc... and a GREAT sale on a Delta gullwing toolbox came up at the same time ($150.00 + tax). I jumped on it, and am sending the box to the body shop to get shot in Arizona Beige to match the truck. Once I get the box back, I am moving the antenna to the box using a Skythumper Grizzly Stainless Steel Stud mount, and 2 3" diameter Stainless Steel fender washers to take the abuse the 102" can deliver.

I am planning on moving the antenna there, instead of the back of the bed by the cab to reduce reflection. I will be grounding the toolbox to the frame to insure that I have a good ground. I am reasonably certain I should see the same SWR as I have now. I should just have better radiation of the antenna itself due to greater distance to the back of the cab.

And yes I know, CB is pretty old school. Sure. But honestly, it is what the 4x4 clubs require, it is also a good hobby to play around with. And it is certainly a lot more fun than the stuffy ham bands ever thought of being.

Old 09-21-2007 | 04:37 PM
you've got an 8'-6" antenna? yowza

I guess I'll be stuck with crappy reception as long as I keep my 3'er

Old 09-21-2007 | 04:41 PM
need pictures of this setup... it sounds pretty interesting

Old 09-21-2007 | 04:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by ROB281
you've got an 8'-6" antenna? yowza

I guess I'll be stuck with crappy reception as long as I keep my 3'er
Actually with the 6" Hustler spring the antenna system is 9" from the mount to the tip. A total of 13 feet 6" from the ground. I not only receive from here to timbuktu, but I talk there too...

Old 09-21-2007 | 04:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by ridge
need pictures of this setup... it sounds pretty interesting
These are the ones I have. I am waiting to get the toolbox out of the paint shop and the rest of the rig installed to update the pics...
BTW, The toolbox, as well as the secondary color on a custom 2 tone on this truck will be Dark Stone. Sort of an inverted version of the Eddie Bauer paint scheme...

Old 09-21-2007 | 05:08 PM
Tree hugger's of America won't allow 102" whips, excessive tree damage!!! Get some pics up of the painted toolbox. Gotta run and put away stuff on the patio before this little storm hits tomorrow, catch ya'll later.

Old 09-21-2007 | 05:57 PM
Any problems with it hitting the cab. Do agree that although it's a little unsightly in my book. It's one of the best antennas you can install.

Old 09-22-2007 | 01:41 AM
x2 what about hitting the cab, would this work good as a magnet mount right now im running a oil cooled antenna and its doing very well but i been thinking about upgrading again

Old 09-22-2007 | 07:12 AM
Should work better since instead of the antenna being coiled tightly in a container cooled with oil, it's all out in the air and straight up.

Wish I could do it. Don't like the looks enough myself to do it but aknoledge that it is better than what I have.

Old 10-17-2007 | 12:46 PM
|
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
Should work better since instead of the antenna being coiled tightly in a container cooled with oil, it's all out in the air and straight up.

Wish I could do it. Don't like the looks enough myself to do it but aknoledge that it is better than what I have.
Well, to answer the questions. YES the antenna mounted where I have it pictured does whip back and smack the third brake light. NOW, I have it mounted on the toolbox. (no pics yet, I am working my way up to doing the 2 tone and painting the toolbox), and it does NOT hit the cab at all. It looks a LOT better on the toolbox, but I am pretty sure some folks might not like the looks of 6" of SS spring, and 102" of SS stinger hanging up above the truck. I personally like the look... Makes it look like a real 4x4...

That and the kid at Taco Bell freaks out whenever the antenna drags through the drive through... It makes a heck of a noise!

Old 10-18-2007 | 12:20 AM
UPS just dropped this off a couple hours ago. How much did you pay for the whip?

Firestik K14BM - Ball Mount
Stainless Steel "Pot Belly" Antenna Spring
Firestik - K8 - 18 Foot Coax With Lug Terminals

Old 10-18-2007 | 03:30 PM
|
$24.99 + tax. Well worth the $$... Just make sure you go to the hardware store and buy a 3/8" STAINLESS STEEL split lock washer to replace the steel one the whip comes with. You have an all stainless rig there. No need to have one spot of rust on it!

Quick Reply: CB, 102" whip, install done. Changing again...