2004 - 2008 F-150

Tranny...... Uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007 | 03:15 PM
|
Tranny...... Uh oh

Well, it's been a fun ride with the stock tranny, but I think it is starting to go on me. I'm getting an occasional slip feeling under load in 4th and OD. It rides fine 1-3rd, and 4th gear is okay to slightly accelerate in, but in overdrive I feel a hard slip when I'm climbing a hill and raising the rpm's, or when I try to get on it a little. I let off right away when I feel the slip, and it does fine for getting around town, but I'm curious if these are the starting signs of the tranny going on me. I've never had one go on me before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I can drive in 4th and OD fine, even on freeways, and excellerating slowly doesn't cause any slipping.

My question is, is this the tranny slipping, or something else? If it is the tranny, I plan to upgrade to a better one. What are my options there? I remember seeing a post a while back about upgraded transmissions available for our trucks, but I couldn't find it on a quick search.

I can still do burnouts and launch off the line no problem. The other day I smoked a subaru WRX, so Speedy still has some life left in him. Everything else with the truck seems to be working fine, but it's still a constant battle with the low octane premium we have in Alaska. I have to change the plugs every lube job because I'm using Torco to up the octane. It gets rid of the pinging, but I think I'm going to try mixing unleaded race fuel with our premium next year. The truck is going in the garage for the winter pretty soon, so I've got some time to get that all figured out. Before I put it away, I'll try to get some video of some burnouts.

Last edited by 05RoushMarkLT; 09-28-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2007 | 05:03 PM
5th gear?

Old 09-28-2007 | 05:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by HCFR-Halligan
5th gear?
The torque converter locking up feels like a 4-5 shift.

Old 09-28-2007 | 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The torque converter locking up feels like a 4-5 shift.
'05, have you looked into the 6R60 or whatever the new Expedition has? I don't know what it's capacities are but the extra gears would be nice and I'm guessing it may have a chance at fitting without major mods?

Compared to my old '98 it seems the '07's (and maybe all '04+) make extensive use of the torque converter to fake extra gears. While this works ok in normal driving I wonder how many people have towed in OD with the converter unlocked thinking it had geared down to third or had an extra gear all together? I had to play around with it the first few miles on my first highway pull and finally just turned OD off to make sure it stayed in third. I know it's better to always turn OD off when towing but I really never that much playing around with the E4OD.

Old 09-28-2007 | 06:09 PM
|
Originally Posted by HCFR-Halligan
5th gear?
Overdrive is what I meant. I know it is a 4 speed automatic, so I presumed my 4th gear includes the overdrive.

I'll check into the 6R60, but I think I'd like to find a beefier set up built for these trucks. I recall there being something out there, but I can't find that post or the company who makes them. When I get back home I plan to talk to a couple of local tranny shops to see what they can do, but performance anything in the town I live in is really lacking.

I haven't towed much since the big pull in May of 2006 hauling 6-7000 pounds from Vegas to Alaska. The truck handled fine for over a year after that, but I've got 25,000+ miles in 18 months on the truck with the supercharger now. I guess I was due for something.

Old 09-28-2007 | 07:36 PM
I just replaced my tranny in my 05 with 47,000 miles. I lost 3rd and 4th gear. All the clutch packs were burnt up. I had punched it prior to turning to leave town and it ripped them through 1st, second and hit third gear but as soon as i let off to turn the corner and head home....she wouldnt shift and rpms just climbed. over 4 grand of warrenty doesnt cover...

Old 09-29-2007 | 12:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
I just replaced my tranny in my 05 with 47,000 miles. I lost 3rd and 4th gear. All the clutch packs were burnt up. I had punched it prior to turning to leave town and it ripped them through 1st, second and hit third gear but as soon as i let off to turn the corner and head home....she wouldnt shift and rpms just climbed. over 4 grand of warrenty doesnt cover...
I figure if I'm going to have to fork out around 4 grand, I might as well get something better than the stock tranny.

Any info on aftermarket tranny's for 04+ F150's???

Old 09-29-2007 | 02:03 AM
I don't know about these trucks, but I know the guys with Diesels who are pushing more power change their tranny and torque converter. You might want to look at a better torque converter while your doing the tranny.

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

There is an Art Carr built tranny in the classifieds right now. Might be worth checking into.

Last edited by kd4crs; 09-29-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2007 | 01:36 PM
What ever happened to those Monster Box trannies? Isnt that what Rafa was using?
http://www.jasperengines.com/monster-box.htm
I know they have a 4r75 version but not sure on the quality.

Old 09-29-2007 | 02:54 PM
i was gonna make a post today about my tranny but i was too late keep the info coming guys on aftermarket trannys or good place to get a rebuild

im at 75k and will be at 100k within a year and im not so sure if my tranny will like that....

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:23 PM
There is a good aftermarket tranny that we can get but that info is on my home PC. It is around 3K with converter set up the way you want, mine will be towing capable but also strip ready with about a 22-24k stall. This is the tranny that was put in rafas truck for the magazine article they did, but he says to stay with the single plate clutch verses the tripple plate clutch. Very nice guy his name was Darrin. When I get home in the morning I will post the info for you.

PS - My tranny is doing the same thing that yours is except I did notice second gear did this to me once also. I have 75K on my truck with 25K with the SC and I do tow a 6K boat at least every other weekend.

Old 09-29-2007 | 11:51 PM
|
That would be great Huitt! I was hoping to find out about rafa's set up. I know he didn't have much luck with the Monster Box tranny, and he was running only about 75 horses more than me, so I'm leary about using them.

As for the tranny on the classifieds, it doesn't sit well with me to pay 2K for something like that from a classified ad, I think I'll skip that route, but thank you for passing it on.

Old 09-30-2007 | 11:53 AM
Ok here is the info.

Darrin Burch
BC Automotive
bc_automotive@sbcglobal.net
www.bc-automotive.com
317-514-0816

Old 10-01-2007 | 06:48 PM
|
Huitt, do you plan on getting this set up? I'd like to hear some feedback on it before dropping that kind of cash and having it shipped up to Alaska.

Do you know if these are rebuilt tranny's from our trucks, or are they a complete aftermarket set up?

Thanks a bunch for posting, I appreciate the links.

Quick Reply: Tranny...... Uh oh