2004 - 2008 F-150

Anybody install FX-4 Factory skid plates to a XLT 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007 | 07:44 PM
|
Anybody install FX-4 Factory skid plates to a XLT 4x4?

Just curious, this fall I will be venturing off road in my 2007 XLT Screw, for some Hunting & Fishing up North. I ordered the FX-4 factory skid plates for the front end & for the transfer case. Do both of them just bolt up in existing holes already on the frame? I figure the off road protection won't hurt when the going gets rough..................

Old 10-02-2007 | 07:46 PM
I don't know if the FX4 comes with "special" skid-plates, but my XLT came with skid-plates as an option. I would assume they're the same as the FX4 plates...but not sure.

Old 10-02-2007 | 07:58 PM
Maybe go after market if you want the sturdiest skid plates.

Old 10-02-2007 | 08:21 PM
They will bolt up to existing holes if factory. My XLT has then as an option. Seem to be worthless to me. I guess better than nothing. Be careful when changing your oil.

Old 10-03-2007 | 12:32 AM
I had no trouble bolting up the engine skid plate to my XLT
Let me know how the transfer case works I'll be looking at that one next

Old 10-03-2007 | 04:18 AM
hardware

The skid plates are the same, but you will need to buy mounting hardware as well. Four clip nuts and four bolts per plate, and each plate uses a different size. If you search the forums for skid plate hardware you should be able to find the part numbers. Set me back about $30 for the hardware from getfordparts.com. Clips go in existing holes, hold up skid plate, put in bolts, that's it. For the rear two holes on the engine skid plate, you will need to remove two rubber blanks to get to the holes for the clip nuts.

Old 10-03-2007 | 06:53 AM
Suspended
Just a warning dont plan on using the skid much and it holding up. I high-centered mine on a dirt mount, not even enough to get stuck, and my t case skid bent up enough to contact my exhaust. I bent it back then used a dremel tool to remove some material from the skid in that area so it wouldnt hit the exhaust again. They are not reinforced enough to actually "skid" a 6k lbs truck on without damage. But I guess they are better then nothing

Old 10-03-2007 | 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by hllon4whls
They will bolt up to existing holes if factory. My XLT has then as an option. Seem to be worthless to me. I guess better than nothing. Be careful when changing your oil.
The skid plates have holes in the right places for changing your oil. I do all my own changes and have never had any trouble.

Old 10-03-2007 | 10:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The fuel tank skid plate actually involves changing the tank mounting straps out because the mounts for it are integrated into them. The fuel tank skid plate is just a composite (plastic) plate anyway, probably not worth the trouble.

Old 10-03-2007 | 05:46 PM
I added them to my 05 Lariat and they just bolted right on. Make sure you order the clips and bolts as well. I saved them when I traded it in and it is worth noting that the one I ordered from the dealer was way more heavy duty than the one that came stock, as well as being painted black. From what I recall, it was the transfer case plate was called a skid plate but the front one was called something else. ( sorry, forget what but will look for receipt ). But one thing for sure, it is heavier and thicker than the one that came stock on my 06 fx4.

Old 10-03-2007 | 09:28 PM
|
Skid plates are in!

I agree with you, the ones I ordered from the dealer are painted black & seem to be quite thicker! I was lazy so I had the dealer install them this evening for just $44.00. Glad I have them & feel better when I venture off road.......

Old 10-04-2007 | 09:43 AM
i have an 05xlt 4x4 and that was the first mod i did. Its better than nothing!

chris

Old 10-05-2007 | 10:21 AM
Anyone offer aftermarket kits for F150/Expy's...?

Old 10-12-2007 | 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by MiamiDave
Anyone offer aftermarket kits for F150/Expy's...?
You don't want to pay for some type of kit!! Trust me! Its easy as can be. Get under your truck, find the mounting brakets, make some measurement, then make a drawing (template) of what you want the skid to look like, measurements and angles and where you need the holes drilled. then bring it down to a local fab shop and have them cut and bend some metal for you (unless you have the tools to do so). It would nto only be cheaper, but much, much stronger. Not only stronger but you can give it a personal touch or even create a complete belly skid, protecting all your vital components. And if you don't "have" the time to get under there for the template, im sure a local fab shop would be willing to do ALL the work for you (for extra cash!) Factory skids = crap!

Old 10-12-2007 | 06:58 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
You don't want to pay for some type of kit!! Trust me! Its easy as can be. Get under your truck, find the mounting brakets, make some measurement, then make a drawing (template) of what you want the skid to look like, measurements and angles and where you need the holes drilled. then bring it down to a local fab shop and have them cut and bend some metal for you (unless you have the tools to do so). It would nto only be cheaper, but much, much stronger. Not only stronger but you can give it a personal touch or even create a complete belly skid, protecting all your vital components. And if you don't "have" the time to get under there for the template, im sure a local fab shop would be willing to do ALL the work for you (for extra cash!) Factory skids = crap!
I agree with you on everything but the price. Atleast here in Houston they wanted much more to make them than I would have paid for factory skids. Ended up spending the "labor" money on materials and tools and did all the work myself for a quarter of the price. Good machine shops are not cheap I learned

Quick Reply: Anybody install FX-4 Factory skid plates to a XLT 4x4?