2004 - 2008 F-150

Goodbye Ranger, hello F150

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye Ranger, hello F150

Hey guys, been looking around here the last few days as I worked a deal on my new (used) F150. Found one in the color I wanted with a little more than I was looking for, for about what I was looking to spend. Got a good deal I think as it was priced similar to less equipped vehicles with more mileage.

Not sure what I'm going to do mods wise. I won't lift it, level it at the most. It's for hauling my motorcycles around, and I'm kind of short, and getting my dirtbike in the back (road track bike I use my trailer) of my Ranger was a chore as it was. Leveling and some wheels and street tires (My only off roading is done with the dirtbike) and some dress up stuff for the exterior. Interior I want to dress up too starting with some seat covers as the seats have a little staining to them.

I'm open to suggestions, but know that I hate shiny stuff except for paint. No billet grills, no chrome. I figure I'll continue with the yellow and black theme that I do so well.

Anyway, here's a picture of the new toy.

Today was a crappy day for pictures as the weather is getting into some typical Ohio early winter weather, but I think they came out well. More pics on my webpage here -> http://www.leanangle.com/Vehicles/20...7/Default.aspx

Thanks for looking, and I love love love it! My ranger was my little Bit*h but this one is going to be my baby.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:26 PM
First off WELCOME....

Nice looking truck and it looks very clean.. If your going to be uding the truck to haul your bikes around I would level it out but putting a 2" drop shackel in the rear. That way you will lower the over all height of the tailgate.

Side note nice track photos

Old 11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
What did you do with your Ranger? My daily driver is a '97 Ranger I've had since it was new -- what a great little truck!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
What did you do with your Ranger? My daily driver is a '97 Ranger I've had since it was new -- what a great little truck!
Same here, 98 Ranger, 5-speed, 126,000 miles.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Nice truck and welcome to the site!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of dropping the rear, I was planning on raising the front, which would conversely drop the rear about 1/4 of an inch. I'll probably end up doing like some folks do and just run two ramps, one for the bike and one for me to walk up. Seems to work pretty well that way. I'll have to see. I do prefer the look of a lifted truck, but I also know that the only off road it'll ever see is driving through the field to our spot to unload the bikes.

The Ranger got traded in. I tried really hard to love it, but having test driven both the F150 and the Ranger back to back, I've been coveting the F150 behind the Ranger's back. So I traded it in. Still owed on it, but wasn't too upside down at this point to let it go. That's what I was waiting for, for my loan to kind of even out, and for the used 04+ model F150's to get into my price range. They both kind of got there right about now, so things kind of worked out. I'd planned to try doing a bunch of mods to the Ranger to get me to love her, but when I looked at the money I was prepared to dump in a truck I didn't love, it just made more sense to go get something I do love from the start, and then treat it right from then on. And I do so love this new truck.

Daily driver? Nope, I use public transportation to get to work. Dang parking downtown is super expensive, and the gas and wear and tear isn't worth it. Not to mention the frustration. I haven't arrived at work pissed off at the traffic in two years. Get on the bus/train, open my book and read and bam, I'm at work. Either that or I usually commute by Motorcycle, but I'm without a street bike at the moment, but I'll have one again. Getting 40mpg on a bike makes me not cringe so badly at the gas consumption of the F150.

Thanks for the compliments on the track pics, I love going out there and letting it all hang out. It's the place to do it because you don't have to worry about idiots in big yellow trucks trying to kill you! That and no cops and a safe environment. I get out there every chance I can get. Nice bike yourself. I had a 2000 F4, but it was stolen from my apartment.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Suspended
NICE BACKDROP! Love the leaves.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Looks good and welcome. If you dont like shiney things, I say first appearance mods are XLT mirros and possibly powder coating the factory rims black.
It sounds like you plan to tow some lite loads with your truck. Remember that increase in tire size reduces your trailer towing weight quickly.

Hope you enjoy your F150. Get used to fordparts.com (not that they are problematic) and stay away from this site if you dont want to get the mod bug.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Are you kidding me? I own motorcycles...I'm already so infested with the mod bug it's crazy. But I've already been lurking on here enough to have a bunch of ideas...more ideas than my wallet can handle.

Powdercoat the stock rims...never thought of that. I do kind of like em. I'd thought of black whees but never considered going that route.

Thanks for the compliment on the leaves. They are pretty much done here, all colors changed and falling off the trees at an alarming rate. Half the trees are bare. Another few windy rainy days and it'll be all gone till spring. Looks like I was just in time to get a couple of good pics in. Now for some snow pictures.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome aboard, gixx! Glad to have you.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on your truck and welcome to the site.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Dude where are u at, I live towards Ashland area

Old 11-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Not too terribly far from you, I'm up in Parma. Love that topper.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Nice truck guys,i also had a Ranger before i got my F-150.

I live in Ohio also 5 minutes from Streetsboro,Ohio if you know where that is.Here's a picture of my F-150,Later Mark.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great up-trade. Rangers are nice, but their older/bigger brothers are always better

Quick Reply: Goodbye Ranger, hello F150