2004 - 2008 F-150

Tips on drive by wire ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ALL that work just to appease the Soccer Moms!

Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
The torque based ETC is a hardware and software strategy that delivers an engine output torque
(via throttle angle) based on driver demand (pedal position). It uses an electronic throttle body, the
powertrain control module (PCM), and an accelerator pedal assembly to control the throttle
opening and engine torque. The ETC system replaces the standard cable operated accelerator
pedal, idle air control (IAC) valve, 3-wire throttle position sensor (TPS), and mechanical throttle
body.

Torque based ETC enables aggressive automatic transmission shift schedules (earlier upshifts and
later downshifts). This is possible by adjusting the throttle angle to achieve the same wheel torque
during shifts, and by calculating this desired torque, the system prevents engine lugging (low RPM
and low manifold vacuum) while still delivering the performance and torque requested by the
driver. It also enables many fuel economy/emission improvement technologies such as variable
camshaft timing (VCT) (deliver same torque during transitions).
Torque based ETC also results in less intrusive vehicle and engine speed limiting, along with
smoother traction control.
Other benefits of ETC are:
• eliminate cruise control actuators
• eliminate idle air control (IAC) valve
• better airflow range
• packaging (no cable)
• more responsive powertrain at altitude and improved shift quality

It should be noted that the ETC system illuminates a powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench) on
the instrument cluster when a concern is present. Concerns are accompanied by diagnostic trouble
codes (DTCs) and may also illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) System Strategy
The torque based ETC strategy was developed to improve fuel economy and to accommodate
variable camshaft timing (VCT). This is possible by not coupling the throttle angle to the driver
pedal position. Uncoupling the throttle angle (produce engine torque) from the pedal position
(driver demand) allows the powertrain control strategy to optimize fuel control and transmission
shift schedules while delivering the requested wheel torque.

The ETC monitor system is distributed across 2 processors within the PCM: the main powertrain
control processor unit (CPU) and a monitoring processor called an enhanced-quizzer (E-Quizzer)
processor. The primary monitoring function is carried out by the independent plausibility check
(IPC) software, which resides on the main processor. It is responsible for determining the
driver-demanded torque and comparing it to an estimate of the actual torque delivered. If the
generated torque exceeds driver demand by a specified amount, the IPC takes appropriate
corrective action.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellant i.ride.suzuki
thanks
Does this 4.6 have VVT?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Roodoo2
Excellant i.ride.suzuki
thanks
Does this 4.6 have VVT?
Nope.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
I didnt think so, but after reading that.. whew.
I want this truck to be as simple and maintenance free as possible. I have seen dozens of crown vic 4.6 take a severe beating with very little up keep other than oil changes, TB cleaning, IAC replacment, and occasional COP parts changes. ( oh and cracked intakes) otherwise wow what an engine. Just these truck 4.6 are a good bit de-tuned for some reason.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
ALL that work just to appease the Soccer Moms!
soccer moms?
and you drive a...?

soccer mom = ta-hoe
Nissux Armada, Outlanders, Oddeseys, oh and Navigators my bad

Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
The torque based ETC is a hardware and software strategy that delivers an engine output torque
(via throttle angle) based on driver demand (pedal position). It uses an electronic throttle body, the
powertrain control module (PCM), and an accelerator pedal assembly to control the throttle
opening and engine torque. The ETC system replaces the standard cable operated accelerator
pedal, idle air control (IAC) valve, 3-wire throttle position sensor (TPS), and mechanical throttle
body.

Torque based ETC enables aggressive automatic transmission shift schedules (earlier upshifts and
later downshifts). This is possible by adjusting the throttle angle to achieve the same wheel torque
during shifts, and by calculating this desired torque, the system prevents engine lugging (low RPM
and low manifold vacuum) while still delivering the performance and torque requested by the
driver. It also enables many fuel economy/emission improvement technologies such as variable
camshaft timing (VCT) (deliver same torque during transitions).
Torque based ETC also results in less intrusive vehicle and engine speed limiting, along with
smoother traction control.
Other benefits of ETC are:
• eliminate cruise control actuators
• eliminate idle air control (IAC) valve
• better airflow range
• packaging (no cable)
• more responsive powertrain at altitude and improved shift quality

It should be noted that the ETC system illuminates a powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench) on
the instrument cluster when a concern is present. Concerns are accompanied by diagnostic trouble
codes (DTCs) and may also illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) System Strategy
The torque based ETC strategy was developed to improve fuel economy and to accommodate
variable camshaft timing (VCT). This is possible by not coupling the throttle angle to the driver
pedal position. Uncoupling the throttle angle (produce engine torque) from the pedal position
(driver demand) allows the powertrain control strategy to optimize fuel control and transmission
shift schedules while delivering the requested wheel torque.

The ETC monitor system is distributed across 2 processors within the PCM: the main powertrain
control processor unit (CPU) and a monitoring processor called an enhanced-quizzer (E-Quizzer)
processor. The primary monitoring function is carried out by the independent plausibility check
(IPC) software, which resides on the main processor. It is responsible for determining the
driver-demanded torque and comparing it to an estimate of the actual torque delivered. If the
generated torque exceeds driver demand by a specified amount, the IPC takes appropriate
corrective action.
So when my right toe is making a dent in the sheet metal, why doesnt the CPU and the EQ know that I want to go faster and give me the torque that the driver demands?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by hllon4whls
So when my right toe is making a dent in the sheet metal, why doesnt the CPU and the EQ know that I want to go faster and give me the torque that the driver demands?
Because the factory calibration of ETC is brain-dead. It will give you more torque when it deems appropriate, and cares not a rat's *** about your throttle inputs. In effect it doesn't really believe you want more torque if it's predictions tell it othewise, lol.

One reason a properly written custom tune with ETC enhancements is so fekking amazing. Ask suzook - he knows... now.

The other reason is obvious - in stock trim, there just ain't any power to begin with

Quick Reply: Tips on drive by wire ?