2004 - 2008 F-150

Tips on drive by wire ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on drive by wire ?

title says it, also how to drive these auto tx clutching transmissions.
So far I can definately tell something about the thottle. It will go the same speed if you give it a lot or if you drive like an egg is under your foot. I guess it is good to run the cruise as much as possible.
I saw someting mentioned about those two things and there are ways to drive these for better efficiency. .. but never saw a discusssion.
So folks what do you got?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
let me take a wild guess here and say over half of the owners have no idea what drive by wire is?
Ok Im a noob here but have been an auto tech for three decades, I dont work at a Ford dealer but do work with a Ford fleet.

I also add to the inquisition, what should an owner expect to feel with these "learning transmissions" I will find the thread where these were mentioned and post the quote. I do know something is up with this truck, and admittedly I do not know much about them, but you can ask me any crown vic or ANY old body style F series you want..

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 PM
i think he's talking about the trottle by wire design. ..

i drive with a lead foot , so i'm a bad example.

chris

Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Crstfr
i think he's talking about the trottle by wire design. ..

i drive with a lead foot , so i'm a bad example.

chris
same here, plus a tuner.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
ChirsAdamsAn instant mileage indicator, any of the ones mentioned, will show you that with the electronic throttle setup you can hold a steady speed with these vehicles at different gas usages. That is, to go say 50 you can get 15-16-18 etc. miles per gallon at the same speed, depending on how ‘deep’ your foot is in the throttle. You have to experience this using instant feedback to understand what I mean.
Here is one mention of the concept.. I am still cruising threads to find tidbits, I think it would help a lot of us understand these trucks if we knew a little more about these charactoristics

Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Roodoo2
what should an owner expect to feel with these "learning transmissions"
It should feel just as it felt when you drove off the lot, or at least that is fords concept.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
looks like I can break in my noobness on this one thread..

What I notice is, like on the interstate or open road, I can be going 60 mph.. well to maintain that MPH I can taper off the pressure on the gas pedal via the foot. . and still go 60 MPH regardless of mild grades or what ever. BUT at the same 60 MPH I can just leave pressure on the pedal and even go a little deeper, and still makes no difference in speed really. It is like the transmission is slipping but it really is not. It kind of feels like it has gears between gears.
Sounds odd, sure. but if you go to a Ranger or an F250 (auto tx) drive it like is aint yours.. you will feel two different transmissions, one close ratio the other one somewhat normal. Hammer it and it sounds like a top loader tranny, or a dirt bike.. drive it granny and it shifts like you would expect but with a bit of heavyness in the lock up department.
I hope I didnt lose ya on my point

Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
It should feel just as it felt when you drove off the lot, or at least that is fords concept.
where are the tech-ee guys when you need um..

Old 11-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
same here, plus a tuner.
same here plus charger and cams

Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Roodoo2:

What you describe is how ETC works for the driver. What are you trying to understand here?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Quote ChrisAdams
On the way people assume you drive heavy, that’s not really it. These trucks have very different driving results than previous trucks.
Drive by wire, clutching torque converters and the heavy frame, plus the learning transmission all contribute to a different driving experience.
Things that worked perfectly on a non-clutching torque converter in a lighter truck cost gas and brake wear that would NOT be normal on the previous models.
Getting used to drive by wire alone can take weeks. Some never adapt and you see their posts about brake problems, really rotten gas mileage, throttle problems that don’t seem to make sense. It’s not that they are doing anything bad, it’s just the rules have changed a bit with this model.
Here it is..

Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
i hope mine didn't have it...

i say hope and didn't because if so, i'm sure ive tore the heck out of it

Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I've got to admit, the drive by wire on my '07 is really decent. I've got a stick, and when you pulse the gas when doing casual launching from a stop, it reacts well. Unlike our Compass which is a slow as a snail to throttle response.

My Dakota being the old style throttle cable is still the fastest... like really fast...

Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
i hope mine didn't have it...

i say hope and didn't because if so, i'm sure ive tore the heck out of it
if you look at your thottle body and see what looks like a window motor, you got it
if you do not have a cable or anything remotely like a cable, you got it

I searched and read for about four hours Saturday and saw little on this subject, so that is the point/concern, I would like to see what others have noticed, blah blah blah..
I am sold on the Edge, but will have to wait till after the holidays. meanwhile I need to get some MPG and try to save on the slippage If I can control it somehow.

Last edited by Roodoo2; 11-19-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
The torque based ETC is a hardware and software strategy that delivers an engine output torque
(via throttle angle) based on driver demand (pedal position). It uses an electronic throttle body, the
powertrain control module (PCM), and an accelerator pedal assembly to control the throttle
opening and engine torque. The ETC system replaces the standard cable operated accelerator
pedal, idle air control (IAC) valve, 3-wire throttle position sensor (TPS), and mechanical throttle
body.

Torque based ETC enables aggressive automatic transmission shift schedules (earlier upshifts and
later downshifts). This is possible by adjusting the throttle angle to achieve the same wheel torque
during shifts, and by calculating this desired torque, the system prevents engine lugging (low RPM
and low manifold vacuum) while still delivering the performance and torque requested by the
driver. It also enables many fuel economy/emission improvement technologies such as variable
camshaft timing (VCT) (deliver same torque during transitions).
Torque based ETC also results in less intrusive vehicle and engine speed limiting, along with
smoother traction control.
Other benefits of ETC are:
• eliminate cruise control actuators
• eliminate idle air control (IAC) valve
• better airflow range
• packaging (no cable)
• more responsive powertrain at altitude and improved shift quality

It should be noted that the ETC system illuminates a powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench) on
the instrument cluster when a concern is present. Concerns are accompanied by diagnostic trouble
codes (DTCs) and may also illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) System Strategy
The torque based ETC strategy was developed to improve fuel economy and to accommodate
variable camshaft timing (VCT). This is possible by not coupling the throttle angle to the driver
pedal position. Uncoupling the throttle angle (produce engine torque) from the pedal position
(driver demand) allows the powertrain control strategy to optimize fuel control and transmission
shift schedules while delivering the requested wheel torque.

The ETC monitor system is distributed across 2 processors within the PCM: the main powertrain
control processor unit (CPU) and a monitoring processor called an enhanced-quizzer (E-Quizzer)
processor. The primary monitoring function is carried out by the independent plausibility check
(IPC) software, which resides on the main processor. It is responsible for determining the
driver-demanded torque and comparing it to an estimate of the actual torque delivered. If the
generated torque exceeds driver demand by a specified amount, the IPC takes appropriate
corrective action.

Quick Reply: Tips on drive by wire ?