2004 - 2008 F-150

How much, is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much, is too much?

Okay so I don't have a lot of crawling experience but since that is pretty much my only option I want to have a little fun. I basically want to know what the limits are of our trucks, I don't feel like finding out myself the hard way. How much an angle or grade have you taken on? I almost shat myself last week. Any tilt is more then I feel comfortable with. Any advice?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know i was scared shatless when we went to this place called Flatrock last winter. it was insane

we had to go up a hill prob equilvalent to competition hill at pismo (seen pictures) to get out but was all rock, mud, and ruts.

and the hill you had to get over entering Flatrock was a good 8 feet tall, and the peak was at the point to where youd get stuck on frame if you went over it straight, you had to go over it at an angle, and when i got my first front tire over and it flopped over and down i thought i was going to flip, my back right tire was maxed out hanging down, my left was maxed out tucked in my fender, rocking back and forth.

truck does pretty well for being a truck and height, if this helps at all.

sorry for spelling errors.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM
You'd be surprised just how far your truck can go. This is kinda a hard question to answer on a forum, it would be better for me to get out on some trails and show you just how extreme it can get (angles that is). Now you say crawling is your only option... you mean rock crawling? (im thinking you just meant going slow... and crawling along) And you wana know our trucks limits on the rocks? IFS=Broken + stuck on rocks. Big huge heavy 5-6k LBS truck (or more) just don't do very good. Suzuki Samurai's (its what i own, my rock buggy) or Jeeps are much better suited for this. You can find em cheap, tow em up and play around, then if you break, your 150 can tow it out and back home

Last edited by MercedesTech; 11-27-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Nothing beats down a truck like rock crawling. All the rock crawlers seem to have fenders crushed and doors all smashed and boxes all crushed, nevermind all the suspension stuff getting banged up. Why is it your only option?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
rock crawling in a pick up this size is possible yes. but its not smart at all. our long wheel base makes it much more difficult to maneuver around and get in tight spots jeeps, samuri's, and little yotas can get into and out of. iv wheeled with a jeep cherokee for the past few years and even that was difficult due to its longer then average wheelbase. our truck do great towing, mudding, some trail riding. but rock crawling is not exactly a smart move. just use your common sense when it comes to trails. good luck and happy wheelin!!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
well... where I live there is really no place to offroad. But... there is this creek a little ways out. It perfect for a little off-roading nothing extreme, they are some nice hills some I would definitely not attempt though, I would tear apart my ifs. The reasoning behind my question is because in order to get to the good part of the trails I have to drive along the side of the creek. Nothing really crazy, very bumpy, and it felt super steep. Like I was going to roll my truck. I'm sure I wasn't, my spotter says I was fine. If I roll my truck he still drives home though...

I am just trying to get a good idea of how much lean it can take. I was going down a hill and my back right tire came up and I felt the blood rush to my face, just don't know my limits yet.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd consider these truck more of a trail, dirt, sand, and light to-medium mud type. The IFS sorta kills any extremes.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
you need one of these bad boys. this should help with the feelings of unease. i know the feeling of dread when you think your about to roll. this should help you keep your head straight http://www.bc4x4.com/quick/2001/cascadia/

Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
whooo hooo!! one hundred posts!! im a senior member

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
you need one of these bad boys. this should help with the feelings of unease. i know the feeling of dread when you think your about to roll. this should help you keep your head straight http://www.bc4x4.com/quick/2001/cascadia/
congrats on 100th post. I like that little gadget but.... how do I know when the chit is going to hit the fan? Is there a certain degree?

Impact I agree with you, the "crawling" I'm talking about is not extreme, it just scares the chit out of me because I sit so I high, it really isn't too bad.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 PM
i wouldnt push it over 25. i would keep it under 20 if possible. you would be surprised a couple of degrees feels like a lot more when your driving. and i know its hard but TRUST YOUR SPOTTER. first time i went wheeling i had problems trusting my fate and that of a 20000 rig to a guy who i got trashed with the night before. but then i realized that no jackass is purposely gunna let their friend roll like that. just take it low and slow and you'll be fine

Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
i wouldnt push it over 25. i would keep it under 20 if possible. you would be surprised a couple of degrees feels like a lot more when your driving. and i know its hard but TRUST YOUR SPOTTER. first time i went wheeling i had problems trusting my fate and that of a 20000 rig to a guy who i got trashed with the night before. but then i realized that no jackass is purposely gunna let their friend roll like that. just take it low and slow and you'll be fine
haha! yeah, I know your right. That is what he was telling me. I just wanted some sort of rule of thumb to have. I may have to buy one of those things. Are there any other tips you have? I'd really like to see some pictures of close calls. Do I have to mount that little gauge thing exactly in the middle of the truck? I was thinking it'd be nice to mount on my visor or something. So you think 20 is okay even with my lift and tires?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my truck doing the 2 wheel balance game before (1 front and 1 rear)...the LS pulled it right through that section

later that night I also had it on the side of an embankment and the mirror was almost touching the ground...my wife and a buddy had to get out of the truck and stand on the passenger steps to counter-balance the truck...interesting experience that I'll never repeat

Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
it really should matter where you mount it. i would keep it as close to the center as you can but your visor should be fine. just make sure you keep it under 20 and you will be golden. just remember the saying "when in doubt throttle it out" does NOT apply in crawling. keep it low and slow and youll be fine. let me know how the gauge works out for ya. happy trails!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Tylus
I've had my truck doing the 2 wheel balance game before (1 front and 1 rear)...the LS pulled it right through that section

later that night I also had it on the side of an embankment and the mirror was almost touching the ground...my wife and a buddy had to get out of the truck and stand on the passenger steps to counter-balance the truck...interesting experience that I'll never repeat
No thanks! I know my trucks limits are probably farther then I use them that's why I figured I'd get some insight for peace of mind.

There really aren't that many inclinometers. Most of them have really ugly pods that I'd never put on my truck. It'd be nice to find a little remote digital one and have the display on my inside of my visor so I could just fold it down when I need it...