2004 - 2008 F-150

Chromed my badges...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 02:22 AM
|
Thumbs up Chromed my badges...

**I'm in Alexandria, Virginia ATM and will post pics upon returning home tomorrow evening**

Well, I've been wanting to do this for several months now and it just became one of those "...next week" things.

I finally had a couple of "nothing" hours yesterday and though "why not?"

First up: I had my DS fender badge replaced earlier this year by the dealership because it was peeling. The PS fender badge and the tailgate badge are the OEM's from day one.

I started with the PS badge. I masked up around the badge very carefully with 3M Painters Masking Tape [HERE]. I then taped two layers of newspaper over that and let it hang down over the wheel arch. I placed a drop cloth on the floor for any acetone that may drip. I used regular acetone that I purchased from the local Lowes.

I dipped a terry towel into the acetone and started rubbing [relatively ] gently. The black paint came off very easily. I had the PS done in less than about four minutes at best.

The DS [the newer badge] was an entire different ball game. No matter how hard I rubbed, the moffo would not budge. I stare at it for a few seconds and pulled out my heat gun. What a difference! First I heated the badge up to a warm/hot feel [at "medium" heat setting] and began rubbing. It peeled off like a hot knife through butter. I continued to heat the badge up at the heat gun's "low setting while I rubbed. I had the badge stripped to chrome in no longer than 90-seconds at best.

I repeated this procedure on the tailgate and an identical result!

So, whoever is contemplating the acetone/badge thingymejigg, take note. Grab yourself a heat gun [blow dryer will work too] and go to work. You'll be amazed how quickly that black paint comes off with next to no effort.

To finish up, I polished all three badges with Meguiar’s® Hot Rims® Mag and Aluminum Polish [HERE] and it came up sparkling.

Hope this helps those contemplating a similar route.

Last edited by Grubrunner; 12-07-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:20 AM
looking forward to the pics

Old 12-07-2007 | 10:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You can do that with a pressure washer too.

Old 12-07-2007 | 01:34 PM
Clear deflector

Grub,

Truck looks AWESOME!

I would, however, consider changing the bug deflector out to a clear one. I had a smoked deflector originally on mine too. Someone here suggested a clear shield since my truck was such a light color (smokestone) and WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made. Since your truck is white, it would be even more dramatic IMO.

Anyway, again, truck looks great!

Last edited by rms8; 12-07-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2007 | 04:55 PM
pics?

Old 12-08-2007 | 12:56 AM
|
Apologies to those waiting for pics but my data [USB] cable from my camera to the PC has a crimp and is not loading the images when plugged in.... I'm guessing the crimp has damaged one of the wires inside therefor effecting the signal. I'm picking up a new one tomorrow from BestBuy, as I have several pics of my little boy to email back home to my family, and will load and post pics then.

Sorry.

Originally Posted by rms8
Grub,

Truck looks AWESOME!

I would, however, consider changing the bug deflector out to a clear one. I had a smoked deflector originally on mine too. Someone here suggested a clear shield since my truck was such a light color (smokestone) and WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made. Since your truck is white, it would be even more dramatic IMO.

Anyway, again, truck looks great!
I wish you had said something a few days ago.

I touched on the fact that I wasn't happy with my current Weathertech bug deflector in another thread a couple of months back. It warpped during this past summer due to a few of 100-plus days the truck was in. A few suggested the genuine Ford bug deflector with the F150 logo on it, and how it was well constructed. I just purchased one this past Tuesday and installed it.

They were spot on about the quality of the Ford bug deflector.

I appreciate the compliments.

HD heads and tails and a Recon 3rd light coming soon.

Old 12-08-2007 | 02:38 AM
DRJ
Clear bug shield painted from behind to match the white on my dad's '01 expy

BTW I pressure washed my black paint off too! Looks great!

Last edited by DRJ; 12-08-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2007 | 03:13 AM
|
Tailgate -

DS -

PS -

Old 12-09-2007 | 03:14 AM
|
Close Ups -

Old 12-09-2007 | 03:16 AM
|
OEM Bug Deflector & Small Ford Logo on Roush Chrome Over Plastic Grille -

Old 12-09-2007 | 03:37 AM
Global Moderator &
That Expy needs a painted grill surround now!

Quick Reply: Chromed my badges...