2004 - 2008 F-150

Show where you have your portable GPS mounted

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^ Here is the picture from adbarron

Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I got my Nuvi 350 in the mail last night! I also got the friction pad with it, it's more like a bean bag deal but it fits right in the dash cut out above the radio. So if anyone is thinking about getting it I will post some pics tonight on how it looks. I'm using the disk install under the dash mat and using the window install on the disk for my set up. This looks really good, it sets right above the cut out above the radio and looks really really clean. I will also post pics of this set up tonight. Can anyone help me figure out how to hard wire or remove one of the 12v out from the dash and hide it behind the dash? I want to drill a hole in the dash on top where the cut out is so there are no loose wires....

Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by neuler
I got my Nuvi 350 in the mail last night! I also got the friction pad with it, it's more like a bean bag deal but it fits right in the dash cut out above the radio. So if anyone is thinking about getting it I will post some pics tonight on how it looks. I'm using the disk install under the dash mat and using the window install on the disk for my set up. This looks really good, it sets right above the cut out above the radio and looks really really clean. I will also post pics of this set up tonight. Can anyone help me figure out how to hard wire or remove one of the 12v out from the dash and hide it behind the dash? I want to drill a hole in the dash on top where the cut out is so there are no loose wires....

I got my Nuvi 200w the other day and love it!!!!!! Its the basic unit in widescreen, but does everything well. When I get to my new home i'll post some pics. I have mine in the same location as neuler with the sticky disk it came with.

PS im also curious as how to hard wire the power supply w/out removing wire from one of the outlets

Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Okay so I got some pics and I ran power cord behind radio/dash. I ended up pulling the lighter out from under the heating controls and just pluged it in behind the dash. In order to do this I had to pull my trim out around radio and take 2 screw out for the tray in the top dash. I then drilled a hole in the dash and ran the cord thru the top. If you want more pics or detail let me know.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 PM
nice job ,i might have to do that too

Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Okay so I got some pics and I ran power cord behind radio/dash. I ended up pulling the lighter out from under the heating controls and just pluged it in behind the dash. In order to do this I had to pull my trim out around radio and take 2 screw out for the tray in the top dash. I then drilled a hole in the dash and ran the cord thru the top. If you want more pics or detail let me know.
I'm trying to grasp how you have it plugged in. So you ran the wire down through the dash, but to plug it into the lighter do you have it hard wired or does it come out from under your dash and plug into the front of the lighter? Maybe I'm just not grasping something in what you wrote or maybe I'm just a dummy. :o I like how you have your's set up and would like to do mine basically the same since my unit looks exactly like yours. Thanks

Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM
No I can see how your confused, I actually removed the lighter (silver piece in previous picture) from the dash. Once you remove all the wires from the backside of the area of the lighter you can push the whole piece out. Then if you look inside the lighter you can see where 2black pieces hold the lighter (silver part) in to the dash. If your pry the 2 tabs away from the silver part you can push forward and the lighter (silver part) comes out. Then all you have to do is plug the wire back into the lighter (silver part) and plug your charger in behind the dash and your good to go. You don't see any of the charger or wires until it comes out the top where it plugs into the GPS. The front where the lighter was will just be a hole. Then just push the wires in behind the dash, no spicing or anything. Safe and no worries! I love my new GPS! Here are some pics
These are the wires before doing anything

Here is the lighter (silver piece) that comes out when tabs are pulled up.

Here is the lighter(silver piece) plugged into the charger(charger is in my hand) and ready to put behind the dash. Good to go here.

Last edited by neuler; 12-20-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Although I will probably be buying a GPS unit rather than running it through the toughbook

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Garmin Nuvi 350 with Ram mount

First - my apologies for the awful cell pics tonight.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 (awesome! ) with the Ram mount and Nuvi 350 cradle (link). I understand that they may now call this Ram mount the "Heavy Duty" mount. (I had a hard time locating them on the Ram site, but you can find a few on eBay.)

It fits perfectly in the dash tray and only moves if you're off-road.

I like this mount for a couple of reasons - sturdy, stays in places, fits the dash tray, has adapters for many different GPS models/phones/toys - but mostly because it is portable. I can easily throw this in the wife's truck and head out.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
I love it how my Garmin falls off the damn window every 30 min.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by crooked
Yep, that's exactly why I went with the Ram mount.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by crooked
So the Ram suction cup mounts aren't worth a crap?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I have the Garmin friction pad and it's just like the Ram mount it fits righit in the dash tray. I wanted my GPS closer so went with other set up but I use the friction pad when I take it on the go. Works very well.

If anyone wants to see pics of how the Garmin friction pad looks let me know and I will take a couple and post them.

Last edited by neuler; 12-21-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I have the Garmin friction pad and it's just like the Ram mount it fits righit in the dash tray. I wanted my GPS closer so went with other set up but I use the friction pad when I take it on the go. Works very well.

If anyone wants to see pics of how the Garmin friction pad looks let me know and I will take a couple and post them.

lol You shouldn't have asked this. I want to see pics. I'm getting a Garmin for Xmas and am trying to decide where I want to put mine.

Quick Reply: Show where you have your portable GPS mounted