2004 - 2008 F-150

Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007 | 04:52 PM
|
Mod Questions

I have been helping out a local farmer now for a little while after work. And well Im thinking of modifing the truck to handle the tasks a little better. I already put an exhaust on it, but I am thinking of an intake. Also a leveling kit, but im not to sure on that because when I am towing I dont want it to look like the back end of the truck is dragging. Anyway, what kind of tires would you all suggest? And what size? Brake controllers, I have been needing a new one since I got kinda mad and smashed the old one....:o Which ones are good? I have heard a lot of things about Prodigy. I am also thinking of a brush guard, tool box and headache rack. What do you all think of this? Also could you guys guide me in the right direction on products to buy and ones to stay away from?
Thanks Alot

Old 12-11-2007 | 06:09 PM
as far as intakes go s&b is the way to go. I would also consider getting a tune. wether or not you get custom tuning or and edge is purely up to you and what you want to do.

Old 12-11-2007 | 06:35 PM
What brake controller you get depends upon what you will be towing. Most trailers these days have electric brakes but some older trailers have what is called electric-over-hydraulic brakes. Not all brake controllers work with electric-over-hydraulic and not all brake controllers will work on multi-axle trailers. If you need a controller for electric brakes, 2-axles or less then the Tekonsha Prodigy is a pretty bullet-proof controller. Just make sure you mount it according to the instructions. If you need capability for both types of brakes and capacity for 1-4 axles then the Tekonsah P3 would fit the bill. Price for these controllers ranges from about $110 to $140.

Old 12-11-2007 | 07:18 PM
Air Force 1 is the way to go for intakes, been proven to produce more hp than any other intake.

I had a S&B and switched to the Air Force 1, 3" because I have the 4.6L and I can say I felt better throttle response than what I got from the S&B.

3.5" AF1 + Mike Troyer custom tunes are picking up a proven 40-50 peak rwhp, 3.5" requires a custom tune though or you will run dangerously lean.

Old 12-11-2007 | 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jwool15
as far as intakes go s&b is the way to go. I would also consider getting a tune. wether or not you get custom tuning or and edge is purely up to you and what you want to do.
Originally Posted by ParkM
Air Force 1 is the way to go for intakes, been proven to produce more hp than any other intake.

I had a S&B and switched to the Air Force 1, 3" because I have the 4.6L and I can say I felt better throttle response than what I got from the S&B.

3.5" AF1 + Mike Troyer custom tunes are picking up a proven 40-50 peak rwhp, 3.5" requires a custom tune though or you will run dangerously lean.
Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really.

Old 12-11-2007 | 09:09 PM
there is an Air force 1 in the classifieds if you want to go that route (no its not mine so this isnt a cheap advertisment ploy) and a few other things you may be interested in....just so you know...

Old 12-11-2007 | 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really.
Its that damn penquin again

Old 12-11-2007 | 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

For tires, it depends what you do. Are you driving out in the fields a lot, where its muddy and gets hairy when raining? then get some mud-terrains (BFGs, Goodyear MTRs, and Cooper STTs are all good choices) or do you do a lot of towing on the highway with occasional offroad use? (for all terrains, look at BFG ATs, Nittos TGs, and Toyo ATs).

Dont get an intake if your not gonna get custom tuning, especially if your truck will be working hard. However, I do recommend that you get both custom tuning and an intake, it makes a huge difference.

Old 12-11-2007 | 11:12 PM
|
Thanks Guys. Towing will probably be only 2 axles cuz I doubt I will take a bigger trailer then his 18' behind my truck, unless its a haywagon. For tires, this truck is my daily driver so I was looking for something I can get decent wear out of, and when i am out in the fields, they wont clog and just sit there and spin, like the stock tires I have now. Colorado Camper, where can I get on of those brake controllers?
Thanks!

Old 12-11-2007 | 11:13 PM
i just bought toyo mudders supposed to be able to get 40-50kmi out of them and also they dont even feel like a mud terrain on the road. i can't personally say yet as they are being delivered tomorrow and then put on my truck shortly but all the reviews ive read have been two thumbs up

Old 12-12-2007 | 04:40 PM
|
Thanks for the info King. I will take them into consideration. But does toyo offer them anywhere near stock size?

Quick Reply: Mod Questions