2004 - 2008 F-150

Squeeky belt after wash and low voltage

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007 | 11:19 AM
|
Squeel from belt after wash and low voltage

Does anybody here get a temporary squeel from their belt after going through a car wash, or if the snow gets through the front grille the right way?
I've had a couple of instances lately with car washes (ones that spray underneath) and during a snowstorm where IMO water/snow got through and hit the serpentine belt. What happened was the voltage dropped with a squeel coming from the belt. This was at night and the lights dimmed and fan for the heater cut down to about half power. It was only tempory, for about 3 seconds and then it seemed like the belt caught, the squeek stopped, the pully caught and voltage was back to norm.

Is this a common gremlin or should I take it in? When I'm running across the lakes this icefishing season and I'm traveling through some heavy slush, I don't want to run into any issues while out there on the lake with water spraying all over the place.

It has happened now about 3 times.

Last edited by last5oh_302; 12-12-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2007 | 11:30 AM
|
I just called my dealer and they're going to throw on a new belt and tensioner. I gave them the same description over the phone and they said brin it in because that's not normal, and it sounds like the belt has stretched some.

Old 12-12-2007 | 12:49 PM
I would put a Gatorback belt on, when I got my tuner I had a belt squeak on 1-2 up shifts I switched to the gatorback and no problems. IMHO the Gatorback is a much better belt than Ford will put on there.
Blake

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:46 PM
|
Originally Posted by birddog_61
I would put a Gatorback belt on, when I got my tuner I had a belt squeak on 1-2 up shifts I switched to the gatorback and no problems. IMHO the Gatorback is a much better belt than Ford will put on there.
Blake
Just got back from the dealer. They changed the tensioner and belt, but the new belt is whatever brand Ford uses, although it's a different belt from the original one.
They also greased the slip yoke while I was there.

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:49 PM
|
Oh, I also spoke to one of the techs for quite some time about the plug issue. He said he heats up the engine so the rad hose is warm, and simply takes them out by feel, without following the TSB. He hasn't had one break.

Quick Reply: Squeeky belt after wash and low voltage