2004 - 2008 F-150

A question about FX4s

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question about FX4s

I don't have a F-150 right now, but I'm starting to really look into them.
My parents expy has shift on the fly and I hate it, I was wondering if Ford ever put the manual transfer case shifter on the FX4?

I really like the FX4 and it's interior. I have been checking autotrader and ebay but have not seen any manual transfer case FX4s. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
hmm... i really don't think that is an option for FX4. All the ones I have seen have the full "flow through" console, leaving no room for a floor shifter. You can get an XLT with the "bench" and have them remove the center jump seat for a center console. I am working on doing that myself right now. Everything offered on the FX4, you can get on the XLT except for the FX4 stickers and th guage display (but you can purchase that as an aftermarket mod).

Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
E.S.O.F. (electronic shift on the fly) is standard equipment on 04-up F-150 FX4's. If you want a manual 4x4, you have to get an xlt or lower.

Just so you know, all 4x4 150's have auto lock hubs and the IWE system to lock/unlock the hubs. The only difference between a manual 4x and an esof 4x4 is one has a stick to engage 4wd and the other has a switch.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I prefer the manual. Manual shift linkage is just holding up much better IMO. Its tried and true, vs. the electronic shifter who are having problems actually engaging their 4wd. I hear about too many problems with the ESOF and it comes down to personal preference. I will keep the manual shifter any day (and yes, the manual shifter is still a "shift on the fly" mechanism, meaning you can engage 4hi as long as traveling at a speed LESS then 55MPH, although I would never try that ) but you will still have the damn vacuum auto locking hubs...

Last edited by MercedesTech; 01-25-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
hmm... i really don't think that is an option for FX4. All the ones I have seen have the full "flow through" console, leaving no room for a floor shifter. You can get an XLT with the "bench" and have them remove the center jump seat for a center console. I am working on doing that myself right now. Everything offered on the FX4, you can get on the XLT except for the FX4 stickers and th guage display (but you can purchase that as an aftermarket mod).
the flow through is an option i think. i almost bought an FX4 that only had a bench seat, but i held out until i found one with the flow through.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
^^^ good to know.... and I stand corrected :o

Old 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Besides the colored shock boots what are the major differences between xlts and FX4s? Too bad I cant get the flow through console and the manual transfer case shifter.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:30 PM
You can get the center console tho ! There is no major difference... its atrim package. you get different stickers and different guage face and some other little "trim" type mods. Nothing all that nice. You can order the extra skid plates and everything else on your XLT ... IMO the FX4 is a big price for a sticker... that I would of taken off anyway (hate stickers ! !)

You can order an XLT with the 5.4 liter, 3.73 LS rear end, skid plate protection, bench seat with center console, and every other little option you may want. Then, like I said, if you really want the FX4 guage overlay (which does look REALLY nice IMO) you can buy it "aftermarket" and put it on.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 PM
You can get the center console tho ! There is no major difference... its atrim package. you get different stickers and different guage face and some other little "trim" type mods. Nothing all that nice. You can order the extra skid plates and everything else on your XLT ... IMO the FX4 is a big price for a sticker... that I would of taken off anyway (hate stickers ! !)

You can order an XLT with the 5.4 liter, 3.73 LS rear end, skid plate protection, bench seat with center console, and every other little option you may want. Then, like I said, if you really want the FX4 guage overlay (which does look REALLY nice IMO) you can buy it "aftermarket" and put it on.

I was gonna pick one up used. I think if I find the right XLT (5.4, limited slip, manual transfer case shifter) I'll spring for it. I really like the whole FX4 interior though, that'd be the main selling point for me. But thanks again.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Suspended
Uhhhh...you have a 4x4 sticker in your sig...Is then "hate" an over used word? Or are you planning a hateful removeal of sticker party?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Not to mention a different grill & surround, painted bumpers, the floor shifter, different wheels & tires, and I believe different color options. That is quite a bit of difference if you like the FX4 items.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by GoIn2Shock
I was gonna pick one up used. I think if I find the right XLT (5.4, limited slip, manual transfer case shifter) I'll spring for it. I really like the whole FX4 interior though, that'd be the main selling point for me. But thanks again.
You might not have to find one used to get a good price.. A lot of the 07's and possibly 06's should have a lot of rebates on them now.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 PM
whats the lowest price new from dealer do you think?.. i remember them being like a 36,000 dollar truck.. havnt looked since i got mine back in 06

Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 PM
just get a king ranch

Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by TonkaTruck33
just get a king ranch
That'd be nice but quite a bit outta my price range. I'm just researching now, I really have yet to start saving for a truck.

Quick Reply: A question about FX4s