2004 - 2008 F-150

Update: rebuilt transmisson

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008 | 07:22 PM
|
Update: rebuilt transmisson

Hey guys...if you remember my previous thread i blew my transmisson when i went mudding. Took it down to a transmission shop and the guy re-built the tranny and put a whole new shift kit in it. He says the new shift will really improve the transmission and last much longer. He is really against me putting the edge back in. Should i? i really want to but not sure if i should?? thanks

Old 02-15-2008 | 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Devin4X4
Hey guys...if you remember my previous thread i blew my transmisson when i went mudding. Took it down to a transmission shop and the guy re-built the tranny and put a whole new shift kit in it. He says the new shift will really improve the transmission and last much longer. He is really against me putting the edge back in. Should i? i really want to but not sure if i should?? thanks

If you already have a shift kit, then why would it hurt to put the edge in??

How much was the tranny to rebuild??

Old 02-15-2008 | 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Devin4X4
I would put the Edge back in but don't do anything with the custom trans tuning part of it. Granted there is some amount of tranny tuning with just running the truck on lvl2, but as long as you don't change shift points or anything like that I would think that you would be fine.

Otherwise get some custome tunes and for the motor only with no tranny tuning to them at all.

Why doesn't he want you to run a tune?

Old 02-15-2008 | 08:08 PM
|
He was telling me the shift kit mechaniclly does all the work...the edge does electronically.
The rebuild was 1500 cash..got a good deal

Old 02-15-2008 | 08:54 PM
Did he provide you with a warranty with the rebuilt transmission? Did he say that he would not honor this warranty if you reconnected the Edge Evo?

What is this shift kit that your mechanic installed on your rebuilt transmission? What is it supposed to do?

This is the exact reason why I firmly believe that the Edge and all other programmers are getting a bad wrap when it comes to transmission failures. The programming from the factory provides for a soft, smooth, comfortable gear change because its the perception of the general public that this is good for the transmission. This, in fact, shortens the life of an automatic transmission. Firm, sharp shifts reduce the wear on the friction pads thus increasing the life of a transmission. When set for performance, the Edge will actually extend the life of a transmission under normal operating conditions.

I've had my Edge plugged in and running now for over 40K miles without the slightest hint of malfunction in either the transmission or engine.

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:06 PM
Suspended
I'd find out which shift kit he used. Personally, I've seen too many Edge problems and experienced them myself as well to use the programmer again. I'd get a custom tuned Xcal2, who you go with is going to be a personal choice. I recommend www.VMPTuning.com, just as many with recommend TP.

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'd find out which shift kit he used. Personally, I've seen too many Edge problems and experienced them myself as well to use the programmer again. I'd get a custom tuned Xcal2, who you go with is going to be a personal choice. I recommend www.VMPTuning.com, just as many with recommend TP.

x2 on all counts.

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:46 AM
we know thump is getting a kickback from vmp

Old 02-16-2008 | 03:08 AM
Truck of the Month
We know it ain't from Edge. Most edge problems are user error. That says a lot about the people who have edge issues.

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:58 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by etrevino103186
we know thump is getting a kickback from vmp
I wish.

Old 02-16-2008 | 12:36 PM
You all probably remember my thread about my transmission going out too. Mine got rebuilt and I picked it up yesterday. I have no intention of putting the Edge back on it and I am getting rid of it. Going with custom tunes from VMP!

Old 02-16-2008 | 12:42 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Stealth
We know it ain't from Edge. Most edge problems are user error. That says a lot about the people who have edge issues.
Hardly Stealth. I've posted about my Edge problems tons of times, custom tune or "stock" tune on the Edge, it SUCKED !! I haven't seen many transmissions fail because of a custom tuned Xcal2 ...

Old 02-16-2008 | 01:18 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Hardly Stealth. I've posted about my Edge problems tons of times, custom tune or "stock" tune on the Edge, it SUCKED !! I haven't seen many transmissions fail because of a custom tuned Xcal2 ...
And I the edge.

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Stealth
And I the edge.
mine did. 1st gear stopped working (800 miles on the tranny). took the edge off and reloaded factory tune, what do ya know the tranny works perfectly.

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:47 PM
Truck of the Month
How many times did you update?

Quick Reply: Update: rebuilt transmisson