2004 - 2008 F-150

Trip to Colorado and a Few Issues **long**

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:14 AM
|
Trip to Colorado and a Few Issues **long**

I'm going to share a recent experience with everyone. I just took a trip to Colorado to go snowboarding at Copper Mountain with some of my family. Overall it was a really good trip. Some of the issues that came up I wanted to share so if someone else is in the same shoes as me maybe it will help them?? lol

So last Wednesday I made a trip into town to run a few errands, everything starts out really good. I've had my lift on for 2-3 weeks already. I decided for the trip to put my stock 17" wheels and tires back on for better fuel economy / smoother ride / less noise.

Issue #1. The first issue I had is that after the lift has been installed, the stock wheels and tires rub when trying to turn. The outer tie rod ends would rub against the inside lip of the wheel. So my turning ability was greatly limited. The pro comp lift has you rotate the outer tie rod end to the top of the spindle for less of an angle. Not a huge issue - just have to watch how you turn.

Issue #2. Second issue, after running a few errands, I return home, pack up the truck with my gear, and leave to go pick up my uncle. A 1/2 mile down the road, I start getting a really bad grinding noise up front that sort've goes away when put in 4x4. So I call the dealer, they said bring it right out they would get to it right away. I pick up my uncle and cousin, head out to the dealer, 1 1/2 hours later they had both front hubs replaced. Both of them had cracked and were leaking vacuum which was causing them to try to engauge. So after a 2 hour delay, we are finally on the road!

Issue #3. The next morning early we woke up to 2-3 inches of new snow on the ground. Started heading up to Copper mountain and throw it in 4x4. There is now a vibration/griding type of noise that occurs!!! I was afraid of breaking something so I used it really gently. Got it looked at when back home. Turns out to be the front driveshaft causing the condition. So I followed fabtech's instructions and had the front driveshaft keyed, put in phase, and rebalanced. Now the vibration and noise is gone and 4x4 is good to go!! So for anyone with the procomp lift kit - I highly recommend getting the front driveshaft fixed. It is not a good feeling / sound when it is acting up.

Other than that, it was an awesome trip. Boarded for 2 days with nice weather. Fought a really really bad headwind the whole way back to Nebraska. Averaged about 15.5 mpg on the way home.

Sorry this post is so long - hope it may help someone else out someday.

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:46 AM
Suspended
I wanna see pics with the lift and stock tires. Sounds like a good time you just had a lot of bad luck. Good to hear that the dealer helped you out so quick

Old 02-20-2008 | 09:48 AM
That is precisely why I would never lift a new truck!......

Old 02-20-2008 | 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
That is precisely why I would never lift a new truck!......
Mine only has 3000 miles on it and the lift goes on in a few weeks. I say do what you like and do it quick, you never know what tomorrow may bring...or take away from you.

OP, glad to hear you got to get in on some of the snow here

Last edited by duece212; 02-20-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2008 | 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by JD790
I'm going to share a recent experience with everyone. I just took a trip to Colorado to go snowboarding at Copper Mountain with some of my family. Overall it was a really good trip. Some of the issues that came up I wanted to share so if someone else is in the same shoes as me maybe it will help them?? lol

So last Wednesday I made a trip into town to run a few errands, everything starts out really good. I've had my lift on for 2-3 weeks already. I decided for the trip to put my stock 17" wheels and tires back on for better fuel economy / smoother ride / less noise.

Issue #1. The first issue I had is that after the lift has been installed, the stock wheels and tires rub when trying to turn. The outer tie rod ends would rub against the inside lip of the wheel. So my turning ability was greatly limited. The pro comp lift has you rotate the outer tie rod end to the top of the spindle for less of an angle. Not a huge issue - just have to watch how you turn.

Issue #2. Second issue, after running a few errands, I return home, pack up the truck with my gear, and leave to go pick up my uncle. A 1/2 mile down the road, I start getting a really bad grinding noise up front that sort've goes away when put in 4x4. So I call the dealer, they said bring it right out they would get to it right away. I pick up my uncle and cousin, head out to the dealer, 1 1/2 hours later they had both front hubs replaced. Both of them had cracked and were leaking vacuum which was causing them to try to engauge. So after a 2 hour delay, we are finally on the road!

Issue #3. The next morning early we woke up to 2-3 inches of new snow on the ground. Started heading up to Copper mountain and throw it in 4x4. There is now a vibration/griding type of noise that occurs!!! I was afraid of breaking something so I used it really gently. Got it looked at when back home. Turns out to be the front driveshaft causing the condition. So I followed fabtech's instructions and had the front driveshaft keyed, put in phase, and rebalanced. Now the vibration and noise is gone and 4x4 is good to go!! So for anyone with the procomp lift kit - I highly recommend getting the front driveshaft fixed. It is not a good feeling / sound when it is acting up.

Other than that, it was an awesome trip. Boarded for 2 days with nice weather. Fought a really really bad headwind the whole way back to Nebraska. Averaged about 15.5 mpg on the way home.

Sorry this post is so long - hope it may help someone else out someday.

well im pretty sure your procomp kit says stock wheel backspacing is not enough, thats why you rubbed, and being a 6" lift im pretty sure it told you to cut the master spline and rebalance the front driveshaft...

did you install the lift? either way whoever installed it probably messed up the IWE's otherwise no liftkit can cause both IWE's to go out... btw if it isnt installation related, the problem might come back again, it could be a vacuum system problem

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:48 AM
|
Originally Posted by mengela
well im pretty sure your procomp kit says stock wheel backspacing is not enough, thats why you rubbed, and being a 6" lift im pretty sure it told you to cut the master spline and rebalance the front driveshaft...

did you install the lift? either way whoever installed it probably messed up the IWE's otherwise no liftkit can cause both IWE's to go out... btw if it isnt installation related, the problem might come back again, it could be a vacuum system problem
Actually the pro-comp instructions say nothing about fixing the front driveshaft. I even looked up their directions on their webpage. The only reason I knew to do the front driveshaft is from this website and reading the fabtech's instructions.

I did install the lift myself. It is totally possible that I could've messed up the hubs. I followed the instructions to a T including torque specs and everything. I had been driving it for 3 weeks before my trip so you would think they wouldn't acted up before that but anything is possible. I know they tested the IWE solenoid but my '07 already has the updated solenoid and it was working perfectly when they tested it. Still working perfectly good since last week when they replaced the hubs. So far so good!

Old 02-20-2008 | 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by duece212
Mine only has 3000 miles on it and the lift goes on in a few weeks. I say do what you like and do it quick, you never know what tomorrow may bring...or take away from you.

OP, glad to hear you got to get in on some of the snow here
The only thing that will be taken away from you is factory warranty coverage!......

Old 02-20-2008 | 02:09 PM
|
The only thing that will be taken away from you is factory warranty coverage!......
Yes and No. It ultimately depends on the dealer. Some dealers don't care about modifications and will only decline warranty if they can prove that the modifications caused the failure. But yes, there is definetly a chance for being declined. I don't see how they could decline an interior issue like with the climate control because of a lift kit or something else that isn't related to suspension or whatever.....but anything is possible I suppose.

Old 02-20-2008 | 03:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

First hand proof....Fabtech>Procomp.

Old 02-20-2008 | 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
First hand proof....Fabtech>Procomp.
Picture proof...ProComp> Fabtech

Old 02-20-2008 | 04:53 PM
Won't be a complete warranty void, and even that will depend on the dealership. There is a reason why I take my vehicles into the dealer for oil changes, small upgrades, etc, to create a good relationship.

I'm also not afraid to push the issue if a dealer declines service for a warranty issue when its not caused by the modifications.

Its definately taking a chance though, I give you that. I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying my vehicle as I see fit though. Others are more conservative than I. (read that as smarter if you wish)

Old 02-20-2008 | 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Yamaha YZ 250

Thats the cheap-o shocks from Fabtech. the DL's are much, much stronger. The Pro-Crap basic lift gives you a frickin spacer ! Aluminum rear lift blocks, has you stack your rear blocks, and has no front driveshaft directions. Pro0Comp has a lower hanging front cross member, which looks a whole lot less beefy then the Fabtech high clearenece ones. So not only will you smack it into things, but it will break on ya !

If you ask me, Fabtech is much better in quality, and for what, a $100 more?

Either kit is the cheaper version of good kits. If you really want quality, go with Camburg, or go with CST, or better yet, go custom.

(and I am really not trying to **** off all you pro-comp owners. If its a street queen, then you have the right lift. If not, there are some small things you can do to improve your off-road chances.)

* all my opinion
** no matter what kit you run, something will break. Its part of the "fun" of off-roading !

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Yamaha YZ 250

I would surely take those fabtech shocks over any pro-comp spacer, not to mention the stacked blocks in the rear.

Weren't you the one who said you get max torque from straight pipes?

Quick Reply: Trip to Colorado and a Few Issues **long**