Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double post

Last edited by 07FX4Chick; 05-04-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: stupid double post
Old 05-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Personally, I would scuff up those SS tips and paint them with some black High temp spray. That's what I did for mine, and it looks nice. Especially since you're goin for a red and black theme it seems.. (I don't see any chrome cept your tips now) Anywho, my tips are holding up pretty well, you shouldn't have to worry bout chipping, since you're going straight out the back.

Just scuff them up with some 300-800 grit sandpaper, whatever you have around. Clean them pretty well. And spray away, multiple thin coats. Just get some shop paper to mask off your bumper. The spray doesn't require priming, and doesn't have a recoat window, you can cean and reapply over existing paint anytime. Personally I bought Krylon black BBQ high temp spray, and it's resistant up to 1200f, which is more than good enough.

All in all, I say paint them black, no need to settle for chrome since you know you originally wanted them black.

You might also want to look into using some VHT Nightshades for your taillights, I've never been a fan of red on red, and the black tinted tails would look sweet. Its an easy mod.

If I were you, I'd take the detailing an extra step farther and paint your Ford and F-150 emblems black with some satin black Krylon Fusion, throw some dark shadow grey/flat black overlays for the oval, dark shadow grey inlays for the emblems, and get a new FX4 decal in flat black with dark shadow grey outline. You can buy all the decals online at patriotdecals.com and I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Anywho, it's your truck, but for an additional $50 that's what I would do.

Last edited by zeruin; 05-04-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by zeruin
Personally, I would scuff up those SS tips and paint them with some black High temp spray. That's what I did for mine, and it looks nice. Especially since you're goin for a red and black theme it seems.. (I don't see any chrome cept your tips now) Anywho, my tips are holding up pretty well, you shouldn't have to worry bout chipping, since you're going straight out the back.

Just scuff them up with some 300-800 grit sandpaper, whatever you have around. Clean them pretty well. And spray away, multiple thin coats. Just get some shop paper to mask off your bumper. The spray doesn't require priming, and doesn't have a recoat window, you can cean and reapply over existing paint anytime. Personally I bought Krylon black BBQ high temp spray, and it's resistant up to 1200f, which is more than good enough.

All in all, I say paint them black, no need to settle for chrome since you know you originally wanted them black.

You might also want to look into using some VHT Nightshades for your taillights, I've never been a fan of red on red, and the black tinted tails would look sweet. Its an easy mod.

If I were you, I'd take the detailing an extra step farther and paint your Ford and F-150 emblems black with some satin black Krylon Fusion, throw some dark shadow grey/flat black overlays for the oval, dark shadow grey inlays for the emblems, and get a new FX4 decal in flat black with dark shadow grey outline. You can buy all the decals online at patriotdecals.com and I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Anywho, it's your truck, but for an additional $50 that's what I would do.
I already have new FX4 decals ordered - in black..... except the "OFFROAD" will not be there, it will say "Sexy Edition". And the badges I am already working on getting them in black, with red inlays. As for the FORD emblems on the front and rear, I have a few ideas on what I am going to do with them. Also, I ordered a RECON smoked LED 3rd brake light.

I just don't know about "spraying" the tips though. Not sure exactly what I am going to do yet. There are some options I am looking at right now.

Thanks for the 'options' though... something to think about.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn -- those black chrome tips would have looked sweet! Too bad they didn't fit......

Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks really good......

Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, I wish I could get my wife as interested in the truck as you are.

Truck looks amazing as usual

Old 05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 07FX4Chick
Yes, it is the 16614 kit. Thanks for the compliments everyone!!
I am glad that you like your exhaust on the truck. It looks great on your truck. We appreciate your loyalty to Magnaflow

Old 05-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I just don't know about "spraying" the tips though. Not sure exactly what I am going to do yet. There are some options I am looking at right now.

Thanks for the 'options' though... something to think about.
You could always have them powder coated. It would be stupid cheap to do. Normally I would charge about $30.00 to Powder coat them. Your choice, of gloss black, satin or flat. Too bad there welded on already. PC wouldn't chip or burn either.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
I am glad that you like your exhaust on the truck. It looks great on your truck. We appreciate your loyalty to Magnaflow
Thanks! I love the sound (and added HP) of it so much that I am going to be installing a dual (out the back kit) on the 2002 Ford F150 4x4 very soon! It was just lifted it and got new (bigger) tires/wheels, so I KNOW it will compliment the truck, very well!

(I just wish y'all sold the Black Chrome tips!!!... Something to think about? )

Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Just turn those clamps upside down and it'd be perfect.
lol.. thats the first thing i noticed!! but it still looks good

Old 05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor
[QUOTE=07FX4Chick;3193439]I finally got it installed, along with the K&N Air filter system. I have so much more HP, now that the truck can 'breath'!

I have the Black Chromed tips, but they did not fit. Actually, I like these stainless steel Magnaflow tips better. They look "tougher". So, I am going to leave these on. I honestly don't think it "kills" my 'black and red' theme.

What do y'all think?

I really like the way your truck looks

Old 05-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by BLACKOUT-FX4
lol.. thats the first thing i noticed!! but it still looks good

It looks like the clamps are those that come spot welded to the tips like all the ones I've installed. I've tried to break the spot welds before and basically destroyed the clamp and never did get them off. To just rotate the tips 180 degrees would look stupid as the tips are slightly back slashed.

I think those stainless (or chromes) look good. Love the truck! Red is my favorite. If only the 2008 King Ranch was available in red. Oh well, I'll get red in 2009!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks!

Here is a picture of them. They are thinner than the Magnaflow's. The inside diameter was only 2 3/8"..... that won't work on a 2 1/2" pipe. I got scammed by eBay again!
I have the same 16614 catbacks and I bought those junk TRQ tips a few months back off ebay. Never installed because I thought they are a real POS ! Made in China and so thin, you can crush them in your hand. I too have kept the Magnaflow ones. Please post back if you find any 18-22 inch BLACK rolled tips, would love to get the polished stainless ones off but like the look of rolled tips. I thought they were 2.5" though. I'll check the box. Was going to put em in classifieds for cheap, they are still new in the box too.

Truck looks good... now I bet it sounds good !

Old 05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
I just bought my Magnaflow exhaust cat back system 16614. Cant wait for it to get here.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Looks good now tint those tail lights

Quick Reply: Pics of new Magnaflow Exhaust