2004 - 2008 F-150

Tapping Into Constant 12 Volt

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping Into Constant 12 Volt

Im curious about a few things. One i want to know if i tap into my cigarette lighter will my cigarette lighter still work? Also how would i go about tapping into a wire? And what color is the ignition wiring to tap into? is that very dangerous? also if i tap into the ignition wire what will give it juice? having it in the on position or when its started? Im sorry for so many questions. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by eplstx
Im curious about a few things. One i want to know if i tap into my cigarette lighter will my cigarette lighter still work? Also how would i go about tapping into a wire? And what color is the ignition wiring to tap into? is that very dangerous? also if i tap into the ignition wire what will give it juice? having it in the on position or when its started? Im sorry for so many questions. Thanks for reading.

Im curious about a few things. One i want to know if i tap into my cigarette lighter will my cigarette lighter still work?

yes you can but I would not recommend it.

Also how would i go about tapping into a wire?

striping back the insulation about 3/4in wrapping the wire your adding around it and soldering it would be best.

And what color is the ignition wiring to tap into?
Depends on what year your truck is....06-08 would be dk.blue/lt.green....here is a good site to check for what you have http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.html

is that very dangerous? also if i tap into the ignition wire what will give it juice? having it in the on position or when its started?
Not dangerous if you know what you are doing....it will be hot when the key is in the ON or RUN position.

What are you trying to add?

If if is anything thats pulls some juice you are going to want to run a new line right from the battery and fuse it, otherwise you will be overloading the ignition wire and blowing your ignition fuse.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Here are the wires/colors in the steering column and what they do:
Battery--LIGHT GREEN/VIOLET--hot all the time
Ignition--BLUE/GREEN--hot only when key is on

Tapping into your cigarette lighter will still allow it to work, but dont pull too much current through it-its not designed for it. As for tapping into the wire, you can strip the wire, use a connector or a T-tap.

Quick Reply: Tapping Into Constant 12 Volt