2004 - 2008 F-150

How do I remove the front axles from my 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 05:21 PM
|
How do I remove the front axles from my 4x4?

What tools do I need? I tried to do my ball joints this weekend couldn't finish the job since the axles were in the way.

Old 05-06-2008 | 08:25 PM
Do you really need to remove it? I'm trying to remember from my lift install... but it seemed like you wouldn't have to totally remove it. You'll have to remove the dust cap (I did this with a pair of pliers), then there is an axle nut (pretty sure it required a 1/2" socket), then you pop loose the tie rod and upper and lower ball joints tapping on the knuckle with a hammer (nuts still on, just at the bottom of the threads). Remove the upper nut, remove the lower nut, remove the knuckle... the axle should slide right out. After this, is there not enough play to move the axle to the right or left? If not... a 12mm 12-point socket is needed to remove the bolts that mount the axle to the front differential (index mark the flanges of the axle and differential so you install it in the same position).

Old 05-07-2008 | 05:33 PM
|
Not sure what the parts are called but the axle and whatever else is connected to it is in the way. There's no room to pull out the ball joint. I removed all the other parts connected to the lower arm like the shocks, tie-rod, and the frame.

Last edited by goodwood; 05-07-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2008 | 09:00 PM
Well your knuckle is the piece that is connected to the upper and lower ball joints, and also the tie-rod connects to it. The outboard end of your axle goes through the middle of it. If you have everything removed, including the dust cap and axle nut. All you need to do is use a 12mm, 12-point socket and remove the bolts around the flange of the halfshaft to the differential. May be a good idea to go to a lift manufacturer's website (Rancho, Rize, RCD, Fabtech) and download their installation instructions for a suspension lift on our trucks. I downloaded all 4 of them before deciding on my lift. The first section of all of them is the breakdown of the front end, so you'll have some pictures and a good explaination of how to do it.

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:39 PM
|
Thank you. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the front axles from my 4x4?