2004 - 2008 F-150

How to ship wheels/tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008 | 01:12 AM
|
Question How to ship wheels/tires?

Okay, I'm looking to ship a buyer some wheels and tires. I suppose standard ground shipping through UPS or FedEx is the way to go, but how do I go about preparing the wheels/tires to ship? They are already mounted and full of air. I've heard people simply put a circular piece of cardboard and bubble wrap protecting the wheel, and shrink-wrapping the tire. From what I've seen, it looks good enough, but should I look into buying boxes instead? A wheel/tire is kinda bulky for a box dontcha think? Should I deflate some or all of the air in the tires before I ship them, if so, will they stay mounted?

How much do you guys figure shipping should cost? I'm assuming around $150 for the USA, if I use my own packaging and ship the 4 wheel/tire combo individually. Does this sound about right?

Anywho, I appreciate the help, and would like any additional advice!

Old 05-10-2008 | 02:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I shipped 4 31x12.5x15 tires (no rims) using Fed-Ex for about $125.

that was from Washington to Texas.

we just ran enough tape so the shipping label would stick, and then away they went. picture what that airport luggage tag looks like.

I think you're idea of cardboard on the rim and shrink wrap is the best idea. you can buy moving cellophane from U-Haul for about $10. I think that would be the ideal stuff for you to wrap the tire so the rim doesn't get screwed up.

Old 05-10-2008 | 03:13 AM
I can tell you that my rims and tires came stacked on a pallet and bubble wrapped then shrink wrapped.... just stack the 4 on top of one another with a piece of cardboard in between then wrap...... this is how mine CAME from the distributor

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:38 AM
I did it with the card board on the face and back of the rim and then taped like crazy method too.

I shipped mine as a four part package though so they could be handled individually. I used UPS and it cost slightly over $150 if I remember right. Each wheel/tire weighed 83 Lbs on factory 20" wheels with 295/50/20 tires mounted.

It's a bitch but if you're willing to ship they'll sell quick.

Quick Reply: How to ship wheels/tires?