2004 - 2008 F-150

LED 3rd Brake Light and Cruise not compatible???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED 3rd Brake Light and Cruise not compatible???

I installed a LED 3rd brake light and my cruise control stopped working...is this normal???

The lights on the controls still light up and my audio and climate control steering controls still work.

PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't affect each other. Check your fuses.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by rednoved
Shouldn't affect each other. Check your fuses.
I am going to shortly, does the CC have a dedicated fuse?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jaho1979
I am going to shortly, does the CC have a dedicated fuse?
To be honest with you, im not sure. I know some cars do. I havent looked at the fuse panel on my truck yet. I've only had it a month, so I haven't had any major issues yet. I switched my 3rd light brake light to LEDs when I got the Hella Tails and 3rd brake light. I didnt have any issues with my cruise control.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 AM
I had that problem with my cruise control when I switched to led bulbs. You're not alone. Add a load balancer (aka resistor) to increase the electrical load and trick your truck into thinking it has a regular incandescent brake light.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by rednoved
I switched my 3rd light brake light to LEDs when I got the Hella Tails and 3rd brake light. I didnt have any issues with my cruise control.
Your Hella's prob. have a built-in resistor, el cheapo's like I bought did not, and I had the same problem the O.P has.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by fireman137
Your Hella's prob. have a built-in resistor, el cheapo's like I bought did not, and I had the same problem the O.P has.
Come to think of it, I dont know that Ive actually used my cruise control since I put the lights on. My commutes to work are normally heavy traffic. Im gonna try to remember to test my CC today after I get off. Yall have me nervous now.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I had that problem with my cruise control when I switched to led bulbs. You're not alone. Add a load balancer (aka resistor) to increase the electrical load and trick your truck into thinking it has a regular incandescent brake light.
Pardon my ignorance, but what does this involve? And where do I add it?

(I'm not well versed in LEDs at all)

Here is what I have on my truck. LED tailights/brake lights, new LED flasher, and LED third brake light.

I added the rear bulbs and flasher first, and everything still worked fine. Once I added the 3rd brake light, no more cruise.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:46 PM
The problem is that your truck thinks the brakes are on and won't let the cruise engage.

I added a 100ohm resistor to my LED 3rd and everything was fixed.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Red4
The problem is that your truck thinks the brakes are on and won't let the cruise engage.

I added a 100ohm resistor to my LED 3rd and everything was fixed.
Thanks for the response...now how do I do that?? I am not familiar with LED lighting, so I'm not sure what that means.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:46 AM
Basically you need to add a resistor to simulate the load of normal bulbs, thus tricking the flasher into thinking everything is okay. Buy yourself a resistor kit - ebay, Auto Lumination, V-Leds, etc. Splice one side into the high circuit of the turn signal line (or the brake line in the 3rd light) and the other side to ground. Maybe this will help: diagram from Super Lumination

Old 05-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Basically you need to add a resistor to simulate the load of normal bulbs, thus tricking the flasher into thinking everything is okay. Buy yourself a resistor kit - ebay, Auto Lumination, V-Leds, etc. Splice one side into the high circuit of the turn signal line (or the brake line in the 3rd light) and the other side to ground. Maybe this will help: diagram from Super Lumination
Thanks a ton for the help, I just ordered a kit from autolumination.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Well, I just replaced my LED flasher with the regular one and add two 3ohm resistors to the front turns. I noticed the third brake is still on dim with headlights. I also took a test drive to check the cruise with no luck. Back to square one with the cruise. I really don't mind the dim brake light either. I might now put the regular third brake in and try that. Come to think of it I don't remember if the cruise worked when I bought it 'till I put the Recon on (my first mod).

Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by j2h1
Well, I just replaced my LED flasher with the regular one and add two 3ohm resistors to the front turns. I noticed the third brake is still on dim with headlights. I also took a test drive to check the cruise with no luck. Back to square one with the cruise. I really don't mind the dim brake light either. I might now put the regular third brake in and try that. Come to think of it I don't remember if the cruise worked when I bought it 'till I put the Recon on (my first mod).
You should try the resistors on the rear turns, not the front. The high circuit for the rear (what ties in with your third brake light) is separate than the high circuit for the front turns. And the resistors need to be on the high circuit, not the low circuit.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 PM
good point, never thought of that.

Quick Reply: LED 3rd Brake Light and Cruise not compatible???