2004 - 2008 F-150

she is wrecked.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008 | 01:20 PM
Yep, I don't think these trucks stop good at all. In my trucks, (04 & 07) which are both std cabs, the brakes are mush even cold. Hot?? OMG!

It's not the disc size or the brake pads, it is the clamping power of the calipers that is the problem on these trucks. They need some good 4 piston or even 6 piston for the front and some 4 pistons for the back. There are some brake kits for this out there, but the pricing is outrageous.

Sorry to hear about your truck, but it looks very fixable. And it sounds like the airbags didn't go off, as that can get expensive. The worst part would be if there was a police report done, it will end up on CarFax as an accident and will lower your resale value. Oh, well....just be happy you were not injured.

Old 05-31-2008 | 02:51 PM
glc
There's no resale value on a truck now anyway, that's not really a consideration.

Old 05-31-2008 | 02:59 PM
Suspended
That sucks !!

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:09 PM
Truck of the Month
Glas you're OK, and good luck getting her all fixed up.

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by scott1981
I dont know, my 4x4, supercab with 20's & 33's stops fast! Little Hondas do emergency stops infront of me and as long as I get on the brakes about the same time I slow at very close to the same pace. My Dakota brakes sucked, even though they were also 4 wheel disk, in comparison to my 150's. I do have new pads but they are just the regular semi-metallic OEM style pad
Those pads are the best... getting fancy isn't always the most viable option if you want to stop fast all the time.

FYI my Dak has discs/drums... and it stops a heck of a lot better than the 2001 version with the discs/discs.

I did notice that my brakes cool a lot faster than ceramics... giving me more initial bite... which is what you want for stopping at stop signs and traffic lights.

I might, for kicks, get a set of ceramics again and throw them on... but I don't really feel like wasting cash to find out they suck again. Which from the vehicles I've tried ceramics on, they sucked. Not to mention I don't want it to affect my stopping abilities.

Not to mention they ate up the rotors like crap... ceramics, and even those "greenstuff" pads really eat up rotors.

I don't know... sometimes sticking with OEM is sometimes the best choice, dust or no dust.

Quick Reply: she is wrecked.