2004 - 2008 F-150

she is wrecked.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008 | 01:17 AM
|
Thumbs down she is wrecked.

iwas on my way to a friends house when low and behold the driver in front of me stopped way to quickley for me to stop.took about an hour to pull the bumper out to be able to driver her home. took out the bumper,upper cover,condensor,tranny cooler,core support,and all the pieces right behind the bumper. broke both driving light brackets. also took out the grill and messed up the hood. got a nice seatbelt memory accross my belly to boot. will have to get some pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Old 05-31-2008 | 01:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

ouch, sorry to hear...what did you nail?

Old 05-31-2008 | 02:39 AM
WOW... That sucks man... Glad to hear that you are ok though.

Old 05-31-2008 | 07:02 AM
Glad to hear you're alright. Wrecking your truck really sucks man, I should know I just got mine back after almost 3 months in the shop following my wreck. Good luck with the repairs and getting your truck back on the road. Almost sounds as if you're going to be doing the work yourself, if so you should have alot better luck then my story.

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:56 AM
|
Thumbs down

i hit the back end of a 2006 chevy truck. there truck is pretty well damaged as well. buckled both rear panels. destroyed the tailgate and bumper. kinda hard to tell and get good pics with a camera phone. but there is a lot of bent frame and misc pieces underneath everything. and as for the body shop. my buddy i grew up with has his own shop. he is good at it as well. im sure we can get her back on the road and looking good.

Last edited by ONE04FX4; 05-31-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2008 | 10:05 AM
Your o.k. so that's all that matters. It does suck though, you got a sweet truck!

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:18 AM
I can't believe even with those performance rotors and pads you put on still didn't help you avoid this.

Something tells me you were tailgating the guy in the Chevy.

Also, with those pads, you got medium hot friction capability. Meaning if you were doing a lot of stop and go, the bite on those pads will not be great.

But you probably bought them because they had the lowest dust rating.

However, glad you are ok.

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:40 AM
Welcome to the club

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:42 AM
Old 05-31-2008 | 10:54 AM
Suspended
Sorry to see that man, what est speed do you think the collision happened at?

Old 05-31-2008 | 11:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your truck and glad to hear your OK. Hopefully you've learned one of two lessons: 1) either don't drive so close to the person if front of you, or 2) pay closer attention to what is going on in front of you. (my guess is that is was # 1).

Old 05-31-2008 | 11:57 AM
As long as your ok the truck can be fixed or replaced.

Old 05-31-2008 | 12:02 PM
|
the pads were a low dust deal. they slowed me down a bit. but i was following way to close. with the rotors and pads the first initial hit seems a bit slow to stop but they do heat up quickly and make a big difference in stopping. but yes i was in a lot of traffic at the time. she will be put back together. thanks for the kind words.

Old 05-31-2008 | 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
the pads were a low dust deal. they slowed me down a bit. but i was following way to close. with the rotors and pads the first initial hit seems a bit slow to stop but they do heat up quickly and make a big difference in stopping. but yes i was in a lot of traffic at the time. she will be put back together. thanks for the kind words.
Thought so.

I had a set of ceramics with drill/slotted rotors on my previous SUV... after they heated up... that was it... it felt like I was trying to stop a battle cruiser. I did like having no dust though... or very minimal.

But I kind of like the quick stopping power the factory pads give... however, even they get brake fade.

Basically, that is what happened to you... The brakes were a little too hot from the stop and go, and you experienced brake fade (a longer distance in stopping).

Really, there was nothing you could've done except for following further away.

I am really surprised at the brake fade on these F150s, however. And Ford put large rotors and everything on them too... and the fade is worse than my '99 was with a disc/drum setup. I even think Ford commented on how well the brakes are supposed to stop. Well, in my experiences, and yours as well, it is not true. I think the bigger the rotor, the more brake fade you'll get as time goes on because there is more metal to cool off.

I dunno, trade offs with everything with physics.

Old 05-31-2008 | 01:00 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Thought so.

I had a set of ceramics with drill/slotted rotors on my previous SUV... after they heated up... that was it... it felt like I was trying to stop a battle cruiser. I did like having no dust though... or very minimal.

But I kind of like the quick stopping power the factory pads give... however, even they get brake fade.

Basically, that is what happened to you... The brakes were a little too hot from the stop and go, and you experienced brake fade (a longer distance in stopping).

Really, there was nothing you could've done except for following further away.

I am really surprised at the brake fade on these F150s, however. And Ford put large rotors and everything on them too... and the fade is worse than my '99 was with a disc/drum setup. I even think Ford commented on how well the brakes are supposed to stop. Well, in my experiences, and yours as well, it is not true. I think the bigger the rotor, the more brake fade you'll get as time goes on because there is more metal to cool off.

I dunno, trade offs with everything with physics.
I dont know, my 4x4, supercab with 20's & 33's stops fast! Little Hondas do emergency stops infront of me and as long as I get on the brakes about the same time I slow at very close to the same pace. My Dakota brakes sucked, even though they were also 4 wheel disk, in comparison to my 150's. I do have new pads but they are just the regular semi-metallic OEM style pad

Quick Reply: she is wrecked.