2004 - 2008 F-150

acetone for better mpgs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008 | 01:58 PM
|
acetone for better mpgs?

found this article oh the net thought it sounded interesting, hoping someone could probably explain it better

How to Boost Your Gas Mileage with Acetone

By Alice Hill
RealTechNews

Remember the old “I’ve got good news and bad news” way of telling a story, Well, let’t start with the good news. Acetone is a checmical found in paint thinner and when added to gasoline can boost your gas mileage through the roof. You don’t have to add much and the results are amazing. The catch is a risk of flamability if you store it improperly, and if you car has cheap plastic innards, the acetone will eat through everything. However, these are exceprts from a looonnnggggg piece that coveres everything, including a guy who soaked engine parts in pure acetone for months and found that it was safe despite the warnings. Interesting…

How it Works
Acetone (CH3COCH3) is a product that can be purchased inexpensively in most locations around the world, such as in the common hardware, auto parts, or drug store. Added to the fuel tank in tiny amounts, acetone aids in the vaporization of the gasoline or diesel, increasing fuel efficiency, engine longevity, and performance — as well as reducing hydrocarbon emissions.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that “stirs up” the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

Additional Benefits
In addition to increased mileage acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition.

–A tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel can stop the black smoke when the rack is all the way at full throttle. You will notice that the exhaust soot will be greatly reduced and your truck or car runs smoother.

–Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60 percent. In some older cars, the HC readings with acetone in a 1986 GMC went from 440 PPM to 195, as just one example.

How Much to Use
After you first find the best gasoline in your area, then try the acetone amount for your car per ten gallons, and if you are happy with your newfound mileage, you might want to try stopping the use of acetone for a couple of tanks. Watch the drop in mileage. It will amaze you. That reverse technique is one of the biggest eye openers concerning the use of acetone in fuel. In a 10-gallon tank of gasoline, use one to three ounces of pure acetone to obtain excellent mileage improvements.

Ok, Now the Bad News
Acetone is a highly flammable liquid, as is gasoline. Do not expose it near a flame or spark. Acetone should be stored outside, with proper ventilation, not inside your house. Gasoline and/or acetone will dissolve cheap plastics, so be sure the container you store it in will not deteriorate. Read all the precautions on the labels.

Acetone is known to deteriorate cheap plastics and other substances. While the components in a car’s fuel system should be of high quality, and thus immune to any deleterious effects from exposure to acetone, be aware that “ideal” is not always the case in practice.

Read the Complete Article Here

Old 06-10-2008 | 02:10 PM
Truck of the Month
Old 06-10-2008 | 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by nandomart
Acetone is known to deteriorate cheap plastics and other substances. While the components in a car’s fuel system should be of high quality, and thus immune to any deleterious effects from exposure to acetone, be aware that “ideal” is not always the case in practice.
This has been asked MANY times before; use the search feature! About the 8th thread down

Old 06-10-2008 | 02:45 PM
Suspended
not worth it, the extra price of the acetone will negate any possible savings. Also, I wouldnt want to be running any acetone through the motor....

Old 06-10-2008 | 03:01 PM
Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that “stirs up” the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

Additional Benefits
In addition to increased mileage acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition.

–A tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel can stop the black smoke when the rack is all the way at full throttle. You will notice that the exhaust soot will be greatly reduced and your truck or car runs smoother.

–Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60 percent.[/QUOTE]

This has to be the worst article about acetone I have seen. Liquid hyrocarbons have the worst intermolecular interactions, ie. Van Der Waals forces. They are the weakest unlike water (dipole-dipole) where the interactions are very strong. For instance: water has a molecular weight of 18 g/mole and boils at 100 C; propane has a molecular weight of 44 g/mole and boils at below 20 C. Which do you think has greater interactions with itself? Water has a high surface tension (why we use surfactants, like soap), not hydrocarbons. Stupid!

Acetone in diesel...Stupid! Diesels are an adiabatic process (no external energy required for ignition), which can make for some pretty hot temperatures. Basically, you would be thinning down your fuel, and the acetone may cause gas bubbles in the fuel lines...not good.

Soot, emissions, 60%!...Are you joking? Believe me, if just adding acetone to a fuel can could actually do this, it would already be an additive. I feel sorry for anyone who buys into this crap. Where's the real hard data? Send it to me, and I will take it all back.

Old 06-10-2008 | 03:55 PM
On Myth Busters (pretty scientifically) it netted a loss in actual MPGs while costing more to operate.

Old 06-10-2008 | 05:20 PM
I have some magical gas pills. Guaranteed to double your gas milage on any given tank that you use them. Only cost $100 each!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2008 | 06:54 PM
Bleh... if this worked, I'd be all set considering I work in a metal plating plant. (We use acetone in nearly every process.)

Old 06-10-2008 | 08:49 PM
I hear a few injectors just waiting for this party and saying. "give me more and more and I will leave you stranded miles from anywhere"

Old 06-10-2008 | 08:54 PM
No...No No NOOOOOO!!!! Got-damn snake doctors run amuck when the oil prices shoot up!!!

Old 06-10-2008 | 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by LariatRocks
No...No No NOOOOOO!!!! Got-damn snake doctors run amuck when the oil prices shoot up!!!
Yup, the next thing will be a bottle on nail polish remover will give you a 20% gain in fuel mileage. These vehicles don't like many additives in the fuel, that's why they call then gas engines.

Old 06-19-2008 | 02:45 AM
btw- gas pills = moth *****

another bad idea.... lol

Quick Reply: acetone for better mpgs?