2004 - 2008 F-150

Blown Head Gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Sorry, I am. No doubts about it.

But if you look at the Edge's ebrake placement, its close enough to be a clutch for me. I don't think I would've done it if the car didn't have a console shifter. I think that was what messed me up. I think this is like my second car I've ever driven with an automatic that had a console shifter. If it wasn't there, it might not have happened. It's just a reaction that I've got. At least I avoided rearending someone.

Oh and the reason I was looking to downshift was to gain a little engine braking.

engine brake at 70 mph that would be let off the throttle in whatever gear you are in....no need to even think about shifting, you are not in a race car...

when you were driving the auto edge, where you using one or two feet....

all i can say now is WOW

Old 10-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by troberts6874
engine brake at 70 mph that would be let off the throttle in whatever gear you are in....no need to even think about shifting, you are not in a race car...

when you were driving the auto edge, where you using one or two feet....

all i can say now is WOW
Engine braking in the new F150 v6 with 5 speeds don't start until to 2000 rpm band. So leaving it in 5th doing roughly 2000 rpms, is not going to do anything for me. Upshifting to 4th will yield me like 2600 rpms, perfect range for engine braking.

Yet on my Dakota for example, it will engine brake to 1200 rpms. So I can leave that truck in 5th and it will be like slamming on my brakes when I let off the throttle. Can be quite dangerous to the automatic folks who don't pay attention.

When I was driving the Edge, I used one foot, and kept the other on the floor.

But call me stupid, dumb, what ever... I know, it was really stupid on my part.

At least I fess up to it.

Getting back to the matter at hand, I brought it to my friend's shop and he thinks it could be something on the head itself. Possibly when conditions are right, it will leak. Although even then, he even wasn't sure. However, he's seen it before, and he told me that the engine's block might be slightly warped and when it expands or contracts at a certain temperature, it will leak oil. He told me it does this a lot with cast iron blocks versus aluminum blocks.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't you know engine braking puts excessive wear on your transmion as well as lessens fuel economy?

What's cheaper to replace? Brakes or a drivetrain?

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Stealth
Don't you know engine braking puts excessive wear on your transmion as well as lessens fuel economy?

What's cheaper to replace? Brakes or a drivetrain?
Well, I only do in an emergency in the F150, but on the other truck I do it all the time because I don't need to mess with upshifting. It's almost pointless to do it in the F150 because the engine braking is not that great, but its still there.

What's cheaper to replace? Well, the last time I went to Ford to do my a 4 wheel brake job, with new pads and rotors, and a flush of the system, it cost me about ~$900. A new clutch and flywheel would cost me about ~$1000. So it's about an even situation. However, if I did get a new clutch I'd go for a nice heavy duty clutch that would run me great for probably years to come.

I do notice on the current clutch material, it seems rather weak after it heats up a little bit, especially after doing jackrabbit starts in the city to keep those little buggers in the cars happy. So I might opt in to getting a new clutch soon. But that regearing I did helped out tremendously. For those few thousand miles I drove that thing with those 3.55s, it was horrible, I have no clue why they'd do that to a customer.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine braking in the new F150 v6 with 5 speeds don't start until to 2000 rpm band. So leaving it in 5th doing roughly 2000 rpms, is not going to do anything for me. Upshifting to 4th will yield me like 2600 rpms, perfect range for engine braking.
My F150 has never seen 2500+ rpms -- ever. Why? It doesn't need to.
uhh manual, do I see a discrepency?

Last edited by bjp207; 10-12-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Well, I only do in an emergency in the F150, but on the other truck I do it all the time because I don't need to mess with upshifting. It's almost pointless to do it in the F150 because the engine braking is not that great, but its still there.

What's cheaper to replace? Well, the last time I went to Ford to do my a 4 wheel brake job, with new pads and rotors, and a flush of the system, it cost me about ~$900. A new clutch and flywheel would cost me about ~$1000. So it's about an even situation. However, if I did get a new clutch I'd go for a nice heavy duty clutch that would run me great for probably years to come.

I do notice on the current clutch material, it seems rather weak after it heats up a little bit, especially after doing jackrabbit starts in the city to keep those little buggers in the cars happy. So I might opt in to getting a new clutch soon. But that regearing I did helped out tremendously. For those few thousand miles I drove that thing with those 3.55s, it was horrible, I have no clue why they'd do that to a customer.

point one....you only do it in an emergency!!!???!!!....use the brakes if its an emergency you vehicle will stop much faster....fourth gear in a 5 speed at 70 mph yeilds more than 2600 rpms....even more so when you factor in your ridiculous low gear you have.

point two....learn how to do the brakes yourself and its a job that can be done for $250 with new rotors and pads.....less if you do not let it get to the point of new rotors and get them turned...less than 4 hours and less than $100...no special tools needed

point three....the comment on engine braking is true about wasted gas and excessive wear on motor....too true

i have one final question....did someone teach you how to drive like that using a standard???? did they charge you???? get your money back????

Old 10-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by bjp207
You beat me to it !

Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by bjp207

I've never had it beyond 2,500 rpms. I just did the math quickly if I were to downshift to 4th... I've never actually needed to... yet.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 PM
And they Cali drivers are crazy...

Old 10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
he drives his truck like its a kw with an 18 speed transmission

who does engine braking at 70 mph for an emergency stop????

Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by troberts6874
he drives his truck like its a kw with an 18 speed transmission

who does engine braking at 70 mph for an emergency stop????
Yes, I drive my truck as if I was driving a Kenworth with a nice 18 speed transmission, sometimes I get cranky and select only high range gears...

Old 10-12-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seriously man, at some point it is better to just stop

Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I am going as far as putting a sign in the engine compartment that states:

1. Please be considerate! The owner of this truck works on this vehicle. Please do not make a mess of the engine bay, as there are expectations of when the truck is finished, is to look the same as when it came in.
2. Any damages done will NOT be tolerated. As photographs have been taken to prove any discrepencies before work was initiated.
3. Ensure ALL tools, rags, and other items are removed from the engine compartment.
4. When filling fluids, do NOT spill ANY on engine or on ANY surface. Ensure they are filled to correct capacities.
5. When finished, ensure the job has been done right and in accordance to the service manual and factory specifications. Please, just fix the problem. ANY issues will NOT be tolerated.
6. Do NOT wash truck, as there is equipment mounted to the truck that could easily break.
7. There is radio equipment in the truck, please DO NOT turn ANY of it on or even touch it. It is a violation of FCC rules for unauthorized users.
8. IF there are any questions, concerns, or problems, please contact the owner of this truck at XXX-XXX-XXXX, and ask for Chuck.
9. Currently the problem with this truck has been posted on a public forum with 138,844 members. If you would like to read the owner's experience before hand, after hand, please follow this link:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ad-gasket.html
As any good, bad, or indifferent experiences will be publically known, along with an exact copy of the work done. Please make this service center shine!

Hopefully that sets them straight.

I hope they do not mess anything up. I just want them to fix the problem and do nothing else.

if i were the tech working on your truck id beat your *** and tow ur truck elsewhere.

but im not.......

so good luck with it :-)

Old 10-13-2008, 12:59 AM
like ive always said
i love manuals threads...

Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Yes, I checked it, and it seemed fine.

Well, since it is a very small leak, and very slow, I am. But I am just horrified of them if they don't put it back together correctly. I think I want to ask for an extended warranty on the engine at least... maybe an extension of 12k/12m on my factory warranty for the engine, just in case.

--------------

Anyhow, I snapped like 150 pictures of the engine compartment, and got all sides of the engine, the top, bottom, left, and right. I took pictures of EVERYTHING. This way if it comes out of the shop damaged or filthy, I will demand that they take care of it.

I had an experience when I had my Escape, and when they were doing I think either the 2nd or 3rd transmission, the shop pretty much bathed my engine in Mercon. I was ticked! I made them clean it! Not only that, but when they took the transmission out, they had to support the engine I guess, and they bent the engine compartment from this engine holder. If they do anything like this to my truck, I got proof that it wasn't there before they screwed with anything. In fact, I am going as far as putting a sign in the engine compartment that states:

1. Please be considerate! The owner of this truck works on this vehicle. Please do not make a mess of the engine bay, as there are expectations of when the truck is finished, is to look the same as when it came in.
2. Any damages done will NOT be tolerated. As photographs have been taken to prove any discrepencies before work was initiated.
3. Ensure ALL tools, rags, and other items are removed from the engine compartment.
4. When filling fluids, do NOT spill ANY on engine or on ANY surface. Ensure they are filled to correct capacities.
5. When finished, ensure the job has been done right and in accordance to the service manual and factory specifications. Please, just fix the problem. ANY issues will NOT be tolerated.
6. Do NOT wash truck, as there is equipment mounted to the truck that could easily break.
7. There is radio equipment in the truck, please DO NOT turn ANY of it on or even touch it. It is a violation of FCC rules for unauthorized users.
8. IF there are any questions, concerns, or problems, please contact the owner of this truck at XXX-XXX-XXXX, and ask for Chuck.
9. Currently the problem with this truck has been posted on a public forum with 138,844 members. If you would like to read the owner's experience before hand, after hand, please follow this link:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ad-gasket.html
As any good, bad, or indifferent experiences will be publically known, along with an exact copy of the work done. Please make this service center shine!

Hopefully that sets them straight.

I hope they do not mess anything up. I just want them to fix the problem and do nothing else.
That's an insult to me. I definetly wouldn't be fixing your truck if i found that. I would probaly laugh at it, frame it, and give it back to you

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket!