2004 - 2008 F-150

Blown Head Gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Well, I went back to them since they put dye in the engine oil. Sorry to say it's leaking again. So what did they tell me?

There is not enough of a leak to be covered under the warranty.

So... what should I do?

I think that the dealer is full of it.

If I let it leak, it's just going to get worse, and the truck will be out of warranty, and I'll be forced to pay for it. I see their intended game.

I am going to try several other places, and see what they tell me.

Right now, I'm not a happy camper, but if it is leaking, they should fix it, since it will cost me, the owner, work that Ford could've fixed.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a leak is a leak...even though the leak was caused by the way you abuse the hell out of your truck

how much oil loss occurs over a set time period? if you're only talking about seepage over a few thousand miles, I see thier point

Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford's official stance is if it's not dripping onto the ground, it's not leaking.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear

Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Quintin
Ford's official stance is if it's not dripping onto the ground, it's not leaking.
It is dripping onto the ground, but only when I accelerate or basically apply a load to the engine.

However, as soon as you turn it off, it won't drip, unless there is some on there still, which is usually a drop or two.

So yes, it is dripping on the ground, but how much when the engine is running is kind of hard because I can't be under the truck while driving.

It has to do with oil pressure, and oil getting by the seal.

Personally, having a friend who is an engine mechanic look at it, he thinks the seal isn't seated correctly. Also, he told me that it had no bearing on me loading the truck up. In fact, loading the truck up and working it is actually good for the valvetrain and especially the catalysts by burning off the excess carbon/varnish that gets built up over time from hauling nothing.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Well, I went back to them since they put dye in the engine oil. Sorry to say it's leaking again. So what did they tell me?

There is not enough of a leak to be covered under the warranty.

So... what should I do?

I think that the dealer is full of it.

If I let it leak, it's just going to get worse, and the truck will be out of warranty, and I'll be forced to pay for it. I see their intended game.

I am going to try several other places, and see what they tell me.

Right now, I'm not a happy camper, but if it is leaking, they should fix it, since it will cost me, the owner, work that Ford could've fixed.

the repair cost are free to you and money for the dealership, the money is not coming out of thier pocket for the repair. they will charge ford for the warranty work to be done....i am sure if they could slide it in as work under warranty they would, it is going to bring money to the service department.

but it could also be that those guys acually met you in person several times, tried to keep you happy, read little notes that you have left them, and its thier polite way to take your truck elsewhere and dont come back

Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Personally, having a friend who is an engine mechanic look at it, he thinks the seal isn't seated correctly. Also, he told me that it had no bearing on me loading the truck up. In fact, loading the truck up and working it is actually good for the valvetrain and especially the catalysts by burning off the excess carbon/varnish that gets built up over time from hauling nothing.
So your mechanic friend says that pulling/hauling beyond your trucks capabilities is actually good for it huh? It helps to burn off the carbon and varnish? I say he's not a very good mechanic. Overloading causes the engine/drivetrain and cats to run hotter then normal which is what causes the carbon and varnish to form. Overloading a vehicle, any vehicle, is never good for it. No matter what your friends tell you.

Originally Posted by troberts6874
but it could also be that those guys acually met you in person several times, tried to keep you happy, read little notes that you have left them, and its thier polite way to take your truck elsewhere and dont come back
Yep, I agree. This is likely the dealers polite way of telling you to take your truck elsewhere because of past experiences with your vehicles.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Tbird69
So your mechanic friend says that pulling/hauling beyond your trucks capabilities is actually good for it huh? It helps to burn off the carbon and varnish? I say he's not a very good mechanic. Overloading causes the engine/drivetrain and cats to run hotter then normal which is what causes the carbon and varnish to form. Overloading a vehicle, any vehicle, is never good for it. No matter what your friends tell you.
He know's his stuff because he's been an engine builder for 42 years. Plus, he builds funny car engines for his son who races.

So, you are saying for all of the people on here that floor their trucks to find out their 0-60 mph, that isn't hard on the truck's engine? I'm not following your logic.

Yep, I agree. This is likely the dealers polite way of telling you to take your truck elsewhere because of past experiences with your vehicles.
I might just have my friend do it in a few months, either that or buy a new truck depending on my feelings about it.

Right now I'm just going to run the truck to the ground and I don't give two craps about it leaking oil until the engine just quits.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 AM
He know's his stuff because he's been an engine builder for 42 years. Plus, he builds funny car engines for his son who races.
So, you are saying for all of the people on here that floor their trucks to find out their 0-60 mph, that isn't hard on the truck's engine? I'm not following your logic.
Right now I'm just going to run the truck to the ground and I don't give two craps about it leaking oil until the engine just quits.
There's a HUGE difference between an engine that's built specifically for racing and one that's built for day to day driving. Racing engines are generally torn down and rebuilt after every race. They will never develop the issues that a street engine will. I'm not talking about somebody doing the occasional WOT run on the highway or even from a standstill. I was talking about overloading a vehicle on a fairly regular basis.

As for running your truck into the ground, that's your choice. Just please PLEASE don't start a thread complaining about how crappy Ford engines are because it couldn't stand up to the abuse you put it through.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 AM

Just please PLEASE don't start a thread complaining about how crappy Ford engines are because it couldn't stand up to the abuse you put it through.
isn't that what this thread is already?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Contributor
I'm not saying the engine is crappy at all. I'm just saying that a simple issue can be easily correctly now, rather than waiting until later and finding out I need to buy a new engine because of something else.

Besides, I don't understand the dealers problem... here's a chance for the mechanics to do some work and get paid to do something interesting rather than do oil changes and other run-of-the-mill stuff. Not to mention, it's Ford's money.

I'm going to try a different dealer next week and see how it goes.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not saying the engine is crappy at all. I'm just saying that a simple issue can be easily correctly now, rather than waiting until later and finding out I need to buy a new engine because of something else.

Besides, I don't understand the dealers problem... here's a chance for the mechanics to do some work and get paid to do something interesting rather than do oil changes and other run-of-the-mill stuff. Not to mention, it's Ford's money.

Good luck! Just some advice, treat them like the professionals that they are & leave your notes home.......You might have better luck!.......

Old 10-26-2008, 04:43 PM
you claim youve never been over 2500 rpm, then you say its ok to abuse your engine...I don't understand you dude

and as for the whole dealer not wanting to do it...lets think about this chief...

I don't know what you do, but say you were a mechanic, and someone came in with this attitude that hes better than everyone and writes you little notes, and always has problems with his vehicles and has to have 4 techs come out and look at a truck that had the wrong sized tires from the factory, and you know has a history with "problems" with vehicles, and he wanted something that could be fixed or could be just pushed off, what would you do?

I know for a fact that I would do everything in my power to not touch that vehicle if I didnt have to. Noone wants an earful every time they do something because they accidentally spilled a little oil and didn't satisfy all your little quirks.

You gotta treat people with respect sometimes dude, just think about how you'd like to be treated

Old 10-26-2008, 05:11 PM

The dealers have certain criteria they have to follow when it comes to warranty work. Quintin has said this numerous times. Fluid leaks generally aren't done under warranty unless it's a safety issue (fuel leak), or it's severe enough to cause damage to the related parts.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
I bet you regret " cleaning " your engine off before taking it in. What did you think you would accomplish ? I would want that thing to look as oily as possible if I were claiming a leak.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket!