2004 - 2008 F-150

Blown Head Gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual: I hope you dont ever plan on having kids... actually i think it should be illegal for you to have children.

If you find a loop hole somewhere God help us all...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Yes, I checked it, and it seemed fine.

Well, since it is a very small leak, and very slow, I am. But I am just horrified of them if they don't put it back together correctly. I think I want to ask for an extended warranty on the engine at least... maybe an extension of 12k/12m on my factory warranty for the engine, just in case.

--------------

Anyhow, I snapped like 150 pictures of the engine compartment, and got all sides of the engine, the top, bottom, left, and right. I took pictures of EVERYTHING. This way if it comes out of the shop damaged or filthy, I will demand that they take care of it.

I had an experience when I had my Escape, and when they were doing I think either the 2nd or 3rd transmission, the shop pretty much bathed my engine in Mercon. I was ticked! I made them clean it! Not only that, but when they took the transmission out, they had to support the engine I guess, and they bent the engine compartment from this engine holder. If they do anything like this to my truck, I got proof that it wasn't there before they screwed with anything. In fact, I am going as far as putting a sign in the engine compartment that states:

1. Please be considerate! The owner of this truck works on this vehicle. Please do not make a mess of the engine bay, as there are expectations of when the truck is finished, is to look the same as when it came in.
2. Any damages done will NOT be tolerated. As photographs have been taken to prove any discrepencies before work was initiated.
3. Ensure ALL tools, rags, and other items are removed from the engine compartment.
4. When filling fluids, do NOT spill ANY on engine or on ANY surface. Ensure they are filled to correct capacities.
5. When finished, ensure the job has been done right and in accordance to the service manual and factory specifications. Please, just fix the problem. ANY issues will NOT be tolerated.
6. Do NOT wash truck, as there is equipment mounted to the truck that could easily break.
7. There is radio equipment in the truck, please DO NOT turn ANY of it on or even touch it. It is a violation of FCC rules for unauthorized users.
8. IF there are any questions, concerns, or problems, please contact the owner of this truck at XXX-XXX-XXXX, and ask for Chuck.
9. Currently the problem with this truck has been posted on a public forum with 138,844 members. If you would like to read the owner's experience before hand, after hand, please follow this link:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ad-gasket.html
As any good, bad, or indifferent experiences will be publically known, along with an exact copy of the work done. Please make this service center shine!

Hopefully that sets them straight.

I hope they do not mess anything up. I just want them to fix the problem and do nothing else.
what a stupid, pompous *** thing to do. i bet you fog the windows in the lobby watching the techs while they rotate your tires.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
The dealers have certain criteria they have to follow when it comes to warranty work. Quintin has said this numerous times. Fluid leaks generally aren't done under warranty unless it's a safety issue (fuel leak), or it's severe enough to cause damage to the related parts.
At land rover when its warranty work, it pretty much has to be making a puddle on the ground before we will do it.

If its customer pay we recommend it on the first sign of a leak.

Sounds shiddy, but warranty work has to go through alot of paper work to get it approved. sometimes will even have a warranty inspector come out and look over the vehicle to deem the repairs worthy. That typically happens on larger cost claims.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 PM
You claim to have a bad headgasket due to some oil seepage on the side of the block, yet you've NEVER mentioned any of the obvious.
1. Do a f*cking compression test.
2. Check for oil the anti-freeze
3. Check for anti-freeze in the oil.

Jesus H. Christ you make it sound like the frame broke in half cause your truck is seeping oil. This isn't a $150k F-1 engine here, it is a mass produced motor. Seepage is normal.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
ManualF150 is obviously a troll. I can't believe some of you guys give him any credible consideration. Let me get this straight:

1. You think your 6 cyl. is a more durable 'work' horse than the V-8 trucks.

2. You bitch, almost every two weeks, about a different quality or durability issue with your 6 cyl. truck.

3. You say your truck has never seen more than 2500 RPM, because 'it doesn't need to' (presumably from the abundance of 6 cyl. torque ), and that you never put undue stress on your truck.

4. Yet, you 'engine brake' to yield more than 2600 RPM, for some self imagined advantage (you are actually doing way more harm than good by engine braking). From this, we can deduce that it is difficult for you to tell the truth, or you are in denial.

5. You, along with four Ford service techs, diagnosed an oil leak, and a subsequent appointment was made to repair the leak under warranty. Then, you cancel the appointment, and decide to clean the oily mess off, and tell yourself that it really wasn't leaking. Then, after deciding again, that this truck surely has an oil leak, you bring it back to the dealer, and want them to diagnose the condition a second time, which was already diagnosed and the repair was refused by you. By this time (on top of all the previous hundreds of hours, thousands of dollars, and insulting note requests you subjected the dealership to over the years) the dealership has realized that your are a complete nut job, and they will do anything to get you away from their otherwise professional business.

6. Now, you have abandoned your previously unwavering stance on 'babying your beloved engine', and want to "run it in the ground", because things are not going your obsessive-compulsive way, and you are bitter.

7. This space reserved for the other 20 retarded things I can point out that are discrepancies and or just plain idiotic in your posts (I work nights, and it is 11 AM, and I haven't been to bed yet).

I knew a fellow that babied his manual trans Ranger to the point it wouldn't run, and needed a new engine prior to 100K miles. He was of the idea that if he kept the RPMs low and barely opened the throttle, he was conserving the engine. It was painful to be a passenger in his truck. He would lug the poor 4.0L so bad, it chugged and chattered, as he screamed (sarcasm) up to about 1600 RPM, in every gear (and heaven forbid he downshift when needed). Well, his engine suffered from extreme carbon deposits and inadequate oil supply, and was trashed in no time.

If you drive your vehicle like this, you are a retard. It will NOT help matters, and is not the way it was designed to be driven. But go ahead and drive it that way, you know everything.

Have I got you figured out? I know you are a troll, posting this for a future "reveal" to all, at a later time, for a good laugh, and I have called you on it. If not, and you really are retarded and ultra obsessive-compulsive, then I apologize, and I wish you good luck in life (you will need it).

Wait... no, I don't apologize. You yourself, called yourself retarded, and an idiot, IIRC, so you are aware of it. It would be discriminatory for you to be able to call names, and not allow me to. I find it hard to believe, though, as NOBODY can be that stupid, pompous, and oblivious.

Last edited by Jimbo45; 11-21-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jimbo45
ManualF150 is obviously a troll. I can't believe some of you guys give him any credible consideration. Let me get this straight:

2. You bitch, almost every two weeks, about a different quality or durability issue with your 6 cyl. truck.

3. You say your truck has never seen more than 2500 RPM, because 'it doesn't need to' (presumably from the abundance of 6 cyl. torque ), and that you never put undue stress on your truck.

4. Yet, you 'engine brake' to yield more than 2600 RPM, for some self imagined advantage (you are actually doing way more harm than good by engine braking). From this, we can deduce that it is difficult for you to tell the truth, or you are in denial.

5. You, along with four Ford service techs, diagnosed an oil leak, and a subsequent appointment was made to repair the leak under warranty. Then, you cancel the appointment, and decide to clean the oily mess off, and tell yourself that it really wasn't leaking. Then, after deciding again, that this truck surely has an oil leak, you bring it back to the dealer, and want them to diagnose the condition a second time, which was already diagnosed and the repair was refused by you. By this time (on top of all the previous hundreds of hours, thousands of dollars, and insulting note requests you subjected the dealership to over the years) the dealership has realized that your are a complete nut job, and they will do anything to get you away from their otherwise professional business.

6. Now, you have abandoned your previously unwavering stance on 'babying your beloved engine', and want to "run it in the ground", because things are not going your obsessive-compulsive way, and you are bitter.

7. This space reserved for the other 20 retarded things I can point out that are discrepancies and or just plain idiotic in your posts (I work nights, and it is 11 AM, and I haven't been to bed yet).

I knew a fellow that babied his manual trans Ranger to the point it wouldn't run, and needed a new engine prior to 100K miles. He was of the idea that if he kept the RPMs low and barely opened the throttle, he was conserving the engine. It was painful to be a passenger in his truck. He would lug the poor 4.0L so bad, it chugged and chattered, as he screamed (sarcasm) up to about 1600 RPM, in every gear (and heaven forbid he downshift when needed). Well, his engine suffered from extreme carbon deposits and inadequate oil supply, and was trashed in no time.

If you drive your vehicle like this, you are a retard. It will NOT help matters, and is not the way it was designed to be driven. But go ahead and drive it that way, you know everything.

Have I got you figured out? I know you are a troll, posting this for a future "reveal" to all, at a later time, for a good laugh, and I have called you on it. If not, and you really are retarded and ultra obsessive-compulsive, than I apologize, and I wish you good luck in life (you will need it).

Wait... no, I don't apologize. You yourself, called yourself retarded, and an idiot, IIRC, so you are aware of it. It would be discriminatory for you to be able to call names, and not allow me to. I find it hard to believe, though, as NOBODY can be that stupid, pompous, and oblivious.
Quoting for truth.

As this thread has been beaten to death already, this is my only question..

ManualF150, are you high?

Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
In fact yes it is. It's a base industrial engine built on specifications that have much higher standards than regular "consumer use" engines. The ESG-642 has mil-spec standards established on it.

The three major Ford Power Product base industrial engines are:
6.0 PowerStroke Diesel
6.8l Triton V10 WSG-1068
4.2l Essex V6 ESG-642

Well, I nit-pick sometimes about my truck... I wish I could've gotten a bigger bang for my buck sometimes.

It doesn't because revving it over 2500 rpms just wastes gas when just driving around.

Engine braking does not harm the engine any more than me running it.

Yes, four Ford service techs did in fact diagnose an oil leak, and yes, an appointment was made, however they wanted to make sure that they had a good handle on where exactly it was leaking oil. Nothing wrong with that. I did not refuse any service. The service center cleaned the oil up the second time I brought it in and added orange colored dye to the oil. I drove it around some more, and I brought it back today, and with what they saw, it was for sure the engine was leaking oil from the head gasket. Again, nothing wrong with that.

The dealer actually sees me as a customer with high standards in a professional manner.

The service center wanted me to run it hard for testing.

Sorry, but my explaination of what goes on is sometimes tough to explain.

I knew a fellow that babied his manual trans Ranger to the point it wouldn't run, and needed a new engine prior to 100K miles. He was of the idea that if he kept the RPMs low and barely opened the throttle, he was conserving the engine. ... (cut to stay within 5000 char. limit)

I don't drive my truck like your fellow that babied a manual trans Ranger and it busted.

I do upshift and stay within the RPM and speed range prescribed by the owners manual.

Have I got you figured out? I know you are a troll, posting this for a future "reveal" to all, at a later time, for a good laugh, and I have called you on it. If not, and you really are retarded and ultra obsessive-compulsive, then I apologize, and I wish you good luck in life (you will need it).

Nope, you'll never figure me out. Heck, I can't figure out myself at certain times.

Yeah, I'm an idiot at times, retarded, but hey... aren't we all... we are all human.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Fair enough. You are definitely honest for the most part...weird, but honest. I have to say that your threads are indeed entertaining. I still have my doubts that you can actually be serious with these threads. I can't imagine that anyone that spends as much time and energy over minor truck issues, can get anything else accomplished in their day. Are all your rugs' fringe neatly combed and straight before you leave the house in the morning?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Contributor
To continue the saga... I brought my truck in today, after noticing a slight oil burning smell coming from my truck last night when I pulled into the garage. I took it over this morning to the service center, and I had them look at it again. The service manager came out with me, and we looked it over, and we both agreed that the gasket and/or the block was warped causing the leak. We won't be sure of what the problem is until they tear it apart.

As of right now they got some gaskets on order, along with some other minor parts that can't be reused when putting the engine back together.

Just for clarification, by an engine mechanic, he told me that lugging any engine below 1000 rpms is NOT good for the valvetrain and rocker arms. Keeping the engine above 1200 rpms to 2800 rpms is an ideal range for this type of engine if you want it to last a long time. Running it over 3 grand is not going to hurt it, but you are going from putting no stress on the engine, to putting it back under stress. He pointed it out like this: You will do nearly as much damage running the truck at 800 rpms under heavy load as what you'd do if you were to run it with no load at 5000 rpms. Hence the reason 1200 to 2800 rpms is a great range for this particular engine. So I popped the question to him about running it from around 1200 to 2000 every day, if that was going to hurt anything. He said no. In fact, as long as you are around the 1800 mark, you are golden, but roughly around that is ok too. He then went on to explain about different engines how DOHC enables engines to run at a much higher RPM rating, and how you would treat a OHV versus a DOHC engine, what are satisfactory RPM ratings, etc... but that's beyond the point.

Which from my point of view, that was very courteous to explain to me in-depth how to properly operate this particular engine. Not to mention he assured me that he himself would do a good job.

I then spoke with the service manager about my requests that I had taped to the underside of my hood on my truck, and he said, "You are the only customer that walked through this door that had the common sense to remind and inform the techs to do their job right or there will be consequences." He said there is nothing wrong with that, and finds that a very bold and thoughtful thing I did. Not to mention he said that he will ensure that they do what I ask because it is nothing out of the ordinary, and it is only true coutesy of what I ask. It's not like I was asking them to be over backwards or anything.

So it looks like everything is going to get fixed.

Now I wonder... I just wonder... if my pinging problem will get fixed from this. hmm... We'll see!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
The dealer actually sees me as a customer with high standards in a professional manner.
No, they don't.

Trust me on this.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is one of the most interesting/entertaining threads I have ever seen here ever!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
No, they don't.

Trust me on this.
you really have to be on the wrench side of the car to know what quintin is talking about. Im sure his shop is the same as everywhere else, that you can recognize certain customers cars when they come in the shop, and know they are either *** holes, or they beat their cars into the ground or both. And the techs will fight eachother to not work on that car.

But with all respect Manual, I really do hope that you get your problem corrected

Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
you really have to be on the wrench side of the car to know what quintin is talking about. Im sure his shop is the same as everywhere else, that you can recognize certain customers cars when they come in the shop, and know they are either *** holes, or they beat their cars into the ground or both. And the techs will fight eachother to not work on that car.

But with all respect Manual, I really do hope that you get your problem corrected
Well... I've never worked for a service center... but I've worked on many cars/trucks before. Some of which were not my own. I've dealt with some friends, that turned out to be no-so-nice afterwards when I fixed their vehicle. Yeah, I fixed it, but it was either it took too long, or else they felt like I was taking advantage of them. So I know what it feels like in a smaller sense, dealing with it on a case-by-case manner. But give me a shop manual, and I'll fix the problem.

Heck, I'd fix this problem if it wasn't covered under the warranty, no doubt about it, or else I'd let my friend who loves tearing into engines fix it for nothing or some minimal charge.

But the only reason why I want them to focus on the details is because of three major legitmate reasons:

1. I don't let anyone but myself work on the truck, unless it is a case where it could save me time and effort if I had it done under the warranty.
2. Leaving my engine compartment a mess, means I have to do more work than necessary the next time I need to fix something not covered under warranty.
3. I work on the truck, and it's not fair if I left it clean for all this time, and they go around and mess things up. It would be like one of them giving me their truck, and I fix their head gasket issue, and I do a cob-job and spill engine oil all over the place, leave tools in the engine compartment, and not making sure everything is back in its respected place.

It's all common sense. Just think, I do their work too, but to a much smaller scale. I'm no fool when it comes to good vs. bad work on a vehicle.

But yes, from speaking with the service manager, he is ensuring me that the truck will be fixed and be returned to me as it left the factory floor.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Contributor
Parts came in this Friday!! Will be dropping the truck off on Monday for its... procedure.

From when I drop it off to when I pick it up, I'll be vicously gnawing on my nails...

All the strife is just precariously killing me!!

Old 11-29-2008, 02:22 AM
I can't wait to see what happens with this. Good luck Manual.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket!