2004 - 2008 F-150

Injectors on my '05

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 09:45 AM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Injectors on my '05

I was planning on changing my plugs soon on my 2005 Scab and started hearing all these horror stories about the injectors. Somehow I never got a letter. I'm thinking I should just go ahead and change the injectors, so I have 3 questions for the all-knowing F150 Online crew.

1. I have 44,000 miles with no problems and never received a letter. Is there a good chance my injectors are good and I shouldn't worry about it?

2. I've never changed injectors before, is this something I can do myself? And if so, anyone have instructions?

3. Where's the best place to buy the new injectors and the part number?

Thanks a ton.

Old 10-06-2008 | 11:05 AM
Global Moderator &
I can't answer your questions, but I seem to recall that the injector issue was just for certain 05s. I never got the letter and have 76,000 on mine with no problems. I had my plugs changed at 65,500 and that was with no problem, as well.

Old 10-06-2008 | 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by vtron
I was planning on changing my plugs soon on my 2005 Scab and started hearing all these horror stories about the injectors. Somehow I never got a letter. I'm thinking I should just go ahead and change the injectors, so I have 3 questions for the all-knowing F150 Online crew.

1. I have 44,000 miles with no problems and never received a letter. Is there a good chance my injectors are good and I shouldn't worry about it?

2. I've never changed injectors before, is this something I can do myself? And if so, anyone have instructions?

3. Where's the best place to buy the new injectors and the part number?

Thanks a ton.
Here's a start out of the manual for the 5.4. I've never changed them on these either but it doesn't sound to complicated. Maybe someone who has will give you more information. As far as where to buy them? Not a clue but I would check OEM for an undated injector and go from there.

Fuel Injectors Printable View (11 KB)

Material Item Specification
SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
XO-5W20-QSP or equivalent WSS-M2C930-A

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.

WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before working on or disconnecting any of the fuel tubes or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.

Release the fuel system pressure. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .
Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
Remove the air cleaner and air cleaner intake pipe. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .
Remove the fuel rail. For additional information, refer to Fuel Rail in this section.
NOTE: Install new O-ring seals on the fuel injectors.

NOTE: Lubricate the new fuel injector O-ring seals with clean engine oil prior to installing the fuel injectors.

Remove the 8 fuel injectors and discard the 8 lower and 8 upper fuel injector O-ring seals.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Old 10-06-2008 | 06:05 PM
I bought my '05 in March and had an injector stick open in August. So of course I didn't get a letter but I called the dealer and they towed it in and replaced it free of charge.

I wouldn't waste the money replacing them when Ford will do it free if something were to go wrong. They extended the warranty to 11 years or 110k miles or something like that.

Old 10-06-2008 | 06:20 PM

To the OP: I just helped change the plugs on my neighbors 05 F150 which has 40K on it. We followed the TSB and still broke one. He managed to fab up home-made tool and got the remains out today so it turned out alright. We also changed the plug in my 06 F150 with 20K on it and got all 8 out in one piece. If you are going to change them I would do it before you get many ore miles on the clock. The longer you wait the greater the chances of breaking are.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by kd4crs
To the OP: I just helped change the plugs on my neighbors 05 F150 which has 40K on it. We followed the TSB and still broke one. He managed to fab up home-made tool and got the remains out today so it turned out alright. We also changed the plug in my 06 F150 with 20K on it and got all 8 out in one piece. If you are going to change them I would do it before you get many ore miles on the clock. The longer you wait the greater the chances of breaking are.
I'm planning on doing it very soon. Plugs should be here this week and I'm picking up the Carb cleaner and anti-seize tomorrow.

Old 10-07-2008 | 12:08 PM
|

So the dealer ran my VIN and I'm part of the 2005 owners that have the extended warranty on the fuel injectors. My follow up question is, is it worth the $300 for new injectors now or should I ride it out until there's a problem? More specifically, does anyone have an idea about what percentage of 2005's end up with a problem?

Old 10-07-2008 | 12:27 PM
Global Moderator &
A lot of people get in trouble using carb cleaner. It quite often does not get the job done. I would use Kroil or the solvent you can buy at the dealer. This is what was in the TSB.

Old 10-07-2008 | 12:57 PM
|

Originally Posted by bluejay432000
A lot of people get in trouble using carb cleaner. It quite often does not get the job done. I would use Kroil or the solvent you can buy at the dealer. This is what was in the TSB.
I thought the latest TSB said to use "Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner." Is that what people are having trouble with?

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:00 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by vtron
I thought the latest TSB said to use "Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner." Is that what people are having trouble with?
That is fine, I thought you were using Berryman or some other carb cleaner. Sorry. You want to give yourself every chance of success!

Quick Reply: Injectors on my '05