2004 - 2008 F-150

Took some Pics today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008 | 01:30 AM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Bartak1
How come you have to rebalance the driveshaft?
To be honest i dont even know. But i believe it is because the lift creates driveshaft angles. Before rebalance, they have to shave th master key and align the slipyokes too, so who knows why it all has to be done.

Old 10-15-2008 | 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I think that might be more towards Davis and that area, but I could be wrong. mSal seems to be all over Northern CA. Where are you from bud ? Always good to see more locals.
I grew up in San Mateo and lived all over the Bay Area. I got a house in Fremont now that I am trying to afford! BTW, nice work on the lifts...need to figure out how to afford that too!

From mSal's pics, it looks like the wetlands on the west side of the Dumbarton. I've seen duck hunters on my side of the bridge but not being a duck hunter, not too sure if that's still allowed out there.

Old 10-15-2008 | 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Yeah i basically am all over NorCal . Grew up in Palo Alto area, currently go to school in Davis, but spends summers on the ranch in Shasta. These pictures were taken out at one of my duck blinds, this one is located near the Sutter Wildlife Refuge.

MT everything is holding up perfectly fine. The only thing i cant figure out is ever since we installed the lift, when i am stopped at a stoplight idling in drive with the A/C on, there is a loud rattling coming from the engine bay, driver's side. Still haven't figured out what that is. I also still need to get the driveshaft rebalanced. Havent needed 4x4 yet but i should probably get that done ASAP. Will 4x4 not work without getting that done? Or will it just cause a vibration?

These Fabtech shocks eat up potholes SOOO much better than stock, its an amazing difference. I LOVE it.

Duck season starts the 18th (SATURDAY!!!). Let me know some weekends when you are free, you can come up and we can go slam some birds.

Did you install that heat shield back under it ? Near the driveshaft ? That black one ? I had some heat shields giving me all kinds of rattling going on too, getting under it, while idling, helped me find up, and I just tweaked up and bent em by hand til they stopped. Now, purrs like a kitten ! If its not that, we can find it !

You re-clock the driveshaft at all ? Need any more exhaust work done ? Upholstrey (sp?) ?? We could kill two birds with one stone if you'd like. I don't want you going out in the mud with no 4x4 ! Thats a long drive for me to pull you out !

If you have re-clocked it, and just not balanced it yet, your fine. Thats how i run mine, and I do run around placed in 4x4, its not ALL the time, and my vibration is sooooo slight, even the driveline guy said its not really worth it. All of em tend to be different though, or thats what i heard. The guys at Les Schwab (intall em a lot) said 8/10 need rebalanced, but some seem to be fine.

If you haven't re-clocked yet, under heavy load (4lo or something) your ears on the shafts can bind up, and break scrape or grenade. Thats what I was warned about from Fabtech, never seen it happen though !

I'm pretty open the rest of the week until weekend.

Old 10-15-2008 | 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
I grew up in San Mateo and lived all over the Bay Area. I got a house in Fremont now that I am trying to afford! BTW, nice work on the lifts...need to figure out how to afford that too!

From mSal's pics, it looks like the wetlands on the west side of the Dumbarton. I've seen duck hunters on my side of the bridge but not being a duck hunter, not too sure if that's still allowed out there.
Awesome, and congrats on the new house !

If you look around here, you will find some guys that give good deals on aftermarket stuff, especially right now ! Once you got all your lift, tires, wheels and what not, let me know. We can work something out at a fair price if ya need !

Old 10-15-2008 | 11:40 PM
|

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Did you install that heat shield back under it ? Near the driveshaft ? That black one ? I had some heat shields giving me all kinds of rattling going on too, getting under it, while idling, helped me find up, and I just tweaked up and bent em by hand til they stopped. Now, purrs like a kitten ! If its not that, we can find it !

You re-clock the driveshaft at all ? Need any more exhaust work done ? Upholstrey (sp?) ?? We could kill two birds with one stone if you'd like. I don't want you going out in the mud with no 4x4 ! Thats a long drive for me to pull you out !

If you have re-clocked it, and just not balanced it yet, your fine. Thats how i run mine, and I do run around placed in 4x4, its not ALL the time, and my vibration is sooooo slight, even the driveline guy said its not really worth it. All of em tend to be different though, or thats what i heard. The guys at Les Schwab (intall em a lot) said 8/10 need rebalanced, but some seem to be fine.

If you haven't re-clocked yet, under heavy load (4lo or something) your ears on the shafts can bind up, and break scrape or grenade. Thats what I was warned about from Fabtech, never seen it happen though !

I'm pretty open the rest of the week until weekend.
Okay well i haven't touched any heat shields or the driveshaft since i left your shop (besides re-tightening) so i suppose i should take it to a shop and get that chit re-clocked before i even attempt 4x4. But i need to get it done before the first big rain because these dirt roads get ugly fast. Damn how much is that gonna cost? I would drive down but thats a lotta gas and i have like zero free time with 25 hours of work/week and 17 units AND duck season AND finding time to party. :o

Old 10-16-2008 | 01:47 AM
i want more pics.... i need more pics...
your truck is freakin awesome. i want it

Old 12-31-2008 | 09:04 PM
|

Duck season means that my truck gets filthy, so i finally washed it today. Took a few pics afterwards.

Old 01-01-2009 | 05:47 PM
Good lookin truck

Did you get that shackle in your reciever online somewhere?? I could use one of those pretty bad, I cant find them anywhere locally, and most places online want WAY too much for a chunk of 2x2 steel and a shackle....

Old 01-01-2009 | 05:55 PM
i just made mine. it looks pretty much the exact same except i painted my shackle black

Old 01-01-2009 | 06:36 PM
Biggest damn Arizona Beige decoy I've ever seen! Truck look's great.

Old 01-01-2009 | 09:39 PM
|

Originally Posted by Bartak1
Good lookin truck

Did you get that shackle in your reciever online somewhere?? I could use one of those pretty bad, I cant find them anywhere locally, and most places online want WAY too much for a chunk of 2x2 steel and a shackle....
When i bought my toolbox (which cost 350 bucks) i asked the guy if he would throw in the shackle and he said okay. Online you're looking at 25 bucks minimum.

Old 01-01-2009 | 10:02 PM
Old 01-01-2009 | 10:13 PM
lookin good man

Old 01-01-2009 | 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by ride_002000

Cheap, but a 3k# rating is only going to throw a shackle through someones windshield.

I think there is some 1/4" walled 2x2 tubing laying around in the shop that I can just drill a couple holes through and either find a shackle laying around here or buy one from about any store around here.

My solution has always been to stick a Grade 8 bolt through the reciever with the tow strap loop through it or else improvise Im cheap.

Quick Reply: Took some Pics today.