2004 - 2008 F-150

Maghytec diff and tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 06:29 PM
|
Suspended
Maghytec diff and tranny?

Hey guys, got a few questions.

While browsing around the maghytec site, I became confused on which ones to order since the latest year is 03, nothing for the 04+.

Which part numbers do I need for the tranny and diff covers?

Also, how hard is the install?

I take it royal purple is the choice among you guys for the fluid, if so how much and which kind do I need?

I know its a loaded question, but thanks guys.

Old 10-14-2008 | 06:51 PM
I will double check part numbers for you, give me a little bit.

install is CAKE !!! Can't think of anything easier. Old one comes off, new one goes on. Bolt on, and go.

Trans pan might require you to remove the cross member to ease with getting it in there. Again, its easy and simple bolts.

I would run Amsoil in the rear dif (personally I am a SWEPCO guy, but ya gotta know someone to get that stuff). As for the trans, just run Motorcraft Mercon V since that is most likely what your already running. Don't switch unless you plan to have the ENTIRE trans flushed (pan hold roughly 33% of the fluid, the rest is in the Torque converter and valve body)

How much depends on deep dish or not. I would suggest going with the larger one.

Which engine do you have ??

Old 10-14-2008 | 06:55 PM
|
Suspended
my reply in bold
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I will double check part numbers for you, give me a little bit.
Gracias
install is CAKE !!! Can't think of anything easier. Old one comes off, new one goes on. Bolt on, and go.
I guess I will have to get under truck and see
Trans pan might require you to remove the cross member to ease with getting it in there. Again, its easy and simple bolts.
Might just skip this product and get the diff
I would run Amsoil in the rear dif (personally I am a SWEPCO guy, but ya gotta know someone to get that stuff). As for the trans, just run Motorcraft Mercon V since that is most likely what your already running. Don't switch unless you plan to have the ENTIRE trans flushed (pan hold roughly 33% of the fluid, the rest is in the Torque converter and valve body)

How much depends on deep dish or not. I would suggest going with the larger one.
whats the diff between deep dish and normal?

Which engine do you have ??
5.4 fx4 rear 8.8

Old 10-14-2008 | 07:08 PM
this is a 2006 model, correct ?

If you have the FX4, then yes you have the 5.4 3 valve motor, but you have the 9.75" rear end (and 8.8 IFS reverse cut front)

I like having the after market trans pan. Keeps my trany running cooler, and I tow often, so its nice. If your not towing much, or off-roading, then the pan probably isn't needed. But really, not hard to install at all. Climb under there and see what I am talking about. Its cake !

Difference between deep dish and regular pan is $25 in price, and regular adds 1.5 EXTRA quarts, DD adds 8 quarts I believe.

Normal operating temps are supposed to be 160-ish. Mine, even with the lift, is roughly 130-140 under normal conditions. Well worth it IMO.

Its also nice seeing that they offer magnetic dip sticks as well as magnetic drain plugs (in the dif) and a big fat magnetic drain plug for the trans. They come with a nice O ring type seal, already installed. They make for easier fluid changes (drain holes... factory doesn't have em). They are nice, and one of the first things i got for my truck

http://mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm
notice the bottom right corner has a temp chart with relating mileage. Of course, they will over exagerate on this, but it still gives you an idea.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 10-14-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2008 | 07:11 PM
|
Suspended
Thanks man. I think Im just gonna stick with the diff cover for now. Might seem like a stupid questions, but um, how do you add the liquid to the diff covers?

Old 10-14-2008 | 11:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
the mag-hytech is the best thing i did when i had the gears swapped. Changing the oil took less than 10 minutes. The magnetic drain plug helps alot, and i think the dipstick end is magnetic as well (dont quote me on that one though). Im running royal purple with no complaints at all, cost about 120 for just the rear end though, i bought one bottle too much just in case though.

Old 10-16-2008 | 04:14 AM
How many quarts of gear oil did you buy? That stuff is only about $10 a quart.

Quick Reply: Maghytec diff and tranny?