2004 - 2008 F-150

giving the new 08s away

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008 | 02:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Reality Check time people

Originally Posted by 06yz250f
try and get with taxes, but if not thats still a fair deal. just remember you can buy a brand new 08 for 20k for a lariat supercrew and probly about 21-22 for a 4x4.
I've been peeking in here for the last few days and you guys are spouting alot of b.s.

In an ideal situation, with perfect credit or cash on hand, yes, you can pick up a XLT 4x2 for about $20,000 new. You are not going to get a Lariat, and especially not a Lariat Supercrew for under $25,000. That would be over $10,000 off the sticker price...closer to $13,000 off sticker

most people don't have gobs of money just sitting around to pay cash, and the majority don't have good credit.

Telling people to expect these prices is irresponsible. Because they won't get them. The truck market does suck right now, but it isn't so bad that Dealerships and Ford are going to get butt-raped like you guys think. The prices you guys are quoting are almost what the production costs for that truck are.

The few people who get good deals are the lucky few who bought a Loss Leader.

A Loss Leader is 1-2 teaser vehicles on the Dealers lot that are deliberately priced extremely low (often below sticker prices). The dealership will steer potential buyers into more expensive vehicles. I'll bet that the vehicles you guys keep quoting are Loss Leaders.

Old 10-25-2008 | 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus

I've been peeking in here for the last few days and you guys are spouting alot of b.s.

In an ideal situation, with perfect credit or cash on hand, yes, you can pick up a XLT 4x2 for about $20,000 new. You are not going to get a Lariat, and especially not a Lariat Supercrew for under $25,000. That would be over $10,000 off the sticker price...closer to $13,000 off sticker

most people don't have gobs of money just sitting around to pay cash, and the majority don't have good credit.

Telling people to expect these prices is irresponsible. Because they won't get them. The truck market does suck right now, but it isn't so bad that Dealerships and Ford are going to get butt-raped like you guys think. The prices you guys are quoting are almost what the production costs for that truck are.

A Loss Leader is 1-2 teaser vehicles on the Dealers lot that are deliberately priced extremely low (often below sticker prices). The dealership will steer potential buyers into more expensive vehicles. I'll bet that the vehicles you guys keep quoting are Loss Leaders.
so what do you think is a reasonable price for an 06 screw 6.5 bed with 23,000 miles?

Old 10-25-2008 | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by fuller63
so what do you think is a reasonable price for an 06 screw 6.5 bed with 23,000 miles?
not the $15k as previously mentioned.

depending on the Interior options...about $17-20k

An XLT should go for low in the band. A bare boned XLT honestly should be about $16k.

But a FX4/Lariat with all the goodies can realistically be closer to the $18k-20k

also, what condition is it in? there are lots of variables to look at. we need more details.

another factor to consider is that gas prices have dropped over $1.00 nationwide. V-8 prices are going to rebound somewhat. So if you're going to buy, you need to do so within the next month or so. After that I'm fairly certain the crazy low prices that have been prevalent will stabilize at a higher price.

best part is, all the stuff above is just based on vehicle condition when talking price. now you have to figure how you're going to pay for this.

Cash - walk in and low ball them

Your Own Financing - Pretty much same effect as cash

Dealer Financing - Bend over. They may sell the truck to you at a "GOOD PRICE", but they'll make up the difference via interest rate and other misc charges that aren't needed

Old 10-25-2008 | 03:43 PM
its a lariat. i think the most i would pay for it is 18

the only problem im running into is this-- if i buy within the next month i will only be able to put 2 grand down. how much does the down payment affect the overall purchase?

Old 10-25-2008 | 04:35 PM

national average is roughly $17 for every $1,000 you finance...I believe for a 5 yr loan...and that is for decent credit history. % rate will go up/down depending on your score

so you pay $18,000 for the truck - the $2,000 down

that leaves you with a $16,000 financed (work the Tax/Title/Liscence into the deal if possible).

so roughly $272 a month for 60 months = $16,300

Old 10-25-2008 | 05:20 PM
http://www.afbank.com/loans/auto_loan_rates.cfm

60 month loan at a fairly low interest rate = $20 per $1,000 finanaced

in the Austin metroplex in last Sunday's paper:

Covert Ford: F-150 XLT Screw, $32,625 msrp, $17,688 sale price after rebates + additional $1,000 WAC of Ford financing

XLT 4x4 screw $35,570 msrp, $21,988 sale price + addition for Ford Credit

Lariat screw 4x2 $33,400 msrp, $21,788 sale + same Ford Credit discount

$13,000 off all King Ranches

yeah, you'll say loss leaders....more like clearing the inventory before they loose their asses....

Old 10-25-2008 | 05:51 PM

so you reference 3 trucks in the ad specifically. but what are the prices of all the other trucks on the lot?

You'll be hard pressed to find any other trucks for the same price as those 3 once their sold.

again, Loss Leaders. It's an industry tactic for anything sold retail. Not just Auto's

Old 10-25-2008 | 06:55 PM
hmm.. I dunno about some of these guys quotes, but a lot of dealerships around here are advertising some pretty decent deals in South Texas..

I bought my 2008 FX4 Screw back in March for $12.5k off the sticker, it was listed at $41k and I picked it up for $28.5k with my own credit union financing at 4.25%.. I think FMC cash was only $1000 anyways.. and they wanted to give me a 7.99% rate..

Anywho.. it definately wasn't cheap, but it was brand new and only had 4 miles on it, besides.. $12.5k off is plenty for me, I spent about 7k of it lifting it up and etc (easy to convince the wife to spend 7k when you're saving over 12.5k! lol)..

It wasn't an ad truck, there were 3 black FX4's on the lot at the time, I just picked the one with the lowest mileage. They were willing to price match and beat a competing dealership that was advertising $12k off all Supercrews..

In the end.. now is the time to buy a truck, especially an F-150.. with the end of year savings and the 09s rolling in, there are definately deep discounts on just about every model.

Last edited by zeruin; 10-25-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2008 | 04:01 AM

Yep, they're loss leaders. The largest dealer around here always puts 4 or 5 in at that price- they have 'em and you can buy 'em for that price- and they're not oddball stuff that's been sitting on the lot forever either. the '04 I have now was not a loss leader but I went to look at the loss leaders. Wanted something exactly like one of the LL's but with p/seat and auto/HL's and bought it for very close to LL price. Some of the dealers still offer "1only" but a lot of them put 3 to 5 for that price. Loss leaders are a different ball game than they used to be- at least at a lot of dealers. The same dealer offered 3 or 4 FX-2's for about $17k about a month ago and I can guarantee you could buy them for that and I have never had them try and steer me to something else. I have bought 3 new trucks on advertised special and 2 new cars- all at terrific prices and just what I wanted, and never had them jack me around or try and switch me to something else. It pays to know what you're doing though.
I bought a new Camry for my wife in '02 (1st year for that model). When you were lucky to get $1k off a Camry this dealer offered $3500. off ANY Camry on the lot. Look at FACTORY window sticker and deduct $3500. and that's what you pay. They had at least 150 Camry's so my wife picked the color she wanted and they wrote it up. No jacking of any kind- we were on our way home within an hour of the time we arrived. We always pay cash so there's not a lot of work for them to do. You can buy them cheaper now and my brother bought a new 1 in '05 for about $6k off and had a choice of 15!! How's that for your loss leader?

Last edited by code58; 10-26-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-26-2008 | 09:12 AM
|
Tylus:

Not sure if they are loss leaders or not but a price is a price. No need to be so sensitive on this. Just reporting the ads I saw. I saw another one for a new 08 xlt o8 crew 4x4. Likely has no options and small engine but for the $17.5K WOW. Have seen ads for $19K and change for the 5.4 screw 4x4 with towing pckg. Its not like this is at one dealer on one truck.... these ads are for many dealers and the prices are all very similar. Maybe things aren't this way in your neck of the woods but they are here in the upper midwest. The deals involve financing through FMCC for one of the rebates.

Talking about credit - not sure what the FICO cut offs are for the deal but Id guess amywhere above high 6s to 7 is fine. I know a lot of folks who buy cars/trucks for cash (unless they are high priced exotics) so many of us can just ****** up a $20K vehicle - not that much $ these days.

However I digress - My point of this thread as I sat there sipping coffee and reading the paper (a rarity for me these days) I just found these low prices amazing as just 2-3years ago getting a truck for invoice was a good deal.

As for the 06 screw with the long bed. I agree with Tylus on ths prices here. It likely would sell for $16K -$18/19K depending on options/condition/location. Comapred to what you would have pd 3 years ago for a 2yr old truck like that - likely well into the $20s, it's a steal.

And happy day here, gas is $2.15

Old 10-26-2008 | 10:15 AM

A reality check is good, and the offers change monthly. Back in July I could get $11,500 off of any Lariat. Since a SuperCrew 4x4 starts at about $36,500 I could get one for $25,000. A 4x2 and SuperCab Lariat would be less.

This was not for loss leaders, but any vehicle on the lot. That was because of the employee pricing that was going on back then. We knew employee pricing would not last for ever, and I think it is over already. If you are going to offer a number that may be the lowest they will accept or near to it, but still under what they will accept, then the information you find here from past purchases may prove useful.

When my wife indicated she wanted an RX330 I scanned the internet messages boards looking for the largest discount anyone got on one of these. I took that number to the dealer and got the same discount. I did some homework and made a good deal.

The point is, the dealer is not going to help you by telling you what the max discount you can expect. That is why we can help each other out in that respect. Reality check sure, but more important we can do our homework together.

Old 10-28-2008 | 12:06 PM

where is this -7,500 comming from? is it some kind of special or something?

BTW- Galpin has the truck i want and its listed for $25,xxx. its an 06 screw 6.5 with the 5.4l and 23,000 miles. what do you think i could get them down to??
The $7500 is the total of rebates, bonus cash, and discounts Ford is offering on the purchase of a new F150. I don't know if that is current or applies to your local area, but it is a good example.

You are looking at a used truck at Galpin, that is different. The price you offer and they accept is subject to supply and demand. Right now, demand is down, way down and supply is unchanged. That means you pay less. Also, when the new trucks are discounted the price on used trucks goes down also.

Why would you pay $25,000 for an 06 with 23,000 miles when you may be able to get an 08 for $26,000 with 23 miles?

Old 10-28-2008 | 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by greencrew

Why would you pay $25,000 for an 06 with 23,000 miles when you may be able to get an 08 for $26,000 with 23 miles?
thats the thing, i would not pay $25,000 for an 06. id pay 17-18,000. and thats my limit. i cant pay over that price for any vehicle. thats why i cant get a new 08.

Old 10-28-2008 | 04:03 PM
Suspended
ok tylus how much do you think my 2007 f150 4x4 xlt 4.6 was back last november. remember rebates weren't as good as they are now. sticker was right over 36k? and if thats bs how did my dads friend buy his lariat screw for 21k?

Old 10-28-2008 | 05:22 PM

thats the thing, i would not pay $25,000 for an 06. id pay 17-18,000. and thats my limit. i cant pay over that price for any vehicle. thats why i cant get a new 08.
I see your point. You can always look and always ask. I passed up an offer on an 08 demo for $14,000 off of sticker. I was going to get it only I saw the one I have before I got over to the dealer.

That is when your purchasing power is the greatest, when you on the way to pick up another truck. That's why they don't like you to come back tomorrow. You can also quote and ask for quotes from any dealer via email. Sent them an email! Today!

And like Tylus says, look for the loss leader. I've seen some of those that dropped my jaw.

Quick Reply: giving the new 08s away