2004 - 2008 F-150

Manual hubs upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008 | 02:37 PM
Just to chime in.

IWE is a problem, but it can never break at the "worse time" when four wheeling. Its default position is engaged, so that if it does "break" then you are stuck in 4x4.

It does cause a problem when it happens on the highway. It will attempt to engage at speed. This can cause wear and grind down some of the hub gears. Not a big enough problem to force aftermarket into R&D of a manual hub conversion. Its really just not worth it on these trucks. The hub doesn't break, and the IWE has a decent system to not leave you stranded.

Now, a slip yoke eliminator kit would be sweet !!! But again, aint gunna happen. These trucks just aren't in THAT market. Ford markets these F150's mainly at soccer moms and grocery haulers.

Old 12-23-2008 | 02:38 PM
Suspended
profitable is a "loose word" profitable for a mom and pop shop is different that what a massive manufacturer would say is profitable. why would you leave the hubs locked in? did you ever have to change the spindle bearings? if you would be so eager to get out and lock them in, then why did you leave them locked in? your running circles with your story sir.

Old 12-23-2008 | 02:41 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MercedesTech

These trucks just aren't in THAT market. Ford markets these F150's mainly at soccer moms and grocery haulers.
well said.

Old 12-23-2008 | 02:47 PM
wouldn't it be...

Manual hubs downgrade?

Old 12-23-2008 | 02:50 PM
|
IWE is a problem, but it can never break at the "worse time" when four wheeling. Its default position is engaged, so that if it does "break" then you are stuck in 4x4.
Well that makes me feel better. If I'd have known that I'd probably not have asked for a manual hub replacement to begin with. Glad to see Ford learned something from their previous vacuum systems!

Now, a slip yoke eliminator kit would be sweet !!!
Its a Borg Warner... I bet a slip yoke kit already exists if you had a half dozen cases your could take apart to figure out which parts are interchangeable. Know what I mean?

But again, aint gunna happen. These trucks just aren't in THAT market. Ford markets these F150's mainly at soccer moms and grocery haulers
Yes! It is my soccer mom/grocery getter that insisted we need a full-size in the first place.

your running circles with your story sir
No, you're just being obtuse. I would be happy to get out and lock the hubs, but like you pointed out, its a lot nicer just to flip the switch in the warm cab. So the compromise on previous auto-hub systems has been to convert to manual hubs and always leave them locked in. Now you have the best of both worlds.

But also as you said, yes you put more wear and tear on your 4x4 system since it is always spinning. But it is not as much wear and tear as spinning and powered. So again, its a compromise. BUT, a spindle bearing won't leave you stuck waiting for someone to pull you out, while a broken hub will (ask me how I know).

Old 12-23-2008 | 02:58 PM
|
You guys are ridiculous. You purchase a Ford which is "Built Ford Tough." Then you argue that they are grocery getters and have no off-road market. And finally (I was expecting it the minute I posted my question) someone chimes in that making a weak system stronger would be a down-grade.

Built Ford Tough isn't just marketing blitz. Its actually true. You know, they show you the bed bolts in the commercial and the frame sections and turbo props in the dealer displays.

Why you're pissing on your own truck's abilities is hard for me to understand.

EDIT: In fact, that Jeeps are "Trail Rated" is the true marketing blitz. Almost every part is stronger on a Ranger than on a Wrangler. Yet Wranglers are "designed" for off-roading and Rangers are not. Hmmmm.

Last edited by arrabil; 12-23-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2008 | 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
wouldn't it be...

Manual hubs downgrade?
Not by a long shot. Yet another super useless post from the Suzuki rider. Why are you even on this site ?

Anyways, companies make some damn stout, chromo hubs and internals. Far superior to anything we have in our 1/2 tons.

Originally Posted by arrabil
Well that makes me feel better. If I'd have known that I'd probably not have asked for a manual hub replacement to begin with. Glad to see Ford learned something from their previous vacuum systems!

Its a Borg Warner... I bet a slip yoke kit already exists if you had a half dozen cases your could take apart to figure out which parts are interchangeable. Know what I mean?

Yes! It is my soccer mom/grocery getter that insisted we need a full-size in the first place.

No, you're just being obtuse. I would be happy to get out and lock the hubs, but like you pointed out, its a lot nicer just to flip the switch in the warm cab. So the compromise on previous auto-hub systems has been to convert to manual hubs and always leave them locked in. Now you have the best of both worlds.

But also as you said, yes you put more wear and tear on your 4x4 system since it is always spinning. But it is not as much wear and tear as spinning and powered. So again, its a compromise. BUT, a spindle bearing won't leave you stuck waiting for someone to pull you out, while a broken hub will (ask me how I know).
Ya, they did learn a little bit, as slow as it may be. I am sure I can come up with a slip yoke kit, if not, make one. But still, would be nice to have a kit I can order up, and put in.

As for "always spinning" there are kits out there, that eliminate that on a manual hub. It will free up your internals, and net you some bettr MPG (just slightly) and also less wear on the front axle's internals. Kit is made by dynatrac. Called the "Free Spin upgrade" or something similar

Old 12-23-2008 | 03:13 PM
You guys are ridiculous. You purchase a Ford which is "Built Ford Tough." Then you argue that they are grocery getters and have no off-road market. And finally (I was expecting it the minute I posted my question) someone chimes in that making a weak system stronger would be a down-grade.

Built Ford Tough isn't just marketing blitz. Its actually true. You know, they show you the bed bolts in the commercial and the frame sections and turbo props in the dealer displays.

Why you're pissing on your own truck's abilities is hard for me to understand.

EDIT: In fact, that Jeeps are "Trail Rated" is the true marketing blitz. Almost every part is stronger on a Ranger than on a Wrangler. Yet Wranglers are "designed" for off-roading and Rangers are not. Hmmmm.
I simply tell you like it is. I dabble a little in the off road world, you can ask around. To think these 1/2 ton, super heavy, ifs equipped, electronic laden pick ups are good for off roading ? your pulling your own chain here bud.

They hype up the strength of towing, and hauling parts. Thats where they have the highest numbers over the "other guys". They don't advertise it as a off roading machine. It simply isn't. Again, largest factor is the TRUCK itself. Too heavy, to big, too much sheet metal (or body panels), not good ground clearence, not good approach angles, **** poor break over angles, IFS, electronics out the yang, IFS, weak transmission, IFS, its a friggin TRUCK !! Not a wheeler.

Yes, ford is tough. I am not "pissing on my truck's abilities" simply living in the real world. Again, I know a little about off roading. I know what can cut it, and what needs to stay on pavement. I will wheel my truck. I work it hard, and play in the mud. But i know its limitations, and am willing to state them, vs hide them.

Not exactly sure what your trying to argue here. Look around, most of these F150's will NEVER see dirt, let alone 4x4. They will never wheel hard, or play in deep mud. Go out to local trails, local mud pits, local competitions, anything, and you count how many new F150's are out there. Now go to your local elementary school, your local grocery store, now tell me how many you see. Its fact, as sad as it may be, its fact.

I'll refrain from the Heep comment.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 12-23-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2008 | 03:30 PM
MT, I understand your point about the F150 not being a great off road vehicle, but that's not really what it was designed to do. It was designed to haul better, be more reliable, and last longer than all other half ton pickups, and it does.

I do agree about a lot of F150s being used for daily drivers and grocery getters, but the beauty of it is that the trucks still do that well, and look good while doing it.

I personally use my truck a lot to pull trailers, haul wood, and I have to use 4x4 quite a bit to get to some areas. For me, it does a great job, but for someone like you who offroads more often, and much harder than I do, it probably just doesn't cut it.

Old 12-23-2008 | 03:36 PM
|
MercedesTech, I wasn't trying to argue anything about their off-road abilities. ATOM was when he said they weren't capable so they don't need manual hubs and so there is no market for them. Please read my past posts in this thread where I specifically said:

1) "I would rather have a more reliable system of engagement so that an IWE doesn't break exactly when I didn't need it to."

2) "AND you guys have missed my point and request in its entirety. I couldn't care less about hub strength. Check my sig, I off-road in a far more capable ride (with replacement manual hubs designed originally for a Jeep Cherokee mind you). I was hoping there was a system that eliminated the stupid vacuum engagement. Simple as that."

Find a single comment I made about the F-150s off-road superiority. Or how I planned on using it as such. I was just defending the ridiculous posts being made about markets and expected uses. Like you just said, it actually is plenty capable off-road as long as you know the limits of a full size with a weak tranny.

Again, I wasn't trying to start anything and I'm sorry it came across as such. I just wanted to know if there was a mechanical reason they couldn't make manual hubs for them. And it was rather frustrating that the only reasonable answer I got to that question in two pages of posts was your first one.

Old 12-23-2008 | 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by MOford21
MT, I understand your point about the F150 not being a great off road vehicle, but that's not really what it was designed to do. It was designed to haul better, be more reliable, and last longer than all other half ton pickups, and it does.
I do agree about a lot of F150s being used for daily drivers and grocery getters, but the beauty of it is that the trucks still do that well, and look good while doing it.

I personally use my truck a lot to pull trailers, haul wood, and I have to use 4x4 quite a bit to get to some areas. For me, it does a great job, but for someone like you who offroads more often, and much harder than I do, it probably just doesn't cut it.
Nailed it with the first part. That what I was trying to get across, but sucked !

But ya, I agree.

MercedesTech, I wasn't trying to argue anything about their off-road abilities. ATOM was when he said they weren't capable so they don't need manual hubs and so there is no market for them. Please read my past posts in this thread where I specifically said:

1) "I would rather have a more reliable system of engagement so that an IWE doesn't break exactly when I didn't need it to."

2) "AND you guys have missed my point and request in its entirety. I couldn't care less about hub strength. Check my sig, I off-road in a far more capable ride (with replacement manual hubs designed originally for a Jeep Cherokee mind you). I was hoping there was a system that eliminated the stupid vacuum engagement. Simple as that."

Find a single comment I made about the F-150s off-road superiority. Or how I planned on using it as such. I was just defending the ridiculous posts being made about markets and expected uses. Like you just said, it actually is plenty capable off-road as long as you know the limits of a full size with a weak tranny.

Again, I wasn't trying to start anything and I'm sorry it came across as such. I just wanted to know if there was a mechanical reason they couldn't make manual hubs for them. And it was rather frustrating that the only reasonable answer I got to that question in two pages of posts was your first one.

Aw, don't be sorry man, no worries. I though, since it was right after my post, and I did mention grocery getters, that you were talking to me. No big deal. I just wanted to explain where I was coming from. I wasn't trying to dog on the 150, or say it can't do anything, but just that it isn't superior in the off road world, and that the majority of F150 drivers don't see a need for manual hubs, so guys like me and you, are kinda SOL on that. I bounced around a lot in my reply, but I was trying to say just that.

Like you just said, it actually is plenty capable off-road as long as you know the limits of a full size with a weak tranny.
Keep that in mind, and keep the IFS fact in mind. Some of the parts in the IFS system aren't the strongest available. Those CV shafts for starters. Trust me, your not the only person thinking about these upgrades !

Sorry it took so long to get you the answer you were looking for. Its hard on an online forum sometimes. Lots of people, and lots of opinions. You know what they say about opinions. Just stay with it, and eventually you'll get whatcha need. Also, after you've been here awhile, you'll learn who to ask about what. makes things easier sometimes.

Old 12-23-2008 | 04:59 PM
Thankfully the f-150 system isnt like the older super duties where it needed vaccum to engage the hubs. My dads 01 f-250 had the auto hubs fail and the manual part wouldn't turn because the we broke the plastic trying to turn them with pliers. Plowing with that thing in 8'' of snow in 4x2 was no darn fun. The hubs were about 300 bucks a piece to replace too.

Old 12-23-2008 | 05:38 PM
I hope you're not lumping Me in the "Grocery Getter" category. I use my Truck,

Manual Hubs are a Nice upgrade, there must be some technical reason they haven't made them for the new F150's yet as they made them for all Previous years..

I Put Manual hubs in Both of my Rangers. Mile Marker's.

I guess I was planning to put Manual hubs in my 150 once these hubs blew up (which I give them credit, I haven't had any problems yet).

Manual Hubs are nice simply because they Work. Any Man afraid to get out of his truck and get a little "dirty" engaging his hubs should be driving a Mini Van anyway.

Old 12-23-2008 | 06:40 PM
Suspended
MercedesTech, ATOM was when he said they weren't capable so they don't need manual hubs and so there is no market for them.
i wish someone would have kept there ranger and then he could have manual hubs. if you offroad in a far more capable vehicle then why is the manual hubs such an issue? oh when you get a snowdrift at the mall? gotta havethe 4x4 kick in, whatever man, this thread is rubbish anyway. want hubs, buy a f250 then.

Last edited by ATOM; 12-23-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2008 | 07:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Find a single comment I made about the F-150s off-road superiority. Or how I planned on using it as such. I was just defending the ridiculous posts being made about markets and expected uses. Like you just said, it actually is plenty capable off-road as long as you know the limits of a full size with a weak tranny
lets look at this from an analytical aspect.

the 04-08 (and now 09) F-150 has been around since about Oct 2003.

Until the Spring of 2008, it was the #1 selling truck and vehicle in the world. Ford has built millions of these things...assuming only 1/4 of them are 4x4 models...we are still talking about a ton of trucks

You keep saying there is a market for manual hubs...but can you explain why after 5.5 yrs there still isn't a Manual Hub?

I can, it's because only a few extremists want manual hubs.
MT said it best. These trucks are Mall cruisers...not trailer crawlers. Look up Capt Morgan. He actually lost a damn tire and broke stuff left and right...because he was one of the few to actually wheel (and abuse) his truck.

there isn't a hub available because there isn't a market. The 60's through 1997 models have/had a huge aftermarket because the factory manual hubs blew...and so did the auto hubs (1992-1997).

They already existed, so aftermarket companies just upgraded as necessary. Nowadays, they don't exist, so a company would have to R&D them, do the tooling, the marketing...etc.

It ain't gonna happen.

btw, leaving your hubs locked in is stupid when driving around 4x2. some are designed for constant motion (Dodge, Jeep, 1970's Chevy with full-time t-case), but the majority are designed for part-time use.

by doing this, you are now placing wear upon alot of components not designed for it...and losing MPG's because your spinning the whole front axle/driveshaft for no good reason....other than being lazy and not wanting to get out of the truck...isn't that why we have auto hubs?
If you were to pull apart the axle's on those 2 trucks you quoted, you would find damage in there. I have seen the results of leaving the hub engaged...they get eaten up

Quick Reply: Manual hubs upgrade?