2004 - 2008 F-150

need lsd help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need lsd help

I searched but all I could find was people asking about the lsd slipping and clunking issue. I have this problem on my 05 and was wondering if anyone has replaced the limited slip with an aftermarket unit. I was leaning toward the tru trac.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Better find out how much it costs to install. You likely have to reset the gears to install a Tru Trac.

I don't know what issue you're talking about but it would be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to put in new LS clutches than to install a new carrier. But a Tru Trac is certainly better.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I had the same slippage and sometimes it would clunk, usually around a turn while giving it a little more gas than normal. Changed the differential fluid with Royal Purple 75W - 140 and some of the xl friction modifier from the dealer. It was a few months ago i did this, cant remember where but i found an article somewhere about it. Anyway it locks up instantly now. Hope this helps with your decision

Old 12-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

It's a limited slip, of course it will slip. If it were too tight all of the soccer mom's would complain about the chatter when they make tight turns and accelerate.
What exactly is the problem that you are having, and what are you expecting an aftermarket unit to change?
If you want a tighter limited slip, re-pack the clutches. There are a lot of write-ups online describing how to tighten up a trac-loc limited slip.
An aftermarket clutch based limited slip will work the same. A gear driven limited slip would be slightly different, very expensive, and require the gears by setup again.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I have the same problems alot of you have like hesitation and then a thump after a dead stop and a slow turn and it makes noise when turning on an incline. I know its the clutch pack so I wanted to switch to a truetrac since all the lightning guys seem to be happy with them.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Those are the exact behaviors you're looking for! You're winding up the axle and its getting released when there both shafts are traveling at the same speed. When it stops doing that you know the clutches are worn. A TT should do the same thing but smoother. Unless you have ~$900 burning a hole in your pocket, I wouldn't be thinking about a TT. And if I were getting a TT installed, I'd be getting new gearing at the same time since that wouldn't cost extra to install at the same time.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you guys are kinda describing Normal LSD behavior. The Clutches are slipping during the sharp turns and you're feeling that. You can add a bunch of Friction Modifier to allow the clutchs to slip Easier, but then the LSD may not engage like it should...

An Aftermarket set up with STronger Clutches will only Grab More in the sharp turns...

Quick Reply: need lsd help