2004 - 2008 F-150

CD-6 MP-3 sound system question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008 | 05:46 PM
|
CD-6 MP-3 sound system question

Hi everyone and thank you for all the helpful advice over the years. I have a 2005 Lariat Crew Cab with the 6CD/MP-3 head unit. I've never really noticed or cared too much about the sound system since it always worked and sounded great to my untrained ears. But I honestly (and ignorantly) always thought I had the top of the line factory Audiophile system. I was reading another thread recently and discovered that I must only have the standard CD6-MP-3 system since I do not have a subwoofer under my rear seat. Could anyone advise how difficult/expensive it would be to install the factory subwoofer and would there be a noticeable difference in performance? Also, does my current head unit have an amp to power the subwoofer? Thanks! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Old 12-25-2008 | 06:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you want an audiophile system, there is a lot more to it than just the sub.
The factory sub has it's own amp mounted right under the sub box, the front door speakers are better quality and are separates, the rear door speakers are of better quality, and the head unit itself has a third plug socket for the sub harness and an internal crossover built in.

Old 12-25-2008 | 10:54 PM
Saleen box sounds like the easiest option for you.

Old 12-26-2008 | 12:24 AM
Saleen box would be fairly easy and inexpensive.

Another alternative is to add an amp and subwoofer/box. Use a line out converter from the rear speaker wires to add the amp. Wiring is easy as well. You'll get better sound. Then again, if you've gone that far, you might as well replace the door speakers while you're at it. LOL.

Old 12-26-2008 | 02:17 AM
Just changing your speakers will make a huge difference and adding a sub will make it that much better.If you add an after market head unit you can add more control over equalizing your sound and you can run the amp pre outs direct from the head unit. plus its cheaper to add an ipod control or bluetooth to it. look at crutchfield.com for ideas but look online or at a wholesale place when you buy your system.

Old 12-26-2008 | 02:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If you are going to makes any audio changes at all, absolutely go aftermarket. Stock audio gear is total garbage.

Quick Reply: CD-6 MP-3 sound system question