2004 - 2008 F-150

Retro-Solutions HID

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008 | 11:54 PM
|
Retro-Solutions HID

I would like to hear some opinions on this set of HID's from people who have them. I dont mind spending the extra money to have a well made, reliable set of headlights. You can have the E-Bay Junk. I want to know I will always have my headlights. I have heard plenty of horor stories about the cheap s##t. These sound like the ticket.

--Are they reliable?
--What "temp" or color do you like best? 5000k-6000k, or ??
--35 watt or 55 watt.
--Will I be getting pulled over with these or are they toataly street legal??
--Tough to install??

Thanks alot for any help!!

Here is the set I was looking at........

http://www.retro-solutions.com/ADJD2SKIT.html

Old 12-27-2008 | 12:07 AM
D2S bulbs will no fit your truck. They are made for Factory projector housings. So are you looking for HIDs in your truck? What year?

Old 12-27-2008 | 01:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

1) nobody here has had retro's kit long enough to say if they are reliable or not. my "cheapo" ebay ones are 1.5 years old with no problems.
2) i like 6000k best.
3) they are NOT street legal, you could get pulled over. To avoid this, get a proper bixenon kit and aim them down quite a bit.
4) very easy to install if you can read english and know basic plug and play electronics.

Old 12-27-2008 | 08:52 AM
I have looked into getting these lights for a very long time and I decided to get these bulbs instead. www.piaa.com H13 for heads and 9006's for fogs.

Just a thought....

Old 12-27-2008 | 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by 07BlkScrew
I have looked into getting these lights for a very long time and I decided to get these bulbs instead. www.piaa.com H13 for heads and 9006's for fogs.

Just a thought....

Sorry, but no bulb replacements are going to even compare to an HID setup.

Old 12-27-2008 | 09:08 AM
|
I was looking to put them in my 08' f150. After spending hours reading a bunch of HID posts on here, it sounds like there are 200 different brands, none of wich more than 2 people have?

I HATE e-bay and dont trust ANYTHING sold there.

I dont mind spending the extra money, I just want a HIGH quality HID set-up for my F-150, and the more reading I do, the more I get confused.

Maybe I am better off just switching to PIAA or HELLA bulbs and be done with it. I sure like the bright *** HID's though!!

Are the PIAA bulbs brighter than the Silverstar I have now???

Last edited by Daybreak; 12-27-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
Sorry, but no bulb replacements are going to even compare to an HID setup.
Did I say that?? Don't think so. I was saying that if all eles fails try these bulbs, they are very good quality and will give you the nice bright clear white colour that he might be looking for. Daybreak, if you look at the H13 on www.piaa.com it will give you some information regarding that bulb wich is made for our trucks click the little red purchase sign (wont actualy purchase them) then read what it has to say. What I like about them is that they give us the option of having our high beams.

I was trying to help out.

Last edited by 07BlkScrew; 12-27-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2008 | 01:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by 07BlkScrew

I was trying to help out.

You did! Thanks! I have run PIAA bulbs and lights in the past and think they are second to none! When I got my 04', they did not make the H-13. I tried again in 05'....nope then 06'.....nope So I gave up hope. I am glad to see they make them now. With all the bulls##t that goes along with the HID's, I am not sure anymore that its worth it. I would love a set, but I cant find 3 people that all agree on 1 brand.....let alone a bunch of people.

I think I may just order the PIAA bulbs and be done with it. How would they compare to a Silverstar in our trucks??

Old 12-27-2008 | 01:51 PM
Suspended
Ive had mine for a few months now and have not had even the slightest glitch with the lights. (Except for my stupidity)

I have the 6000k 55w in my heads and fogs and love them. My dad has 6000k 55w heads and fogs in his 06 megacab, and a few of my friends have 5000k 55w heads. I am about to order another set for my KC daylighters.

Another thing with retro-solutions is the customer service. Todd really knows his stuff and is very willing to help you get your lights up and running no matter what the vehicle.

Retro-Solutions HID's also dont have any purple to them, unless asked. So 15000K is VERY BLUE.

Ive ran a set of 35w Ebay HID's in the same projectors I have now. They were not near as bright as the 55w's im running now. One 55w is nearly as bright as both of the 35w. Just make sure if you have the 06+ fogs you be careful with the 55w bulbs as they get hotter. I have an 04 with square fogs and have not had any issues yet.

Old 12-27-2008 | 04:11 PM
|
These are the brand that a few guys around here have. They have both high and low beam and are supposed to be plug-play.

Anybody seen these before??

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/produ...roducts_id=161

Old 12-27-2008 | 07:19 PM
I am pretty sure future vision has a video on youtube on install and how the finish product was. Future vision hid looks pretty promising, but for the price I rather just go with retro if it were up to me. I recently bought VISION-X bulbs for headlights and fogs and they made such a difference....but if you want the best best night vision you should go with HID.

If you cant afford HID, I suggest going with Vision-X bulb from modbargains.com

Quick Reply: Retro-Solutions HID