2004 - 2008 F-150

The fuel smell is gone!...Finally.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:32 PM
|
Talking The fuel smell is gone!...Finally.

Thanks to earlier posts by forum members, I've finally gotten rid of the fuel smell that I had in the cab of my truck when running the defrost. It turned out to be TWO loose spark plugs. Both plugs weren't even hand tight! I had the dealership change the plugs earlier this year. And and have since taken it back for the fuel smell, which of course they claimed they couldn't reproduce.

Now, I want to give my Ford tech the benefit of the doubt because I just know he wouldn't have left these plugs that loose....so, has anyone had any problems with the spark plugs on the 3 valve Triton engine backing out? I'm going to closely monitor this two plugs in the next few months to verify.

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:43 PM
Truck of the Month
Glad you got that figured out! I have never heard of these plugs backing out on the 3v 5.4 engines. That would be a first for me.

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:47 PM
Funny you mention this, I changed removed my plugs yesterday to clean and lube them I noticed that they came out WAY to easy, I was expecting them to be seized in or break off like a lot of people have been mentioning here. My engine build date is 4/27/07 if I remember correctly.

Old 12-30-2008 | 09:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor
I'd have your engine examined further. I'm surprised it didn't throw a CEL from the fuel not combusting correctly or the COP didn't melt from the hot gasses.

Old 01-01-2009 | 12:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I'd have your engine examined further. I'm surprised it didn't throw a CEL from the fuel not combusting correctly or the COP didn't melt from the hot gasses.
The plug wires from the two loose plugs had brownish soot on them, but no signs of melting on them nor the COPs.
I agree..seems like the CEL should have come on or a rough idle.

Quick Reply: The fuel smell is gone!...Finally.