2004 - 2008 F-150

Torque Conv. Lockup Indicator or Switch...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:50 PM
|
Torque Conv. Lockup Indicator or Switch...

Im looking to install an indicator light to tell when my TC is locked up or not and wondering if anyone has done this? Its pretty easy to tell when it is or isnt locked up, but sometimes when towing or under certian conditions it can be a bit tricky, then I start to freak out thinking Ive been going miles with my TC unlocked and Im going to shell a tranny. Peice of mind, and the fact that I like to monitor stuff, is really why I want to put one in.

Ive searched alittle but cant find a diagram to let me know what wire controls TC lockup. Does anyone have a diagram or done this before that could tell me what color of wire I need to be looking for?
Truck is an 06 5.4 with th3 4R75E.

AAllllllsoooo, has anyone put in a TC lockout switch? Done it on older vehicles, but Im not too sure about doing it on a vehicle this new with all the electronic crap. Does anyone know if this would be fine to do, or will it cause problems with the computer when it check for lockup, shifts, etc...causing tranny codes to be set or even improper tranny function.
I would assume it would cause a mess of problems and send the computer into a frenzy, but I thought I would ask and see if anyone has done this.

Old 12-30-2008 | 09:05 PM
my gryphon tells me when it is locked when you put the gear # on the display... when it locks, you see a picture of a padlock to let you know you are good to go when towing..

maybe a scan gauge will also, i know those are much cheaper..

Old 12-30-2008 | 09:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by shorse
my gryphon tells me when it is locked when you put the gear # on the display... when it locks, you see a picture of a padlock to let you know you are good to go when towing..

maybe a scan gauge will also, i know those are much cheaper..
The scan gauge doesn't offer it... but if the gryphon is reading it, then SG needs to find which hex codes they are so it will show up on the SG X-Gauges....

Maybe someone should shoot'em an email?!

Old 12-31-2008 | 01:46 AM
If you manually lock and unlock the TCC with a switch you will get a transmission fault for either excessive slippage with the TCC locked or uncommanded TCC lock, then the transmission will go into "limp mode".
When the PCM locks or unlocks the TCC it compares the transmission input shaft speed to the output shaft speed to determine if the TCC is locked or unlocked. If the PCM sends a signal to lock the TCC and you override the command with the switch the PCM sees the slippage and thinks the transmission has a fault so it protects itself by going into "limp mode"

Old 12-31-2008 | 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
The scan gauge doesn't offer it... but if the gryphon is reading it, then SG needs to find which hex codes they are so it will show up on the SG X-Gauges....

Maybe someone should shoot'em an email?!
this may be an f150online first, but i agree with manual...we need to figure out this hex code.

Old 01-01-2009 | 06:28 PM
Wouldn't that be the converter speed ration on scanguage?

Old 01-01-2009 | 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by icavan
Wouldn't that be the converter speed ration on scanguage?
it very well could be. im in on this one to learn.

Quick Reply: Torque Conv. Lockup Indicator or Switch...