2004 - 2008 F-150

My Thousand Dollar Christmas Rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ManualF150
That's why I love my '07... there is so much room in the engine compartment because the engine is so small, it makes repairs a heck of a lot quicker and easier. Sometimes having the bigger engine isn't such a wise choice when it might mean a $200 difference in a repair bill.
i wouldn't care is the bill was 1000 bucks difference, buying a truck is like buying a bass boat, same rules apply~biggest motor possible. and how much repairing have you done on 07 anyway?

Last edited by ATOM; 01-01-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by ATOM
i wouldn't care is the bill was 1000 bucks difference, buying a truck is like buying a bass boat, same rules apply~biggest motor possible. and how much repairing have you done on 07 anyway?
I had a blown head gasket which required pretty much the entire engine taken apart. I'd say 3/4 of it... but it didn't require pulling because there was plenty of room to work.

Plus, getting to everything in there is a breeze for when I need to do repairs. I think there is more room in there than there is in my lawn tractor engine compartment.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Suspended
I had a blown head gasket which required pretty much the entire engine taken apart. I'd say 3/4 of it... but it didn't require pulling because there was plenty of room to work.
didn't ford fix that?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by ATOM
didn't ford fix that?
Yes, and the mechanics who fixed it for me were happy they didn't have to pull it. Plus it left me with a much smaller downtime than if they had to pull it.

Generally, anything big like that, usually requires the engine to be pulled completely. But if you can line up head gaskets right in the engine compartment and put everything back together in the engine compartment... there is one of two things wrong with this picture... that is either the guy who is doing the work has done this in his sleep, OR you can fit a small mechanic or two in your engine compartment.

I'd say I could fit myself completely in my engine compartment and close the hood. I wonder if I could steal a small mechanic from a Ford dealer and shove them in my engine compartment -- they'll never know!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but it didn't require pulling because there was plenty of room to work.
I sat inside my engine bay while installing my supercharger on the 5.4

once you remove the fan/shroud, there is alot of room in there. Took my motor from factory setup to the intake removed and back with new top end without any real clearance issue.

but I do miss my old 71 C-10 truck...even with a big block you could comfortably sit on the fender and wrench

Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably a little truth on all sides here. Here's why:

Generally speaking, the first year or two of a redesigned truck can have bugs (that usually get worked out). That's why I don't think it's a super idea to rush out and get the latest greatest thing. For example, I know there's many people that wished they'd have got that last model of the 7.3PS rather than the new 6.0 in the SD/Ex trucks.

That said, I have two 06 Scab 4X4's...one my own FX4 and the other my XLT work truck. Both trucks sometimes fail to start on the first time and then show "check gauges" on the odometer display. And then they always start, although a little weak, on the second try. I have yet to figure that out, but I'm not a Ford tech either.
As for the brakes, my XLT sometimes gets a fluttering action when applying the brakes, usually when offroad. It also feels a little spongy. But my FX4 brakes feel much nicer and I have yet to feel the flutter.

Finally, I have no idea how the fella drives, but that is probably part of it. My wife goes through pads/rotors on the HO (honda odessy) like she does toilet paper. And tires too...

Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by AUForester
Finally, I have no idea how the fella drives, but that is probably part of it. My wife goes through pads/rotors on the HO (honda odessy) like she does toilet paper. And tires too...
Historically speaking, brake shops would hate me - because brakes last forever with me. Even though F150's have never been known for great brakes, I never replaced fronts before about 55,000 miles and rears, well, I always traded my truck in with original brakes. So, we can be pretty sure it's not me.

As I looked through the replies to my original post / rant, I noticed that almost everybody zeroed in on the brake issues. Remember, the brakes were only about 1/3 of my Christmas grand here. So what has the truck gone through (other than what I'd consider "routine" maintenance) in 72,000 miles? Let me give you a partial list from memory:

- Cam Phasers (replaced at about 2,000 miles)
- Front Brake Pads (replaced 3 times)
- Front Rotors (replaced twice)
- Front Calipers (both replaced by 72,000 miles)
- Rear Brake Pads (replaced twice and 3rd time coming shortly)
- Rear Rotors (Replaced once and second time coming shortly)
- Rear Calipers (Replaced once at 64,000 miles)
- Windshield Cowlings (Repaired or replaced twice - still loose)
- ESOF motor (replaced at 38,000 miles)
- IWE Solenoid (replaced at 38,000 miles)
- Serpentine Belt Tensioner (Replaced at 62,000 miles)
- Serpentine Belt Idler (Replaced at 63,000 miles)
- Fuel Pump Driver Module (Replaced at 72,000 miles)
- Fuel Pump and Sender Unit (Sender is bad, just waiting to replace)
- Alternator (going in this week)
- Right Side IWE (about to be replaced)
- Spark Plugs (If I can find somebody who knows what they're doing and have it cost less than $500, I'd do it tomorrow)

So, anybody think that's acceptable for a truck that get's pampered?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Historically speaking, brake shops would hate me - because brakes last forever with me. Even though F150's have never been known for great brakes, I never replaced fronts before about 55,000 miles and rears, well, I always traded my truck in with original brakes. So, we can be pretty sure it's not me.

As I looked through the replies to my original post / rant, I noticed that almost everybody zeroed in on the brake issues. Remember, the brakes were only about 1/3 of my Christmas grand here. So what has the truck gone through (other than what I'd consider "routine" maintenance) in 72,000 miles? Let me give you a partial list from memory:

- Cam Phasers (replaced at about 2,000 miles)
- Front Brake Pads (replaced 3 times)
- Front Rotors (replaced twice)
- Front Calipers (both replaced by 72,000 miles)
- Rear Brake Pads (replaced twice and 3rd time coming shortly)
- Rear Rotors (Replaced once and second time coming shortly)
- Rear Calipers (Replaced once at 64,000 miles)
- Windshield Cowlings (Repaired or replaced twice - still loose)
- ESOF motor (replaced at 38,000 miles)
- IWE Solenoid (replaced at 38,000 miles)
- Serpentine Belt Tensioner (Replaced at 62,000 miles)
- Serpentine Belt Idler (Replaced at 63,000 miles)
- Fuel Pump Driver Module (Replaced at 72,000 miles)
- Fuel Pump and Sender Unit (Sender is bad, just waiting to replace)
- Alternator (going in this week)
- Right Side IWE (about to be replaced)
- Spark Plugs (If I can find somebody who knows what they're doing and have it cost less than $500, I'd do it tomorrow)

That is all pretty ridiculous. I would be very frustrated too.

Mine:
1600 miles-Throttle body problem. They fixed it, not sure what it was
11,000 miles-Changed brake pads due to excessive dust
16,500 miles-Dealer reflash to correct excessive hesitation
33,100 miles-Added Edge Evo, could no longer take its slugishness
41,000 miles-Changed front rotors, due to bad wheel bearing
60,000 miles-painted cowl due to fading
65,500 miles- successfully changed spark plugs

I have 80,000 on her now and she is running great

Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
That is all pretty ridiculous. I would be very frustrated too.
Bluejay,

Thanks for hearing me out. Although this is the best looking and driving Ford truck I've ever had, it's trying my patience - and my wallet as of late. Hopefully some others will see why I'm moaning right now and not write me off as a whiner. I can't afford to sell it, but keeping it is getting pretty expensive too. Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Contributor
Bluejay,

Thanks for hearing me out. Although this is the best looking and driving Ford truck I've ever had, it's trying my patience - and my wallet as of late. Hopefully some others will see why I'm moaning right now and not write me off as a whiner. I can't afford to sell it, but keeping it is getting pretty expensive too. Happy New Year!

I'm lucky I know how to fix a lot of stuff automotive wise, especially the simple stuff like brakes, coolant swaps, oil/filter/lube jobs, along with the transmission/diff fluid swaps, to serpentine belts, pulleys, and most anything else. But depending on what it is there are a few things I won't mess with, unless I absolutely had to. So brakes and most wear and tear stuff, I can fix... but the parts still cost money.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I would be very upset if i were in that position as well, my point was that just because you have had a bad experience with your truck, does not mean that the brakes are junk. many people have had no problems with them.

i apologize if i came across rude, you deserve a chance to vent your frustration. i hope things improve for you.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
I would be very PO'd if I were having all of those issues as well. Knock on wood I'm not though. I just had my truck in to the local Ford dealership for my annual safety inspection and luckily nothing failed inspection. The only warranty work I had done on my truck was when my passenger side window controls quit working and they had to replace them. I just went out of warranty about a month ago and so far so good. I am driving my truck a lot less now that I am living in Hawaii and I recently purchased a motorcycle.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Unhappy Quick Question now that you have peaked my interest!!

I own a 05 SC and just crossed over the 50k mark and had a couple issues come up.

Now I have had some weird start up issues show up randomly, with no pattern, and not on a regular basis. I turn the truck over and it just fumbles. Then I wait a second and try again and it fires up.
Next I've had it happen twice that I started the truck up in a parking spot at the store (with the radio on so I couldnt hear the exhaust), put it in reverse, backed out and then went to move to D and the truck apparently died. Lost power steering, then coasted to a stop. Display said Check Gauges and the battery light was on, but radio, AC, and headlights were all on and strong.

My initial thought was something fuel related. I dont see it being a injector issue with a complete shutdown, but who knows.

Another issue, I went WOT and had the engine stumble and buck, so I let off quickly; fairly frustrated. This issue screamed fuel injectors to me.

My driver window motor is probably on its way out as well. It delays and seems to struggle. Im weary of rolling it down and having it stuck down in the snow up here but have no choice.

Brakes are worn, but I expected that. Like mentioned its a heavy truck. My only gripe is the stock pads and they're dusting. The combination of them and road grime destroyed my rims. The rears are halfway decent, the fronts are now winter junk.
I plan on upgrading to EBC rotors and pads and always intended to anyways so no big deal on the brake aspect for me.

Overall I'm not mad at the truck, I am a little irritated with the methodical way the 04/05's have fuel issues though.

Any one have the same experience and any advice?

Last edited by Moltenice; 01-04-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moltenice
My driver window motor is probably on its way out as well. It delays and seems to struggle.
TSB 07-2-6

POWER WINDOW SLOW UPWARD TRAVEL

Publication Date: January 17, 2007

FORD: 2005-2007 F-150
LINCOLN: 2006-2007 Mark LT

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 F-150 and 2006-2007 Mark LT vehicles equipped with power windows may experience a customer concern of slow power window travel when raising the window; it may be due to a concern with the alignment of the window glass.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Lower the window completely, and measure the amount of time it takes for the glass to travel from the fully open to fully closed position.
If the time is less then six (6) seconds then DO NOT perform this TSB.
If the time required to move the glass from the fully open to fully closed position is greater than six (6) seconds, continue with this TSB.
Inspect the glass runs to make sure they are not wavy and causing additional resistance to the glass.
Remove the door panel following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-05, access the glass clamps through the openings in the door sheet metal. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 07-2-6

Loosen the glass clamps (using a 1/4" drive T-30 Torx socket).
After loosening the glass clamps, the glass should be pushed up into the header, by hand, then shifted rearward, until it stops against the rear window run seal, and then lowered back into the clamps. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 07-2-6

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE WINDOW IS SEATED IN THE BOTTOM OF THE GLASS CLAMPS. TIGHTEN BOTH CLAMPS AND VERIFY PROPER WINDOW PERFORMANCE, BY AGAIN TIMING GLASS CLOSING SPEED.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Thank you... Printed for safe keeping!

Quick Reply: My Thousand Dollar Christmas Rant