2004 - 2008 F-150

Flapping Wiper Blades cheap fix....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009 | 12:32 AM
|
Flapping Wiper Blades cheap fix....

Right after I bought my truck new the windshield had to be replaced. Around the same time I put a bug deflector on the front. At some point I noticed my wiper blades were flopping (wind-lift) in the wind a bit...Over 80mph quite a bit so I go back to the dealer thinking it was related to the windshield change and they blame it on the bug deflector so I lived with it (because I hadn't noticed for sure prior to the windshield change).
At some point I ordered new PIAA wiper blades and only got one @$22 (still floped a bit).
During routine service they changed the other blade and it still flopped at speed and wore out quickly starting to leave the rubber scuff marks at the end of outward travel.

Today I see Rain-X Latitude wiper blades for $8 ea. so I buy one and notice there are choices between "built in spoiler" and "vents" when you by wiper blades.

Vented blades flop at speed on my truck but the built in spoiler types do not so at $8 dollars per blade versus $16 ea. (I think) for OEM or $22 ea. for PIAA the are the best functional bargain and the frame design is ice resistant with no exposed metal (vented are not).

Last edited by Old Dogg™; 01-11-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2009 | 12:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor
I bought a set of them things and they are junk! Especially in the winter time. Bought some cheap Anco ones, and they've been working great...

Old 01-11-2009 | 12:40 AM
|
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I bought a set of them things and they are junk! Especially in the winter time. Bought some cheap Anco ones, and they've been working great...
What year truck did you buy them for?
Also Rain-X makes 2 types. The Weatherbeaters are more of a traditional type spring blade the Latitudes is curved and lays flat.

Old 01-11-2009 | 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
What year truck did you buy them for?
Also Rain-X makes 2 types. The Weatherbeaters are more of a traditional type spring blade the Latitudes is curved and lays flat.
Latitudes because I got a coupon for them...

I swap my wiper blades 4 times a year in any case.

Old 01-11-2009 | 12:55 AM
|
Latitudes because I got a coupon for them...

I swap my wiper blades 4 times a year in any case.
Did your wipers ever flap (wind-lift)?

Old 01-11-2009 | 03:17 AM
Suspended
Sorry.. Have had a few drinks, so I'm not gentle.

If you thought by buying PIAA brand anything, that it would somehow be better, you're an idiot. 'SPECIALLY wiper blades.. I mean, thats just retarded.

Old 01-11-2009 | 01:13 PM
|
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
Sorry.. Have had a few drinks, so I'm not gentle.

If you thought by buying PIAA brand anything, that it would somehow be better, you're an idiot. 'SPECIALLY wiper blades.. I mean, thats just retarded.
Well....
Im not drunk and not usually gentle so...
If you think your personal issue with a brand alone makes their product inferior, that is stupid reasoning...All these years not understanding that companies don't always make the products they sell under their name brand is also retarded.

For the record they sell a better quality blade than OEM. Just because you don't like them doesn't change the fact.
Thanks for your opinion doe.

Old 01-11-2009 | 07:29 PM
Suspended
Haha.. Just looking at your sig alone, I'm beating a dead horse..

Just reminds me of my co-worker who insists on spending $200 on PIAA headlights that are no better then $40 Silverstars in any way, shape or form. Have fun wasting money.

Old 01-11-2009 | 09:36 PM
The bug deflector's cause more turbulence at the base of the windshield and lift the wiper's. I have the same problem if I do 75-80 mph into a 50mph headwind.

Old 01-11-2009 | 10:35 PM
Anco is my fav too....always a perfect wipe, and I buy one set a year.

Old 01-12-2009 | 12:39 AM
|
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
Haha.. Just looking at your sig alone, I'm beating a dead horse..

Have fun wasting money.
Why would you waste your time beating a dead horse?
Man who worries about another mans money is usually either broke or a hater...which are you?
When you start passing money my way you can have fun with me wasting my money otherwise I will have fun alone.

Originally Posted by PawPaw
The bug deflector's cause more turbulence at the base of the windshield and lift the wiper's. I have the same problem if I do 75-80 mph into a 50mph headwind.
I wanted to blame the windshield swap but I have heard others say they got the wind-lift also.
Though they are new and I don't know about durability the Rain-X Latitudes seem to be a bargain at $8 and they sit solid as a rock up to 90mph with 40 mph gust. I doubt they will see much snow or ice.
Manual F150 never said why they suck in his opinion?
In almost 5 years of daily driving in an area with an annual average rainfall of 40+ inches, I have had to change wiper blades 1 time due to wear. I replaced 1 blade with a $22 PIAA silicone blade and it's been good for 3 years and not a single squeak.
Can you figure out the bargain?

Old 01-12-2009 | 02:23 AM
My $4 Anco (or Pylon, maybe) blades that I just put on do the same as the stockers did. At 60 MPH or more, the driver's side skips and buffets, and does a horrible job of clearing water and debris. I do not have a bug deflector shield.

When I first bought my truck (used) the driver's wiper arm seemed bent in an arc, and stuck up much more than the passenger side wiper. I hopped out, and with a quick bend or two, it was straight, and like the passenger side.

Looking back, and now that I have the high speed skipping and air catching under it, I realize that either the previous owner or dealer had given the wiper a bit more arch, in turn giving a bit more force against the windshield, to lessen the problem. I am going to bend it back a little and see if it helps. Not sure how much this will actually do, as the spring that provides the force, is probably weak.

As an aside, my wipers also make a lot of clunking, and seem wobbly, after they are on for 10 minutes or so. They just seem like something gets loose after a while. Its wierd. Maybe I should ask my dealer for a couple new wiper arms....

Old 01-12-2009 | 02:41 AM

so everyone who experiences the hopping has a bug deflector?

I've never experienced this. at 75 mph my blades sit still...they do jump a little if I use them at those speeds though, but that is to be expected

I also use the $6 Anco or Rain-X wipers in a 22" size. 1 good one for the drivers side, and 1 cheapie for the passenger...honestly don't really care how good they can see

also, my OCD nature makes me change them out every 1-2 months...I absolutely hate dirty wipers and streaks drive me bat****

Old 01-12-2009 | 11:42 AM
|
Originally Posted by Jimbo45
As an aside, my wipers also make a lot of clunking, and seem wobbly, after they are on for 10 minutes or so. They just seem like something gets loose after a while. Its wierd. Maybe I should ask my dealer for a couple new wiper arms....
Originally Posted by Tylus
so everyone who experiences the hopping has a bug deflector?

I've never experienced this. at 75 mph my blades sit still...they do jump a little if I use them at those speeds though, but that is to be expected

I also use the $6 Anco or Rain-X wipers in a 22" size. 1 good one for the drivers side, and 1 cheapie for the passenger...honestly don't really care how good they can see

also, my OCD nature makes me change them out every 1-2 months...I absolutely hate dirty wipers and streaks drive me bat****
I have been told that even different tire sizes can change the laminar airflow on a vehicle as well as aftermarket grills, lights, ect....almost any change to the front of the vehicle from stock can change airflow in a positive or negative way.

There are a number of post that discuss the wind-lift problem on the 04 and later F-150's. I took my deflector off and they still move under the right conditions of high speed and wind gust. The flutter caused MY blades to fail faster and I average +30K miles a year. In the windy High Desert of CA they really fluttered.

As far as noise, I hate squeaky wiper blades so for some years I have used some variation of Rain-X to make the blades glide and keep the windshield as clean as possible...
This is why I bought the PIAA silicone blades with silicone imbeded in the blades. They have lasted a very long time and have never made a sound.
The wedge style of the Rain-X Latitude blade uses wind down force so I dont think they will flutter as others have.

Old 01-12-2009 | 07:11 PM
I also had the driver's side chatter and skip over 70 mph on my '04 and '06 Anything below 70 was fine. I finally bought some Bosch blades that are total rubber. They look like a fin and I've had them for over a year and they are perfect. I can go over 70 in any type of rain and have no chatter or skipping on either wiper. When they get a little dirty or start streaking, an alcohol swab and they are back to new.

Quick Reply: Flapping Wiper Blades cheap fix....